atlanta hotspots??

patch553

Original Poster
hi getting a little nervous about reading that it can be a nightmare driving through Atlanta.We are flying over from the uk in may doing a cruise to start then driving from wdw to Talladega and mapquest says we will driving up the I-75 to I-20 are these roads particularly busy? is there a time of day to try and avoid? any info would be great thanks

kap91

75 and 20 near Atlanta can be extremely busy and traffic awful. Recently 85 just collapsed too, so even more cars are using the other roads (though you should be far enough south to avoid that). The best time of day to hit that stretch would be the late night or early, early morning. If you can't do that, midday should be okay.

That being said, at most you're talking like an 1.5-2 hour delay, so not the end of the world.

lazyboy97o

The intersection of I-75 and I-20 is right in the middle of Atlanta. It is very busy and rush hour is long. That said, you probably do not need to go inside "The Perimeter" unless you are looking to stop and visit something in the city itself. The Perimeter is I-285, a ring road that encircles Atlanta. You can take I-75 to I-285 to I-20 and skirt around the city itself.

What you should look into is the ongoing (but I think nearly complete) construction south of the city near McDonough. That can really bring traffic to a halt. You can avoid it somewhat easily if you're willing to be a bit adventurous and detour off the interstate.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
hi getting a little nervous about reading that it can be a nightmare driving through Atlanta.We are flying over from the uk in may doing a cruise to start then driving from wdw to Talladega and mapquest says we will driving up the I-75 to I-20 are these roads particularly busy? is there a time of day to try and avoid? any info would be great thanks
Get of I-75 at Route 82. That'll take you NW through Albany and Columbus, then into AL. It's back roads, but ultimately won't be that much longer (if at all) than going up through Atlanta....

Rob562

If you'll have a cell phone with data in the US, consider using a GPS app that includes live traffic info like Google Maps or Waze. They'll route you around traffic delays as best as they can.

-Rob

patch553

Original Poster
thank you all for youre reponses,looking into google maps again if we do go the I-75 to I-20 route we'll be passing through around 1-2 oclock int the afternoon. we'll have a sat nav so ill have a look into the bypass route options thanks again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom