Trip Report The mistakes that I learned from..Trip back in time..

Friends, I've been thinking,

I need a major distraction, and also, I received too many compliments for my laid back style..
I'm going to continue on the trip report binge and do a comparison of our 2015 trip here. It won't be as long.. I promise. If you want to follow along with my madness, you are welcome. I've had a rough past few days and need something to keep me busy.

So here it goes.. first I should change the title though..
ETA- actually its easier to do in a separate thread.

So here I am....

21stamps

Original Poster
I had wanted to take T to Hemingway House, but after lunch he spotted Ripley's Believe It or Not.

It wasn't on my itinerary, but our kayak trip and wave runners were both cancelled due to weather, so I decided that we could fit this in.

I'm actually very glad that we did!! We both had a lot of fun!!

IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG
IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
After Ripley's T had an opportunity to play with a parrot.

IMG_2647.JPG

This unplanned/cancelled plans afternoon wasn't so bad after all :)

We went back to the hotel, hung out there for awhile, and then went out to dinner with a few of my friends.

The day ended up a success.. and I just KNEW that the rain/storms will leave tomorrow!!

We'll get some beach time then..and we'll finally go out on the water. I know it will..Mother Nature won't do this to us..

21stamps

Original Poster
Our family vacations were always jam packed with something and consisted of me, mom, my grandparents, my uncle and aunt, and their granddaughter. We could never agree on the same things so we often had breakfast together then me, mom, aunt, and cousin would go out in one group and my grandparents and uncle would go do their own thing. Then meet up for dinner and do things together in the evening. I don't even think I got an afternoon nap LOL. The only concession they gave me, and it was for the sake of a relaxing family vacation, was that we would stay at a place with a pool. Didn't matter if it had a slide or was inside or out...I had to have a swimming pool (it was also simpler times:D). If I behaved during the day then I was allowed to go swimming at night before bed. Good enough for me. Ha! But because I was so used to all the vacations being "go, go, go" that's what I like to do now. I drive my husband crazy because I just can't sit and relax any place. I literally have to be moving all the time lol. Luckily, I don't have kids because I would be totally outnumbered with them against me and my overplanned spreadsheets :)

Ha ha! That sounds nice!

I don't why I'm the crazy structured vacation person that I am. My parents weren't like me at all.. sure, we did a lot of stuff while on vacation, but we had plenty of downtime for the pool and beach. I schedule downtime in small increments lol.

My mom's aunts uncles, grandparents, all lived/live in Philadelphia. A group of them does summers on the Shore, so we would all go there too. It was a big group of us. We'd hang out on the beach, or boating and fishing during the day.. but we'd also split up and go to the Wildwood Boardwalk.
Out other vacations were my immediate family, and my dad's Mom on a lot of them when she was alive. We stuck together on those...mostly.. I had made my own friends where we always stayed, so once I was teen then I always wanted to hang out with them instead of my parents.lol. I had to go out for dinners and putt putt with the fam though...but I had some freedom. I don't see T ever getting that ;) lol

21stamps

Original Poster
I haven't talked about one of my favorite things in Key West-

The Sunsets!!!

We were staying on the Atlantic side of the island, so we did get to see the sunrise, the first morning before the rain came, but we had yet to see a beautiful sunset. The weather was just too cloudy.

We woke up to another heavy rain at 7am.
I. Was. Broken.
Emotionally broken.

I came to Key West to get off of the island!! Not stay on it the entire time!!
The true beauty of KW is what is just OFFSHORE.

2 more days til Dry Tortugas.. this rain MUST PASS before then. It MUST. That day is the highlight of this entire trip.

So back to the sunsets..almost..
This whole day was a wash. Literally.
We ate breakfast at the hotel, we went out for more Cuban sandwiches for lunch, we parked right by and ran thru the rain to visit Harry Truman's Little White House.
..and back to the hotel again.
A beautiful hotel with a beautiful pool and beach, and we have yet to use it ONCE!

The rain finally looked to be letting up, I was DETERMINED to see a Sunset tonight at Mallory Square. Please Mother Nature, please cooperate with me!!!

I wanted T to see the entertainers, the food, the Keys atmosphere, and the breathtaking sunset.

Off we go.. but first, dinner and a bit of shopping at one of my favorite spots.

Anything you can think of that contains Key Lime- Jams, Jellies, Salsa, Pies, Cookies, Macaroons, Fudge, Pretzels..I purchased them all and shipped them home.lol I love me some Key Lime.
IMG_1855.JPG

Then we walked around and enjoyed Schooners Wharf..

IMG_2648.JPG

T chased a chicken and a chicken chased T

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

Awww, sweet boy, right?
IMG_1893.JPG

Here's the sweet boy pretending to get hit by a boat.
This kid is such an oddball sometimes.lol
IMG_1895.JPG

And now... one of my fave restaurants..
...and best in the country Key Lime Martinis... Conch Republic Seafood Factory.
It was a little (a lot) windy, but I didn't care. We are sitting by the water darn it! Wind or not.
IMG_1908.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
We finished our appetizers- conch, jumbo coconut shrimp, and hearts of palm, Main course- lobster for both of us, Dessert- we were stuffed so we shared a slice of Key Lime Pie. I had 2 Martini's and 2 waters as well.

Then we go to my much anticipated--

Mallory Square Sunset Celebration!!

But wait!

Where are all of the entertainers???

Where are the fire people, the tight ropes, Silverman?? Where is everyone??? This is NOT a Sunset Celebration!!!!

They weren't there :(

Deep Breath, Kimberly, Deep Breath. It's ok.
Everything is OK.
I'm holding back tears as I tell T to come sit on the wall with me.

"Umm, Mommy, didn't you say this was a party?"

"It is T. It's our party!"

"You're weird, mommy."

I know son, I know.

Let's sit and pretend that the sunset is beautiful.

I Ohhh and Aww. When really all I wanted to do was cry. The sunset was not as beautiful as I know it should be . :(
IMG_1934.JPG

And now comes rain again...
IMG_2651.JPG

Short lived luckily.

We sit back down and stare at the horizon.
I hate these clouds!!!! I'm whining, I know.. but omg I was so sad.
IMG_2650.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
We exit the Sunset Non-Celebration.

Visit the Sculpture Garden.
IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

T meets a "real" mermaid.

IMG_2658.JPG

He asks me to take a photo of this window so I can remember to buy this Cube for Christmas- for him. I told him then that I wasn't, but he wanted me to take the photo "just in case I change my mind"
I asked him to buy me the window painting for Christmas. He replied, Just ask Santa.
Neither one of us got the painting or the Cube on Christmas Morning.lol

IMG_2034.JPG

We watched a band from outside of a bar..

IMG_2041.JPG

And like any good Mom would.. I take a photo of my son with Captain Morgan..

IMG_2081.JPG

...and in front of another bar... this is totally appropriate for a 5 year old...isn't it? ;)

IMG_2048.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
I'm a gelato addict.. everyone who knows me realizes this. And while I'm not a wine addict (I swear!), I do like wine.

So then.. How could I pass up an Authentic Italian Wine And Gelato shop?

I couldn't. Even though we both ate a humongous dinner, we stopped for gelato..and wine.

IMG_2040.JPG

Afterwards T insisted on making a call from the "funny phone". I had to show him how to hold it!! #generationgap

IMG_2057.JPG

He also insisted on getting his photo taken in front of this monkey head. Every. Single. Time. That. We. Passed. It. Lol

IMG_2080.JPG

He asked for a painting to "remember Key West" (as if I don't have enough photos!)

I agree to one. So we start looking..

T finds one that he "LOVES!" I inquiry about the price-
$2100.00

Yeah, um, No. Sorry, T. I haven't had that much alcohol.

I ask the artist how much the small ones are. Still out of my price range.. "What about those tiny ones on the wall?"

Ok, these are a palatable price.

T picks one of the Overseas Railroad and Seven Mile Bridge.

IMG_2064.JPG

Then he experiences a hurricane...

IMG_2655.PNG

It's after 10pm... probably time to take my kid off of Duval Street..

IMG_2074.JPG

We leave and go visit my friends again. T and her daughter stayed up way too late. I cried to my friend about how annoyed I was with the weather.. we gossiped a bit..

And T and I finally left for bed.

The evening was still a good time.

I just know that the sun WILL be shining when we wake up tomorrow!!

MySmallWorldof4

It's a new day!!!

Beach- Round 2!

This time we'll stick to a Free one.lol

We go in front of our hotel, watersports are closed and umbrellas tied up.

No one else is swimming. I decide that T shouldn't swim either.
But, you can still play in the sand T!!

(If you don't get blown over)
View attachment 197859 View attachment 197860

Where is my beautiful water???

T's bucket keeps blowing away, so we gave up and decided to walk on the pier.

We can walk down the steps and get in for a bit. We can also look for Tarpon and Turtles!
We're still having fun, T! Don't worry!
(I think I was trying to convince myself as much as I was convincing him)
View attachment 197861

The, once again, heavy pouring rain came while we were at the end of the pier.

Time to go back in. :(
Unfortunately the weather doesn't care that we are on vacation.:(

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Our family vacations were always jam packed with something and consisted of me, mom, my grandparents, my uncle and aunt, and their granddaughter. We could never agree on the same things so we often had breakfast together then me, mom, aunt, and cousin would go out in one group and my grandparents and uncle would go do their own thing. Then meet up for dinner and do things together in the evening. I don't even think I got an afternoon nap LOL. The only concession they gave me, and it was for the sake of a relaxing family vacation, was that we would stay at a place with a pool. Didn't matter if it had a slide or was inside or out...I had to have a swimming pool (it was also simpler times:D). If I behaved during the day then I was allowed to go swimming at night before bed. Good enough for me. Ha! But because I was so used to all the vacations being "go, go, go" that's what I like to do now. I drive my husband crazy because I just can't sit and relax any place. I literally have to be moving all the time lol. Luckily, I don't have kids because I would be totally outnumbered with them against me and my overplanned spreadsheets :)
My vacations growing up were like that too. We never really had a "relaxing" vacation. My parents always wanted to see new places. We would be gone for 2 to 3 weeks and rarely spend more then 2 nights in one place. Maybe that is why I like Disney so much. I can actually umpack, but it is still go, Go GO!!!:)

21stamps

Original Poster
Unfortunately the weather doesn't care that we are om vacation.:(
I know :(. This is why I'm having such a hard time with June. What if it happens again??? At least Disney can be enjoyed in the rain.

I'm used to afternoon downpours in the summer..especially September... but that trip was actually constant rain and storms. The rain followed us from Orlando. :(

MySmallWorldof4

I know :(. This is why I'm having such a hard time with June. What if it happens again??? At least Disney can be enjoyed in the rain.

I'm used to afternoon downpours in the summer..especially September... but that trip was actually constant rain and storms. The rain followed us from Orlando. :(
Isn't June like the rainy season?

21stamps

Original Poster
Isn't June like the rainy season?
All summer til late November actually, technically, but it doesn't always rain.

I like South Florida, and especially the Keys, in the summer because there are not many tourists...plus, hotels (June-Sept) are almost half the price of winter rates. I can deal with midday rains.. it's the storms that cancel ocean activities that I worry about. The lower price isn't even worth it at that point. Especially this year, we would be there over July 4th.. so "holiday rates"

dmatt87

We finished our appetizers- conch, jumbo coconut shrimp, and hearts of palm, Main course- lobster for both of us, Dessert- we were stuffed so we shared a slice of Key Lime Pie. I had 2 Martini's and 2 waters as well.

Then we go to my much anticipated--

Mallory Square Sunset Celebration!!

But wait!

Where are all of the entertainers???

Where are the fire people, the tight ropes, Silverman?? Where is everyone??? This is NOT a Sunset Celebration!!!!

They weren't there :(

Deep Breath, Kimberly, Deep Breath. It's ok.
Everything is OK.
I'm holding back tears as I tell T to come sit on the wall with me.

"Umm, Mommy, didn't you say this was a party?"

"It is T. It's our party!"

"You're weird, mommy."

I know son, I know.

Let's sit and pretend that the sunset is beautiful.

I Ohhh and Aww. When really all I wanted to do was cry. The sunset was not as beautiful as I know it should be . :(
View attachment 197922

And now comes rain again...
View attachment 197923

Short lived luckily.

We sit back down and stare at the horizon.
I hate these clouds!!!! I'm whining, I know.. but omg I was so sad.
View attachment 197924

Really broke my heart to see all the obstacles you had on this part of the trip. Some things didn't go to plan at Disney but it's ok because it's still Disney. But for the KW part, all was dependant on weather...

I'm such a planner and I would've felt as terrible as you, if not worst. And has a parent we try to stay strong and positive but god, you were challenged!

LeighM

My vacations growing up were like that too. We never really had a "relaxing" vacation. My parents always wanted to see new places. We would be gone for 2 to 3 weeks and rarely spend more then 2 nights in one place. Maybe that is why I like Disney so much. I can actually umpack, but it is still go, Go GO!!!:)

Exactly!! My family loved to explore new places. Even when we kept going back to the same towns, we always found something new to do! And at WDW we're not dependent on transportation so if he wants to stay at the resort then he can do that and I can go to the parks and he can meet me there later. It's an option he never takes but one he still has LOL. I've been out of town with his family twice and it was enough to realize we do NOT have the same vacation styles. Once they get to the hotel, they are content to hang out in the lobby all day talking to each other - for days. Ummmmm no, not for me. The last time, I forced my husband to leave with me and go to a local historical site. I could not take another hour in that hotel. When others realized we were escaping, then a lot jumped on that leaving train :) If they ever have a family reunion I'm going to fight for having it at WDW. It's something for everyone and they can come and go as they please. The only problem is that I'm used to large groups breaking up during the day and only having meals and evenings together and they like to stay together the entire time....but I would have plenty of chances to escape at WDW lol.

LeighM

I'm so sorry that you had such bad luck with the weather. My grandparents would often go to the beach in the fall when the kids went back to school. It didn't matter where they went - VA Beach, Nags Head, New Orleans....there would always be either a hurricane or severe thunderstorms that would make them have to leave early. And I mean every.single.time!!! When my grandma died and granddaddy started seeing another lady, he took her on vacations to Nags Head - beaches close by. And the same thing would happen! We just figured he was the bad luck LOL. One thing is for sure - you'll never forget those miserable moments and they do make quite a story later!!! We had some horrible moments but years later (when the misery subsided and pain forgotten) we could all have a good laugh about it :)

Sabriel

Writing the report is making me really question if I want to go in July. My kid turns into such a complainer in the heat. And I am NOT getting a stroller for him. But, maybe if we actually relax a bit (the app with FP ability helps), and see a show or two in between running around, then it may be doable.

Dropping in to say I really enjoy your report and your honesty!

July can be done, but you have to work with your kid and the weather and go in knowing full well that your plans may change or not work out at all.

My family went for Fourth of July last year and it was so hot, even the pool water was warm (felt like sitting in a bath sometimes :hungover:) . Plus it being Florida, there was usually some rain in the afternoon, and everything wound up very humid afterwards. We decided not to go to the parks, spent our days waking up late, then by the pool or at the water parks, and headed out to dinner at other resorts or Disney Springs once the sun had set.

If you do want to go to the parks, maybe go in the early morning, then take a swim break around lunch time, and head back in the late afternoon? We've done this as well, and the trick is to go to parks with evening EMHs so you can get to as many rides as possible.

21stamps

Original Poster
Really broke my heart to see all the obstacles you had on this part of the trip. Some things didn't go to plan at Disney but it's ok because it's still Disney. But for the KW part, all was dependant on weather...

I'm such a planner and I would've felt as terrible as you, if not worst. And has a parent we try to stay strong and positive but god, you were challenged!

Thank you. My kid may have had a couple of external meltdowns, but I had several internal ones!!!

I thought this would help make me lean to the Keys in July, but I think it's doing the opposite.lol.

I'm so sorry that you had such bad luck with the weather. My grandparents would often go to the beach in the fall when the kids went back to school. It didn't matter where they went - VA Beach, Nags Head, New Orleans....there would always be either a hurricane or severe thunderstorms that would make them have to leave early. And I mean every.single.time!!! When my grandma died and granddaddy started seeing another lady, he took her on vacations to Nags Head - beaches close by. And the same thing would happen! We just figured he was the bad luck LOL. One thing is for sure - you'll never forget those miserable moments and they do make quite a story later!!! We had some horrible moments but years later (when the misery subsided and pain forgotten) we could all have a good laugh about it :)
Oh no!!!! Funny how the past can make bad situations turn out to be enjoyable ones :)

Dropping in to say I really enjoy your report and your honesty!

July can be done, but you have to work with your kid and the weather and go in knowing full well that your plans may change or not work out at all.

My family went for Fourth of July last year and it was so hot, even the pool water was warm (felt like sitting in a bath sometimes :hungover:) . Plus it being Florida, there was usually some rain in the afternoon, and everything wound up very humid afterwards. We decided not to go to the parks, spent our days waking up late, then by the pool or at the water parks, and headed out to dinner at other resorts or Disney Springs once the sun had set.

If you do want to go to the parks, maybe go in the early morning, then take a swim break around lunch time, and head back in the late afternoon? We've done this as well, and the trick is to go to parks with evening EMHs so you can get to as many rides as possible.

Thank you! Great advice! I probably should check park and EMH hours for those dates.lol

21stamps

Original Poster
Today's Plans-
Breakfast at a donut shop.
Get on the water- kayak, jet ski.
Swim at our hotel.
Sunset champagne cruise.

Let's start from the top- the Donut shop.

There's a place in Key West called "Glazed Donuts". It's incredible, I've never had a donut like these anywhere else. Everything is made from scratch, the coffee is insanely delicious, just wonderful.

If you're thinking that I'm strange for going on about donuts... I challenge you to try one, your life will never be the same. ;)

I've told T about this shop and he's been excited to go there. We haven't been on Duval the past few mornings due to the rain, but today was the day!!

We were a little bummed by this-

IMG_2094.JPG

But the rain was light, so we were willing to walk around in it.

We arrive to Glazed Donuts...

IMG_2098.JPG

WHAT???????
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
No. Just No!!!!

T goes from excited to tears. Literally started crying. I think it was just a combination of all of the disappointments. But there we were, standing on Eaton St, in the rain, my kid crying, and me just staring with a blank look on my face.

I pull it together and tell him we will go someplace even better. No, he's still crying.
Come on, T.. he says "I just want to go home!"

What? Home? Why? This is THE BEST vacation ever!!!

"No it isn't. You told me we were going to get donuts. We can't even get donuts! We can't even do anything that you say!"

Luckily, the majority of people on the island are still probably nursing hangovers, so our audience was small.
But I was humiliated, sad, frustrated.

"T, it's just a donut, let's go. I'm going to take you to my favorite place..there's donuts there too. They're the best!"

"No. I want these donuts! You told me they were the best!"

Once again, I don't even recognize myself or my son. This is NOT us! What have I done to us???

I grab his hand and take him walking with me, in the rain, while he's crying.
He finally stops crying.

We get to Croissants de France, and he cheers up.

We don't need you Glazed Donuts, enjoy your vacay.. we are eating delicious fresh baked from scratch French pastries and French pressed coffee. ;)

Anyway, this is place is amazing, and a staple for me..luckily T agreed after walking in.

IMG_2104.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom