Question about 3D rides and shows

Frogglet

Original Poster
My daughter (7) has microtia, basically she does not have a complete right ear and has a lot of trouble wearing glasses. Do the glasses at the 3D attractions depend on your ears to keep them on or do the grip the head at all? I am thinking about getting a strap to put on them would this be permitted or an even possible?
I was just hoping that maybe someone has some experience they could share.
Thanks in advance.

mousehockey37

Yes. MuppetVision and Philharmagic both require glasses and they go over your ears. I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be able to put a strap on them quick before the show starts and then take it off once the show is done. You could always talk to a CM, but I don't see an issue, especially since it's for her being able to watch the show.

Frogglet

Original Poster
Anyways it depends on the attraction. I always feel like the yellow ones at Toy Story Mania and Mickey's Philharmagic are really tight.
Yes. MuppetVision and Philharmagic both require glasses and they go over your ears. I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be able to put a strap on them quick before the show starts and then take it off once the show is done. You could always talk to a CM, but I don't see an issue, especially since it's for her being able to watch the show
Thanks I think will put a strap in my pocket just in case if it doesn't work we will just find other rides to have fun on. That is the nice thing about Disney there are always alternatives.

mousehockey37

Thanks I think will put a strap in my pocket just in case if it doesn't work we will just find other rides to have fun on. That is the nice thing about Disney there are always alternatives.

If you're set on doing those rides, like I said, if the strap doesn't work, talk with a CM. I'm sure they'll help you rig up something to enjoy those attractions. It's one of the best places in the world for things like this. They'll go out of their way to make sure you have a great time... and making sure you get to see and experience all the attractions!

Goofyernmost

To be honest, I don't think any of them are totally dependent to touching the ears except maybe for alignment. They have curved in frames that kind of act like a spring to hold them on your head. I don't think any curve downward to go around your ears. At least not that I remember anyway.

righttrack

^^^
Right, they are spring-like and don't really curl downward to go around the ear, still, the ear being there holds them from falling down further. You can hold them ok, except maybe for Star Tours where she may want to hold onto the armrest because of movement. I think the little strap idea is probably best and plan for that. You have the glasses in hand a long time before the ride or show starts so you can prep it as you pass the time.

thomas998

My daughter (7) has microtia, basically she does not have a complete right ear and has a lot of trouble wearing glasses. Do the glasses at the 3D attractions depend on your ears to keep them on or do the grip the head at all? I am thinking about getting a strap to put on them would this be permitted or an even possible?
I was just hoping that maybe someone has some experience they could share.
Thanks in advance.
While you could put a strap on them, I think a faster easier solution would be to have your daughter wear a head band like you would use to hold your hair back and then just slide the ear pieces of the glasses under the hair band. Would probably work as well as putting on a strap as I'm not even sure a strap would work well on them. I've used a glasses strap when I've gone snow skiing and as I recall the neopreme straps for glasses depend in part on the bend on the glasses frame to make them stay on... I don't think the 3d glasses have that same bend so the strap might just slide right off to easily to give any real support to keeping them on her head.

The Empress Lilly

s-l225.jpg

Bug, Muppets, Star Tours, Toy Story.

Frogglet

Original Poster
To be honest, I don't think any of them are totally dependent to touching the ears except maybe for alignment. They have curved in frames that kind of act like a spring to hold them on your head. I don't think any curve downward to go around your ears. At least not that I remember anyway.

Thanks so much I was hoping for that!

Right, they are spring-like and don't really curl downward to go around the ear, still, the ear being there holds them from falling down further. You can hold them ok, except maybe for Star Tours where she may want to hold onto the armrest because of movement. I think the little strap idea is probably best and plan for that. You have the glasses in hand a long time before the ride or show starts so you can prep it as you pass the time.

I think a faster easier solution would be to have your daughter wear a head band like you would use to hold your hair back and then just slide the ear pieces of the glasses under the hair band.

I think I will still bring a strap and I love the headband idea too. both are easy to carry and if they work great and if they don't we don't really lose by trying.

s-l225.jpg

Bug, Muppets, Star Tours, Toy Story.
Thanks those look like they more wrap the head than depend on the ear to keep them on!

I also watched a couple you tubes of the Toy Story ride and it looked like on several people the glasses didn't even touch their ears.

KBLovedDisney

We somehow had acquired free 3D souvenir glasses from the Honey I Shrunk the Audience show years ago. I miss that show.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

You listed 4, but you have five in the picture. Is one of them Philharmagic by any chance?
Could be. Or an Imagination film. The glasses are not mine. But the Google is strong in this one so I found a fairly comprehensive picture of WDW's 3d glasses for the OP and daughter to prepare themselves with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom