Gift Cards

MickeyMomV

Easier than???

We pay for our trip in gift cards. While we are at WDW our DS gets a GC for all of his extras. Once he spends his card he is done spending. We may take a small amount on a card otherwise we handle cash and debit card, no credit cards. Debit card is used as a room card but we never charge to the room. Not sure if this is what you were asking?

Yenfid

Original Poster
Yes. Was trying to figure out if having gift cards was the way to go instead of using travelers cheques or credit cards or having lots of cash on you.

bjlc57

there is a very good article on the internet about using disney gift cards and how to protect your self.. We paid for our whole trip using Sam's club disney gift cards and saved enough to pay for my wife's scooter and something else for the 10 days we were at WDW..

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've used them for convenience at WDW, as it sames me from carrying extra cash around. Mostly, I use them for QS dining in the parks. The feature I like is that every time you buy something, your register receipt will list how much money is left on your card balance.

Disneyfamily4

My wife is a fanatic when it comes to buying Disney Gift Cards. There are a lot of options you can save money on buying them as well. Through BJ's, throughout the year, she will buy 30 $100.00 gift cards for Disney online (don't need to be a member to do so) for $95.00 each. So $3000.00 in GCs will only cost you $2850.00

If you want to save extra money like we do, first apply for a discover card. We have one that we use only for this purpose. If you purchase the Disney Gift cards at BJ's, with the discover card, on the card, you will earn 5% cash back, by purchasing things through a wholesale store. So that will save an extra $142.50.

If your a member of ebates, or several other money saving clubs like that, you can do all of the above through ebates and then get another $80.00 bucks through them. The moment our trip ends, my wife will start buying these for our trip the upcoming year. Overall, $3000 in Disney gift cards, will only cost us about $2628.00.

By doing this monthly, you wont miss the money spent and by the time the trip rolls around, its nearly all paid for.

Also, don't ever pay for the dining plan. you pretty much save nothing. If you calculate how much extra the dining plan will be and instead, just spend all that money on gift cards as mentioned above, and use those gift cards for eating, you will save so much more.

Disneyfamily4

Also, for people who don't have a Disney Visa yet, apply for one. Disney Visa is giving out $200.00 in credit, if you spend $500.00 in the first couple months. You can buy 6 $100.00 gift cards at BJ's for $570.00. Disney will then subtract $200.00 from the bill. $600 in Gift Cards will then only cost you $370.00.

Your spouse could also apply for a card (as long as you do not list them as an extra card holder on the first card) and you can do the same thing with that card. $1200.00 in gift cards for $740.00

Herdman

What we usually do is stash extra cash away in preparation of our trip. Then we deposit the cash in our checking account and use our debit card for purchases. It has the same effect as gift cards in not having to carry a lot of cash on you, and if by chance you don't use all the money on your gift cards you have the cash for other purposes.

anchorman314

I prefer gift cards for a few reasons. Mostly, I don't like carrying that much cash around. And as far as gift cards vs. credit cards, using gift cards means my credit card bill is much shorter -- one or two lines showing gift card purchases vs. a few dozen lines showing every F&G kiosk that I stop at. ;)

One side note: if you plan on using a credit card, it's advisable to let your cc company know ahead of time. I've never had a problem using my cards on-property, but I was declined at Publix just off-property because my cc company thought it was a fraudulent purchase. Many (all?) major cc companies have Travel Notifications that can be set up to allow use in areas outside of your normal use area.

Disneyfamily4

Gift Cards are only good for people who know exactly how much they are going to spend. For people staying at a resort, and know their resort stay with tickets will cost $4000.00, buy the 40 $100.00 gift cards from BJ's, also using the Discover Credit card and your only paying $3600.

For people staying off site, trying to guess how much they will spend each day, may over calculate, then be stuck with a lot of gift cards, when having money would be better of course. But if you know what your expense is going to be, it's a no brainer to buy the cards. We use to also pay for dining. Then when we calculated the charge per day for our family of 4 and calculated the cost of just putting that extra money on gift cards to eat, we realized it was definitely not worth paying for dining through Disney anymore. Saving $5.00 bucks, per every $100.00 you spend doesn't sound like a lot, but when you multiply it by the thousands families spend, its worth it.

JIMINYCR

I have friends and relatives gift me with gift cards for birthdays, Christmas, etc.. They know I'll appreciate getting them more than some other gift I would return because of the wrong size or other reason. I collect them in my Disney trip envelope and put a sticker on them with the various dollar amounts. Then as purchases are made in the parks I keep a running total of what balance is left so I know whats available. It helps to keep the budget in line because I know when when the cards are gone I'm at my limit of spending and I'm less likely to use the credit cards.

tractor tipper

Also, for people who don't have a Disney Visa yet, apply for one. Disney Visa is giving out $200.00 in credit, if you spend $500.00 in the first couple months. You can buy 6 $100.00 gift cards at BJ's for $570.00. Disney will then subtract $200.00 from the bill. $600 in Gift Cards will then only cost you $370.00.

Your spouse could also apply for a card (as long as you do not list them as an extra card holder on the first card) and you can do the same thing with that card. $1200.00 in gift cards for $740.00
With Disney VISA you also get 10% off in park or Disney store purchases including dining. May have a minimum purchase amount at some places. Read fine print.

Disneyfamily4

With Disney VISA you also get 10% off in park or Disney store purchases including dining. May have a minimum purchase amount at some places. Read fine print.

They say the card has Disney store discounts, but it is on select items throughout the park. Usually, the select items are things you wouldn't normally want anyway. I tried to buy shoes and a hoodie for my daughter, during a colder day in the park a while ago and of course we picked something that wasn't available for discount. We just use the Disney Card for the free private pictures with the Disney and Star Wars Characters, without having to wait in those lines.

NeedMoreMickey

I use gift cards for QS and souvenirs. For me it is easier to keep the gift card handy than getting out cash. Also easier for me to track how much I spend and helps me stick to my budget. I usually go with my sister and she always pays for dinner with credit card for her 3 people. She runs a tab for me and I'll pay her back by charging a meal for all of us.

Disnee4Me

Yes. Was trying to figure out if having gift cards was the way to go instead of using travelers cheques or credit cards or having lots of cash on you.
I purchased gift cards through Target with the Target Red Card - pay $95 for every $100. Then I cashed out the $$$ I earned on my Discover card when the Target bill came in, so free gift cards. And because I also have (and sometimes use the Disney Visa), I had some Disney $$$ too. So on my last day on the trip, I would go down to the front desk and use my gift cards to pay off my charges on the Disney Visa.

disneygeek90

I ask for Disney giftcards for Christmas/Birthday (2 days apart) when relatives ask me what I want. I save them up, and put it towards my AP. I just renewed last week and only spent about $200 from out of pocket. I think the year before was even less. I love that they allow you to use them for tickets/passes.

If I’m doing a full day at Epcot with lots of drinks, I’ll usually just buy a $100 giftcard and not worry about 8 $10 charges on my credit card. I don’t think it really saves any time or money, but it is convenient to the gift card.

Dave B

I was wondering if you get just ONE gift card or a bunch of $50 ones. I went to Target and they only had $50 cards, seems like a pain to keep 8-10 cards on me @ $50 per card

lilclerk

I was wondering if you get just ONE gift card or a bunch of $50 ones. I went to Target and they only had $50 cards, seems like a pain to keep 8-10 cards on me @ $50 per card
You can combine them all onto one card (up to $1000 per card) at disneygiftcard.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom