Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

tribbleorlfl

How long is the Wii U supposed to last? I just got one for my kids less than a year ago and am not eager to buy another console. For the foreseeable future, will all games be available on both Wii U and Switch?

Sped2424

Original Poster
How long is the Wii U supposed to last? I just got one for my kids less than a year ago and am not eager to buy another console. For the foreseeable future, will all games be available on both Wii U and Switch?
No friend :( the wii u's last game is Zelda breath of the wild. Consider that console officially retired from the company. The switch is also not backwards compatible.

JT3000

No friend :( the wii u's last game is Zelda breath of the wild. Consider that console officially retired from the company. The switch is also not backwards compatible.

Only lasted just over 4 years. Pretty bad. Of course, it doesn't help that it was released an entire generation too late. The Switch isn't much better in that regard.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Only lasted just over 4 years. Pretty bad. Of course, it doesn't help that it was released an entire generation too late. The Switch isn't much better in that regard.
Graphically no, but in terms of the idea the switch is indeed doing something right that the wii u never did.

Mike S

It's already been discontinued, sorry...
The PSVita was the most powerful portable dedicated to gaming in 2012. Switch vastly surpasses it in 2017. Yes it's also capable of being played on the TV as a home console but in everyone's jump to go "lol Nintendo's being so stupid with a weak-sauce console a generation behind lol" they're forgetting the Switch is also a portable and that must be taken into account. A good point to make here would be that no portable in existence was ever hugely successful because it had all the AAA third party games. Another advantage for the Switch.

Well, that and Pokémon.

JT3000

It's already been discontinued, sorry...

The Vita was the most powerful portable dedicated to gaming in 2012. Switch vastly surpasses it in 2017. Yes it's also capable of being played on the TV but in everyone's jump to go "lol Nintendo's being so stupid with a weak-sauce consoles a generation behind lol" they're forgetting the Switch is also a portable and that must be taken into account.

Yes, it's portable, but you can't ignore that it's also their new home console. As such, it will have to compete with the other home consoles, not just the Vita. Portable gaming is dominated by phones anyway. You can play more complex games on a Switch, but I'm not convinced that will make it appealing to people who are okay just doing that at home, on better hardware, where they don't have to worry about short battery life. Being a "tweener" isn't necessarily a good thing. I think it's a large hurdle the system will have to overcome.

Mike S

Yes, it's portable, but you can't ignore that it's also their new home console. As such, it will have to compete with the other home consoles, not just the Vita. Portable gaming is dominated by phones anyway. You can play more complex games on a Switch, but I'm not convinced that will make it appealing to people who are okay just doing that at home, on better hardware, where they don't have to worry about short battery life. Being a "tweener" isn't necessarily a good thing. I think it's a large hurdle the system will have to overcome.
It's both. It will have the advantage of all of Nintendo's development and the third parties that will be moving on from 3DS and Vita.

My point about the Vita was that it's clearly in the same generation as PS4, XBO, Wii U, etc. The Switch is a clear generational leap over it and and is actually more powerful than the Wii U as well. It is the first Gen 9 device no matter how many people try to deny it.

Does it really matter if the Switch doesn't really compete with smart phones sales in a meaningful way? Isn't being able to make a profit (which will be done on every unit sold from day 1 unlike the Wii U) the main goal here? Plus we've already seen Nintendo's strategy of using mobile games to promote their IP work wonders. Just look at how Pokémon games and the 3DS started selling after Pokémon GO.

JT3000

It's both. It will have the advantage of all of Nintendo's development and the third parties that will be moving on from 3DS and Vita.

If it is both, then it needs more than just 3rd party support from developers of portable games to be a success; it also needs 3rd party support from home console game developers, which, for Nintendo, is like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.

My point about the Vita was that it's clearly in the same generation as PS4, XBO, Wii U, etc. The Switch is a clear generational leap over it and and is actually more powerful than the Wii U as well. It is the first Gen 9 device no matter how many people try to deny it.

The Vita is not in the same "generation" as the consoles you named, because the console "generations" only apply to home consoles, not portables. The Switch will qualify as a home console, but if Nintendo ran a marketing campaign labeling the Switch as the first "next (9th) gen" console, they would become the laughing stock of the gaming community. Even the Scorpio won't be considered "next gen," and it's going to make the Switch look like a toaster oven.

Does it really matter if the Switch doesn't really compete with smart phones sales in a meaningful way? Isn't being able to make a profit (which will be done on every unit sold from day 1 unlike the Wii U) the main goal here? Plus we've already seen Nintendo's strategy of using mobile games to promote their IP work wonders. Just look at how Pokémon games and the 3DS started selling after Pokémon GO.

It's not the hardware sales they have to compete with (and they obviously couldn't anyway). With Nintendo being so reliant on their own software, they need people playing it. The mobile gaming industry is increasingly large and extremely crowded as is, and it's also dominated by a device whose convenience and overall functionality a portable gaming console simply can't compete with. Not to mention much of the software is technically free. How is Nintendo going to compete with that?

Last edited:

Mike S

If it is both, then it needs more than just 3rd party support from developers of portable games to be a success; it also needs 3rd party support from home console game developers, which, for Nintendo, is like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert.
Those portable games will now also be upgraded to a home console type quality which is something else to consider. Imagine how a series like Monster Hunter (or Pokémon) could benefit from that. I also have no doubt that Japanese devs could port some of their bigger games to the system due to its pretty much guaranteed success over there. It's already kind of happening.
Finally, Capcom is looking into having the RE Engine, made specifically for Resident Evil 7 (and likely to be used in future titles) to be compatible with Switch. The company also wants to develop AAA titles for the platform.
http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...kit-capcom-wants-to-make-aaa-games-much-more/
The Vita is not in the same "generation" as the consoles you named, because the console "generations" only apply to home consoles, not portables. The Switch will qualify as a home console, but if Nintendo ran a marketing campaign labeling the Switch as the first "next (9th) gen" console, they would become the laughing stock of the gaming community. Even the Scorpio won't be considered "next gen," and it's going to make the Switch look like a toaster oven.
Switch will start Gen 9 just like the 3DS started Gen 8, like it or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles
It's not the hardware sales they have to compete with (and they obviously couldn't anyway). With Nintendo being so reliant on their own software, they need people playing it. The mobile gaming industry is increasingly large and extremely crowded as is, and it's also dominated by a device whose convenience and overall functionality a portable gaming console simply can't compete with. Not to mention much of the software is technically free. How is Nintendo going to compete with that?
There's plenty of interest in a portable device dedicated to gaming otherwise the 3DS wouldn't have sold around 65 million up to this point. Even if the Switch only sells about 50 million I'd still consider it a success if it's a very profitable venture for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Jimmy Thick

Not to beat a dead horse but Botw is getting universal acclaim unlike any other game in recent memory. Something like 30 out of 50 reviews have been perfect scores which is insane.

That being said the Switch is getting mediocre reviews with the left joycon and terrible,( other than Zelda), launch titles being the rue of the bad criticism.

Either way, starting tomorrow I'm playing what could be the greatest game of all time and intend to savor every second, no more talking about game reviews from me I promise.

Have fun everyone!

JT3000

Those portable games will now also be upgraded to a home console type quality which is something else to consider. Imagine how a series like Monster Hunter (or Pokémon) could benefit from that. I also have no doubt that Japanese devs could port some of their bigger games to the system due to its pretty much guaranteed success over there. It's already kind of happening.

Many developers of portable games have no experience creating console games. They won't all be able to make that transition, which requires a pretty huge leap in resources.

Switch will start Gen 9 just like the 3DS started Gen 8, like it or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

What am I supposed to get out of this Wikipedia article? That they included handhelds? They're not comparable. If you look at their other articles, they don't even have 8 generations worth of handhelds.

Or is it that the Switch isn't listed here? It's not listed on a Gen 9 article either, because there isn't one. No reputable source is going to call this thing "next gen."

There's plenty of interest in a portable device dedicated to gaming otherwise the 3DS wouldn't have sold around 65 million up to this point. Even if the Switch only sells about 50 million I'd still consider it a success if it's a very profitable venture for Nintendo.

There is interest in handhelds, but it has waned considerably in recent years. It's not a trend that's likely to reverse.

Last edited:

Mike S

Not to beat a dead horse but Botw is getting universal acclaim unlike any other game in recent memory. Something like 30 out of 50 reviews have been perfect scores which is insane.

That being said the Switch is getting mediocre reviews with the left joycon and terrible,( other than Zelda), launch titles being the rue of the bad criticism.

Either way, starting tomorrow I'm playing what could be the greatest game of all time and intend to savor every second, no more talking about game reviews from me I promise.

Have fun everyone!
At least that's fixable just like the sync issues that PS4 controllers had at launch.
Many developers of portable games have no experience creating console games. They won't all be able to make that transition, which requires a pretty huge leap in resources.

What am I supposed to get out of this Wikipedia article? That they included handhelds? They're not comparable. If you look at their other articles, they don't even have 8 generations worth of handhelds.

Or is it that the Switch isn't listed here? It's not listed on a Gen 9 article either, because there isn't one. No reputable source is going to call this thing "next gen."

There is interest in handhelds, but it has waned considerably in recent years. It's not a trend that's likely to reverse.
6nsOqZK.gif

Mike S

I rest my case.
Nah.

I just got tired of you picking apart every tiny little thing and completely missing my points.

Haters gonna hate.
The Nintendo Switch is going to be a horrendous bomb!
It is first and foremost a home console and true heir to Wii U.
Its technology is also based on a mobile graphics card. Based on reviews it DOESN'T necessarily provide a true graphics upgrade over the WII U. Regarding being a portable on the go system. The battery only provides upto 2 hrs of on the go gaming. That is at best. Also a bit large to be considered a true portable system. This system should be called Wii U 2.0.
Third party companies are RUNNING away from this console!!! That is a fact. It is far too underpowered too develop fmost AAA titles being developed for PS and Xbox. Nintendo always boasts of third party support and it never comes through. This is historically and currently true. EA isn't even truly supporting it yet.

On the plus side Zelda is getting sick reviews. With that being said the system is barely equipped to run this game as some of the negatives are occasional frame rate drop and objects in the distance populate only as your character gets close.

Lastly, Nintendo as of now does not have a lot of first party games planned. However, there are a few ports from wii u coming over. Normally, all though quality, Nintendo does not pump out a lot of 1st party games.

Sorry, but Nintendo has not made a quality console in decades! The Wii at best was a fad but not a quality console.

I do hope I'm wrong as I was raised on Nintendo and would like to see this company thrive once again.
It's a successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. The fact it can run Unreal Engine 4 alone confirms that it's stronger than the Wii U. Not to mention the 4 GB of ram it has compared to the Wii U's 2 GB with about 3.25 GB available for games vs. the Wii U's 1 GB. The PS4 and XBO have 8 GB with about 4-5 GB available for games as a comparison.

That battery life you mentioned is when playing a demanding game like Zelda which has a huge open world at max settings like brightness, having Wi-Fi on, etc. The battery can last up to six hours and when you really look into it you see that the 3DS's battery isn't that different.

Only two Wii U ports are coming from Nintendo and they are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Zelda. If you don't already own a Wii U I just can't take the "port" complaint that seriously. To you it might as well be a brand new game which Zelda technically is and Mario Kart has all the DLC content included plus some other new stuff not in the Wii U version. Oh, and remember all those 7th gen ports the PS4 and XBO got early on? Remember how some are still being made? Yeah, me too :)

Nintendo has already announced a couple of big game releases spread throughout the rest of the year and there could always be a few more at E3. Just think of all the games that Nintendo released on the Wii U and 3DS. Now combine the two libraries as if they were all on one system. I'll tell you one thing more: they'll certainly be making more games than Microsoft :hilarious:

On third parties I'll bring up the same point I did in a previous post: Nintendo portables have never needed big AAA third party games to be successful. They do it mostly on Nintendo IP, especially Pokémon. The Switch will be getting some though but it'll most likely be from Japanese devs. Also the non AAA devs that developed for the 3DS and Vita. They got nowhere else to go as it seems like Switch will have a monopoly on the dedicated gaming portable market. Plus it works on your TV!!!

If a few drops in frame rate and pop in are the absolute worst things people can bring up about Zelda then it really is an amazing game now isn't it? Also, does this make the almighty PS4 and XBO "barely equipped" to run certain games that have the same issues? Didn't think so. It's only a huge problem when it's Nintendo, I get it ;)

Last edited:

snek

Haha these people trying to convince others the switch is gonna suck and I'm over here cursing target for not having better shipping and having to wait till Monday to get mine. Console wars amuse me. I'm device agnostic so I got nothing to lose. :)

Mike S

Mike, thanks for the good old fashion spirited debate.
Nintendo would be proud to see more of this passion in its fan base. Especially the blind brand of passion you are Displaying
Blind passion? What I said was mostly fact based with some opinion thrown in.
First of all, from the president of Nintendo's mouth to your ears. The Switch is the successor to the Wii U only at this time, not the 3DS. It is first and foremost a home console device. Not my opinion, but actually stated by Nintendo.
Nintendo says a lot of things. Like when the DS was supposed to be a "third pillar" alongside the GBA and GameCube. Or when "NX" (Switch) wasn't replacing Wii U.
https://nintendowire.com/news/2016/06/08/nintendos-third-pillars-ds-nx-comparison/amp/
The 3DS currently enjoys a user base of 60 mil. worldwide. and sales of the unit have not plummeted. As per the president of Nintendo, the 3ds, 2ds, and Switch will live simultaneous in two separate worlds for the next three- four years.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...-pledge-support-3ds-new-games-least-2018/amp/
Third party companies will NOT ditch or produce games for both platforms till the switch can prove that it will have a healthy user base!
Atlus has already announced that the next Shin Megami Tensei game will be exclusive to Switch and the developers of Bravely Default are also making their next game exclusive to Switch. Both used to develop for 3DS.
All of your arguments about third party support are based on them making games for the switch as a portable device. Let's say that is true. You are already giving up on AAA support from these companies as a home console device. You see how this is a horrible place to start a console life.
If it gets similar support that other recent portables have then no it's not a horrible place.
You are also on crack if you think this will have the quantity or quality of games as the Xbox one because they receive ample third party support.
I didn't say that. I said Nintendo would make more games than Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't make or even get a lot of exclusive games anymore.
You talk about developers needing a platform to develop for? It's called the mobile phone. Nintendo has even seen that. So if you think the Switch will have support just because, you are once again smoking the Nintendo crack pipe.
Except we're already seeing games announced for it from developers with a bigger vision than just making a simple phone game.
The Wii U came out the same time as the ps4, and Xbox. Obviously it does not have the graphical capabilities as these units and neither does the Switch. From a graphics point of view, this is only a 1/2 gen jump over the Wii u. The graphical difference between the wii u and switch is marginal.
The Switch as a portable device cannot be on par with PS4 and XBO unless you want an even smaller battery life.
Also being able to run real engine IV is not a bragging point. How old is that engine now? Lol
The engine is as old as the PS4 and XBO. Are you crapping on those now in a desperate attempt to continue your "Nintendo sucks!" mantra? ;)
All reviews point to the battery as being one of the weaknesses of the unit.
The switch requires more energy than the 3DS, so to state that a similar battery will cut the mustard is more blind "fanboy ism on your part. Let's say you are able to get 6 hrs out of this thing what kind of crappy games will you be playing. Are you going to not play the games that matter on the road like Zelda because the battery will crap out on you. Once again you pointed out a weakness of this thing on day 1 of the switch. It was just released and already has significant limitations.
images

VWicbXa.jpg

I will probably get something like a car charger and a portable battery pack if I find I really need it. I would also do the same thing I did with my 3DS and only really play when I'll be in one spot for a while. I'll also bring the charger with me since there's outlets everywhere in major areas.
Reviews also state the problem with the Switch is that it does not do either home gaming or portable gaming rather well. This seems to be the universal concern with this unit as of now.
Yeah I've seen that a few times. I've also read the opposite. How about judging for yourself?
Also, frame rate issues and pop up issues for a first party game that has been worked on for eons by Nintendo for a game just for Nintendo is an issue. Although this game is beautiful. It is not by any means pushing the graphics boundaries and it has pop up and frame rate issues is also a concern. Nintendo made a mistake in 2017 by not putting more muscle under the hood.
All huge open world games have these problems to some extent and this is also Nintendo's biggest game to date. It's not going to be absolute perfection on those fronts.
Regarding the port complaint. It wasn't a complaint. Was just stating that these would be playable available games.
Ok then.
One last thing if you think Nintendo is going to give up the STRONG market branding of the DS, you are more naive than I thought. There are even rumors out there about a true successor to the 3DS platform. You just don't give up on a 60 mill. user base and if you consider all DS consoles sold its probably over 100 mil. Companies would die for loyalty like that. It would be like Sony saying we are not going to make Playstations any more and replace it with another name. Won't happen!
They got rid of the incredibly successful GameBoy line for DS so who's to say it can't happen again if the Switch is a success? Also the quote about a 3DS successor was a mistranslation.
http://nintendoeverything.com/clarification-on-3ds-successor-news/
The Switch has a lot to prove till it can be considered the true heir to any platform at this point. We will see in about a year where it takes us.

Till then, stop being so pompous because the arguments that you are making are not as strong or as good as you think. Not even close actually!
I could say the exact same to you. Now if you don't mind I'll be leaving this thread for a while to take care of some stuff and setup my Switch :)

Mike S

The DS was an improvement over the GameBoy.

The 3DS is a very nice small device. You can watch netflix on it, edit photos, sounds, game against people in the same room. The 3D part of the 3DS is actually useless, no one uses it. You probably do but 99% of the kids I talk to don't use it and that is the main 3DS customer. I doubt the 3Ds is going any where any time soon. How much more can you do with a small hand held device that small children play with? Certainly don't want it fully connected to the internet.
I actually barely play my 3DS anymore but I did love using the 3D. The last retail game I bought for it was Majora's Mask. It'll definitely be a slower phase out than the Wii U had but it's days are definitely numbered. I made a bet with someone on a Nintendo blog that the last major game release from Nintendo on the 3DS would be before March 2018. This doesn't include spin-offs, small scale projects, ports, or shared Switch games. Don't know or care to guess when exactly it'll be discontinued altogether but to be completely honest it kind of already feels like it is due to how little of them I see available in stores anymore but that is due to higher demand than expected during the holidays.

Oh and Switch does support up to 8 players on local wireless which is double what the 3DS can do.

Cesar R M

I actually laugh at those who complain about stuttering, fps problems on the switch.
Have they played the PS3 and PS4?
They still stutter and slowdown. For me, this is not an issue of consoles or even computers.. Designers and game makers are just more lazy in their optimization.
I've seen games that Do not have graphics on the levels of next gen.. yet stutter horrible thanks to awful implementation (one fine example is Deus Ex Mankind Divided)

Speaking of games.. Im not sure if I shared, but a few days ago.. Ubisoft and Cameron announced they would be making a "huge game" based on Avatar. I wonder if it would follow the "

Mike S

I actually laugh at those who complain about stuttering, fps problems on the switch.
Have they played the PS3 and PS4?
They still stutter and slowdown. For me, this is not an issue of consoles or even computers.. Designers and game makers are just more lazy in their optimization.
I've seen games that Do not have graphics on the levels of next gen.. yet stutter horrible thanks to awful implementation (one fine example is Deus Ex Mankind Divided)

Speaking of games.. Im not sure if I shared, but a few days ago.. Ubisoft and Cameron announced they would be making a "huge game" based on Avatar. I wonder if it would follow the "
From my time with Breath of the Wild I haven't noticed any kind of dramatic frame rate drop. Maybe there were a few small dips here and there but nothing that really caught my attention enough for me to notice and call it out. I was enjoying the game way too much, even taking it out of the house!!! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom