DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any photos of the extra dementors?
Of course :D

IMG_7416.PNG

garagely

I was actually thinking about those dementors when that happened! The "hidden" ones still have their hands attached. I hear they actually have that scene in the Hollywood version, but I've never seen it.

edit: I just realized someone already mentioned their hands and showed the photo. Sorry all! I'll read the whole thread next time before I reply!

This reminds me of the dementors on Harry Potter and the forbidden journey. When the ride breaks down and they turn the lights on, you'll see many extra dementors that aren't turned on during the ride and I don't know why, maybe it's a B mode thing like Dino.

Last edited:

garagely

Edit: I'll just say to the left/up. I just know that it isn't hard to miss if you're not looking at the big guy on the right. I was sitting on the far left of the ride vehicle as well.

so wait, is this just on the left right before you see photo carno on the right?

Last edited:

jaxonp

Edit: I'll just say to the left/up. I just know that it isn't hard to miss if you're not looking at the big guy on the right. I was sitting on the far left of the ride vehicle as well.

Ok then I did see it recently and it's super obvious. I asked a couple days ago after riding it recently if that was a new addition because I had never seen it before. I was actually creeped out that this dino was looking at me while his more athletic friend was roaring at us. He's a real creeper and super noticeable with the brighter lighting after the refurb.

180º

Weird because from what I've been reading the Hollywood equivalent is similar to what it was supposed to be here.
I've only been on the Hollywood FJ and it's funny you say this because all I could think while reading this discussion about the scarier scene was, "...isn't that how it is normally?"

In Hollywood, all the dementors have hands. After you go through the mouth of Salazar Slytherin, you are completely surrounded by a horde of dementors, many of them static (but with fans blowing their cloaks) and one or two moving, but all of them VERY close and completely filling the scene. It's a very cool effect when your enchanted bench starts pulling away, only to reveal more and more dementors surrounding you. It's overwhelming and something only the Kuka RV can afford.

In this video, go to 2:35 for the dementor scene and 3:00 for the horde of dementors.

On a different, on-topic note, can anyone explain where in relation to photo carnataurus the head on the stick is? I can't quite nail it down.

disneygeek90

Definitely saw more motion in the animatronics. It looked great except I don't like the net on the Iguanadon at the end.
I didn’t realize that was a net. I thought it was some sort of tracking “scanner” that was alerting us that that was indeed the dinosaur we are looking for. It seemed to make a little more sense for me, at least.
I thought he said "Forget it!"?
Yes, I believe that’s what he says as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I didn’t realize that was a net. I thought it was some sort of tracking “scanner” that was alerting us that that was indeed the dinosaur we are looking for. It seemed to make a little more sense for me, at least.

Yes, I believe that’s what he says as well.
Yep, it's a net as per the original story treatment.

That's now the Dino gets brought back with us to present day.

The originally planned peppers ghost in the exit tunnel would have explained it better. As it is now you've got to look at the security monitors.

disneygeek90

Did the finale carnotaurus get new paint or new lighting? He really seemed a lot brighter. Did he always have, uh, forelegs? Was there extra roaring audio added to that part too?
I believe he comes out "at you" quite a bit more now. I'm pretty sure it was just his head previously, now he has somewhat of a full body and shoots out much further at the car. Nice touch. For this being my favorite ride in WDW, I love the improvements made.

jaxonp

I've only been on the Hollywood FJ and it's funny you say this because all I could think while reading this discussion about the scarier scene was, "...isn't that how it is normally?"

In Hollywood, all the dementors have hands. After you go through the mouth of Salazar Slytherin, you are completely surrounded by a horde of dementors, many of them static (but with fans blowing their cloaks) and one or two moving, but all of them VERY close and completely filling the scene. It's a very cool effect when your enchanted bench starts pulling away, only to reveal more and more dementors surrounding you. It's overwhelming and something only the Kuka RV can afford.

In this video, go to 2:35 for the dementor scene and 3:00 for the horde of dementors.

On a different, on-topic note, can anyone explain where in relation to photo carnataurus the head on the stick is? I can't quite nail it down.

Good lord there are so many more dementors compared to Orlando. That scene where they just keep coming is instance. It's nothing like that in Orlando. Time to Plus it Orlando.

disneygeek90

Yep, it's a net as per the original story treatment.

That's now the Dino gets brought back with us to present day.

The originally planned peppers ghost in the exit tunnel would have explained it better. As it is now you've got to look at the security monitors.
I always just assumed he hopped in the back of the truck looking for a ride :p

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Good lord there are so many more dementors compared to Orlando. That scene where they just keep coming is instance. It's nothing like that in Orlando. Time to Plus it Orlando.

Sorry to keep off topic, but two quick questions... 1) does the Hollywood version have the "kiss of death"/"soul sucking effect, or was that excluded (I didn't see it in the video) and 2) does the Orlando version still utilize that effect, or is it just finicky? We rode the Orlando version a few weeks after it first opened and that effect was one of my favorite parts of the ride, but it was noticeably missing on my most recent trip (2015). If the effect has been turned off for some time, fixing this effect would go a LONG way in "plussing" this scene...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom