News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not trying to pick on this post, but I've noted similar sentiments. So, it is important to note:

1. The CBR would be serviced and it is the largest moderate
2. It would be almost certain that both AoA and Pop Century would be serviced. It would be easy to put a station at a location in between the two resorts where guests of either could use it. My guess would be in the "50's Parking lot" on the north side of the hotels. So that's two more large hotels (probably about half of the total Value resort guest capacity)
3. A DVC resort (maybe two, as I think WDW 1974 hinted somewhere) is going to be built on part of the land (though, it may take over or replace some of the CBR) so that's another resort being serviced.

I would think a transportation link that services 4 resorts and connects them to two different theme parks actually would be a huge boost for WDW's overall transportation need. That's a lot of buses that can be freed up for other purposes.

There's probably going to be somewhere like twice as many guests that this would potentially service than the Resort Line of the Monorail does. People commenting that this doesn't service many guest don't seem to be aware of how large CBR, AoA and Pop all are.
Forgot how close Pop Century is. That brings potential total rooms serviced up to almost 7,000 or a quarter of the hotel rooms on property. It's only going to 2 of 4 parks but would be potentially expandable.

doctornick

Forgot how close Pop Century is. That brings potential total rooms serviced up to almost 7,000 or a quarter of the hotel rooms on property. It's only going to 2 of 4 parks but would be potentially expandable.

I mean, I guess they could do two different stations if necessary, but I would think it would be extremely unlikely that they would service AoA but not Pop Century given the proximity of the two resorts.

21stamps

I think many of you are thinking to small on the gondolas. You could easily have 1,000 all riding at the same time with 50 passenger gondolas and that's not a huge size for a gondolas. 1,000 people with only be 20 gondolas spread out over the entire system. I'm think if needed you could move 1,000's of people an hour easily depending on how the system is configured. The real test would be at closing and opening of the parks.
I understand that gondolas can have high capacity, I just didn't understand why they would need it for one or two resorts.
Someone else said 4 resorts would be serviced, which makes a lot more sense.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I understand that gondolas can have high capacity, I just didn't understand why they would need it for one or two resorts.
Someone else said 4 resorts would be serviced, which makes a lot more sense.

Because they are large resorts. Which would also link them both to two different parks. It could alleviate a good chunk of the pressure on the buses in this area.

21stamps

Because they are large resorts. Which would also link them both to two different parks. It could alleviate a good chunk of the pressure on the buses in this area.
Admittedly, I haven't been on property at either one. Are the busses always full going to the parks?

doctornick

It's also worth noting....

The Epcot station will almost certainly be at the International Gateway (I know some have suggested why not run it to the front of the park, but it doesn't line up, plus that's adding extra distance/cost with little upside). That means it's not just transport to Epcot but also to the Boardwalk and the resorts in that area (and their restaurants, etc.). That means being able to start from AoA or Pop Century and go to a character meal at Cape May Cafe much more easily, or go dancing at Atlantic Dance Hall/Jellyrolls, etc.

It also helps with guest flow at Epcot by increasing usage at the (less used) International Gateway both for entry and exit by adding CBR/AoA/Pop guests to that gate and away from the main one. It's nice to spread out crowds especially at high volume times.

ElreTigo

The past three pages are half empty. Wonder why?
"I'd say they're half full."
Trivia-Dory_5.jpg

21stamps

Very busy.

The Epcot station will almost certainly be at the International Gateway (I know some have suggested why not run it to the front of the park, but it doesn't line up, plus that's adding extra distance/cost with little upside). That means it's not just transport to Epcot but also to the Boardwalk and the resorts in that area (and their restaurants, etc.). That means being able to start from AoA or Pop Century and go to a character meal at Cape May Cafe much more easily, or go dancing at Atlantic Dance Hall/Jellyrolls, etc.

It also helps with guest flow at Epcot but increasing usage at the (less used) International Gateway both for entry and exit but adding CBR/AoA/Pop guests to that gate and away from the main one. It's nice to spread out crowds especially at high volume times.
Thank you for explaining in this way.
Competing with Universal or trying to justify DVC wasn't sitting well with me. The reasons you've given are easier to rationalize.

JLipnick

It also helps with guest flow at Epcot but increasing usage at the (less used) International Gateway both for entry and exit but adding CBR/AoA/Pop guests to that gate and away from the main one. It's nice to spread out crowds especially at high volume times.
I would assume they would have to increase the size of the IG entry if they do this. there are currently only 4 "turnstiles" which is very nice with the limited traffic. with this huge increase in traffic, it will have to quadruple in size.

NearTheEars

Of course, asking a question.. a logical one, is totally derailing a thread. Got it.

There was actually a few intelligent and thought out responses in a sea of snark and sarcasm. So, some good came out of it.

Considering your positive stance on nearly all other recent WDW decisions (and there's nothing wrong with that) I'm just shocked that you pick this one, which has been widely praised so far by many a wdwmagic curmudgeon, to question.

They are adding a new, direct and potentially fun form of transportation that doesn't involve a bus. What's not to like?

Nubs70

They did just build that big solar farm in the proximity of DHS and Epcot.
Which the electricity will be sold to the grid at a preset wholesale rate not what WDW pays for electricity. If you want a real mental challenge, try to predict electrical prices. At certain circumstances, selling electricity to the grid can cost you money.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
This is the first answer that has actually provided an "answer" to the why..
Tha makes a little more sense, but busses can be moved around. How much of a price increase would have to happen at someplace like a value or a moderate.. ok, CBR is being made in to a deluxe apparently.. but a Value?

I don't know. I'll wait and see on this..
"Busses" are kisses.
"Buses" are a mode of transportation.

I'm very surprised at your reaction. You are usually much more enthusiastic ... "can't see the cabanas for the pixie dust" enthusiastic. Conversely, the folks who are usually down on everything the Mouse does, are applauding this possibility.

"Opposite Day" was weeks ago. Very interesting thread indeed.

Daveeeeed

"Busses" are kisses.
"Buses" are a mode of transportation.

I'm very surprised at your reaction. You are usually much more enthusiastic ... "can't see the cabanas for the pixie dust" enthusiastic. Conversely, the folks who are usually down on everything the Mouse does, are applauding this possibility.

"Opposite Day" was weeks ago. Very interesting thread indeed.
I can't tell if it's trolling or if she actually has serious questions, but I'm guessing it's the former.

On an on-topic note:
I could even see them being small like this, but I'd expect much larger TBH. I guess it depends on how many they can put per line.
Gonodla%2BRound%2BRock%2BFrog-Design-Gondola-Cable-cars1.jpg

Last edited:

homerdance

I would assume they would have to increase the size of the IG entry if they do this. there are currently only 4 "turnstiles" which is very nice with the limited traffic. with this huge increase in traffic, it will have to quadruple in size.
The theory is that this will drop guests off as "pre screened" so they would only need to pass through the ticket line and not security.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom