Disney testing new Express Fresh in-room dining

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm with you on this one, Goof. I ordered room service twice while staying at GF. While the CM delivering my food was friendly and set it up quickly, I certainly didn't get any type of show. Was I supposed to get magic tricks, balloons, light saber duel, a song, tap dance, what?

I've been robbed!!! :arghh:

I'm calling Morgan and Morgan.

Dining is to a large extent show and it's why tableside stuff like making a proper caesar salad or bananas foster is done and the waiter setting up the room for your meal is the show, Unless they have some lout who just delivers the cart and does not set up - hence no show.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm saying that a lower cost alternative COULD be more profitable depending on the cost structure and volume, especially if the adoption rate is substantially higher than an existing/comparable service that is seldom utilized. Sorry that doesn't make sense to you.

It's likely this program has higher MARGIN due to the elimination of many elements including the kitchen prep. As we all know WDW has had a laser like focus on MARGIN these days. So even if it has a lower dollar value than the current in room dining it's likely the gross margin is greater per dollar and so more desirable to WDW.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Dining is to a large extent show and it's why tableside stuff like making a proper caesar salad or bananas foster is done and the waiter setting up the room for your meal is the show, Unless they have some lout who just delivers the cart and does not set up - hence no show.

The room service menu isn't that extensive...

Laketravis

It's likely this program has higher MARGIN due to the elimination of many elements including the kitchen prep. As we all know WDW has had a laser like focus on MARGIN these days. So even if it has a lower dollar value than the current in room dining it's likely the gross margin is greater per dollar and so more desirable to WDW.

Exactly. I'd find it highly unlikely for Disney to roll out a new service that is less profitable than a current one.

Nubs70

If only people would look at every "improvement" through the perspective of margin, the burden of price and value would be lifted. Margin brings clarity. Margin shall set you free. Think margin then reality reveals itself, kind of like The Matrix.

21stamps

The problem is that REAL 4-5 star hotels offer 'room service' even if it's NOT profitable in that its an amenity travellers EXPECT hotels in that class to deliver. Even if the meal choices are limited but a real 5 star hotel will make anything you ask for whenever you ask for it.
No, they won't.
There's so much misconception of "5 star hotels" here lately. Maybe if you're staying concierge, but no, typically you can't just call room service and ask them to make anything that you want whenever you want.

Disney deluxe hotels do have room service. Some better options than others.. Poly by far has the best in variety imo. Breakfasts seem to be extremely popular at a lot of Disney resorts as well. We'll see if that goes away. I'm hoping it doesn't.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Whatever works for you.

Although I think it's interesting that you think you know me well enough to judge how satisfied I am with the product and whether I continue to buy it and for what reasons.
He can't hear read you -- he put you on ignore.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No, they won't.
There's so much misconception of "5 star hotels" here lately. Maybe if you're staying concierge, but no, typically you can't just call room service and ask them to make anything that you want whenever you want.

Disney deluxe hotels do have room service. Some better options than others.. Poly by far has the best in variety imo. Breakfasts seem to be extremely popular at a lot of Disney resorts as well. We'll see if that goes away. I'm hoping it doesn't.

Sure you can. We're talking 5 star rated hotels here, not 5 stars on yelp. :joyfull:

WDW Monorail

So WDW, a hospitality innovator, is now a replicator.

So if industry leading resorts and hotels have listened to customer's requests around the world and began to transform traditional room service in to a quick delivery service and the world leading resort property of WDW also decides to listen to current customer trends they are somehow in fault?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So if industry leading resorts and hotels have listened to customer's requests around the world and began to transform traditional room service in to a quick delivery service and the world leading resort property of WDW also decides to listen to current customer trends they are somehow in fault?

That's not what @Nubs70 said at all. The implication is that TWDC fell from an innovation leader to a trend follower.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No, they won't.

From that comment you have NEVER stayed at a real 5 star hotel where amenities like this do exist along with concierges who can get you tickets to sold out shows or pretty much everything you desire for a price. The kind of hotel where you say I need a car at eight sharp and there is car service provided not a cab.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's not what @Nubs70 said at all. The implication is that TWDC fell from an innovation leader to a trend follower.

Further the kind of guests Disney wants EXPECTS the services that Disney is discontinuing. Just a huge disconnect from reality. Do you think Bob and his wife are going to stay at a hotel where if they want late nite meal or snack via room service it's not available ....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If only people would look at every "improvement" through the perspective of margin, the burden of price and value would be lifted. Margin brings clarity. Margin shall set you free. Think margin then reality reveals itself, kind of like The Matrix.

Amen brother! Preaching the gospel of Margin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom