Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

britain

I still feel weirdly confused by the fact that the sims will move around in a big circle -- I suppose it might make more sense once we see it, but why couldn't they just built them in place and move guests to and from them? Can it even possibly be part of the ride that the whole building rotates so slowly that you hardly notice?

That would break the illusion. The queue will simulate was walking through the Millennium Falcon. They aren't going to build lots of millennium falcons to walk through. They'll build one to walk through and lots of cockpits to rotate into it.

(OK, I suspect they will kind of build 2 millennium falcons: the one on the outside that serves as a weenie for everyone to see, and the interior of one somewhere inside that everyone walks through. )

Last edited:

doctornick

I still feel weirdly confused by the fact that the sims will move around in a big circle -- I suppose it might make more sense once we see it, but why couldn't they just built them in place and move guests to and from them? Can it even possibly be part of the ride that the whole building rotates so slowly that you hardly notice?

It's more like the carousel part of the original Imagination if you are familiar. And the purpose of the rotation is the allow for higher capacity and to allow people to feel like they are entering the "real" cockpit of the Falcon in a believable fashion. At this this is my understanding...

When you get to load, you'll enter the "cockpit" and be seated/safety check/etc. But this "room" (the ride vehicle) will be moving very slowly in a circle (think Omnimover loading but even slower) to be imperceptible movement. This allow the room being loaded to move into position and then move out of position from the queue to allow the next group to enter a new "cockpit" while maintaining the illusion of being in the real cockpit. Your cockpit will then rotate out of the loading area and the ride will take place with all the requisite simulation movements to make you believe you are flying. The rotation around in a big circle would be to allow sufficient ride time for the experience until you rotate back towards the beginning of the ride -- to unload.

I'm sure @marni1971 will correct if I'm wrong. The main trick they want to use for this ride is to make it seem as though your group alone is going into the real Millennium Falcon and, since there's only one real ship, you can't be see other folks enter a similar looking but different cockpit.

Jahona

So I wonder if I can schedule vacation 2 years in advance. :p

The consensus I saw is that Disneyland was far ahead of HWS. I wonder if the two lands will open the same year but different months or at the same time.

doctornick

So I wonder if I can schedule vacation 2 years in advance. :p

The consensus I saw is that Disneyland was far ahead of HWS. I wonder if the two lands will open the same year but different months or at the same time.

DL is probably 4-6 months ahead and will almost certainly open first. Whether the construction gap will widen or shrink between the two depends on how much money or effort is spent on one or the other to get it done quicker. I think there's a real push by Disney to get them open ASAP to capitalize on the IP as much/quickly as possible. This does not strike me as a project that would go slow just to "spread out costs" because they know the huge revenue/draw that will occur with opening and want it to happen ASAP.

yensidtlaw1969

That would break the illusion. The queue will simulate was walking through the Millennium Falcon. They aren't going to build lots of millennium falcons to walk through. They'll build one to walk through and lots of cockpits to rotate into it.

(OK, I suspect they will kind of build 2 millennium falcons: the one on the outside that serves as a weenie for everyone to see, and the interior of one somewhere inside that everyone walks through. )
Ah! I had no idea about the queue -- that certainly makes sense of it. I knew the rotation was for capacity's sake, but couldn't imagine how it would actually achieve anything. Thanks for the insight!

DisneyRoy

It's more like the carousel part of the original Imagination if you are familiar. And the purpose of the rotation is the allow for higher capacity and to allow people to feel like they are entering the "real" cockpit of the Falcon in a believable fashion. At this this is my understanding...

When you get to load, you'll enter the "cockpit" and be seated/safety check/etc. But this "room" (the ride vehicle) will be moving very slowly in a circle (think Omnimover loading but even slower) to be imperceptible movement. This allow the room being loaded to move into position and then move out of position from the queue to allow the next group to enter a new "cockpit" while maintaining the illusion of being in the real cockpit. Your cockpit will then rotate out of the loading area and the ride will take place with all the requisite simulation movements to make you believe you are flying. The rotation around in a big circle would be to allow sufficient ride time for the experience until you rotate back towards the beginning of the ride -- to unload.

I'm sure @marni1971 will correct if I'm wrong. The main trick they want to use for this ride is to make it seem as though your group alone is going into the real Millennium Falcon and, since there's only one real ship, you can't be see other folks enter a similar looking but different cockpit.

Sounds OmniMover-ish. Does that mean it will have an OmniMover capacity? Or are we looking at something less?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's pretty much it. It's a capacity booster as much as a story telling device.

There's other ways capacity is being increased too. This was a real worry.

the.dreamfinder

That's pretty much it. It's a capacity booster as much as a story telling device.

I guess this is also the problem of building both lands with the smaller plot of land at DL dictating the design? This ride, provided enough acreage, could have been mirrored to double the capacity.

britain

I'm encouraged by the past tense of "was". Does that mean the hourly numbers have increased since last reported? (1300-ish?)

Or is 1300 already the increased number?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom