"Paddlefish" is a fail in theme.

rkleinlein

Hideously bland. Inside and out. But this is consistent with the overall blandness of Disney Springs which, with few exceptions, has the same stores, look, and feel as scores of other "town square," or "town center," style outdoor malls you can find everywhere nowadays.

Disneyhead'71

Fortunately, the modern Disney company knows the surefire solution: randomly insert something based on a film that was popular a few years ago! If we're lucky, the paddle steamer can quickly be retooled into some sort of space junkyard with a talking raccoon. Or it could feature a singing snowman. Or even better: randomly insert a princess for the 12 & under girl segment.
Princess, yes. Tiana, no. That would make too much sense.

Jasmine. That's the ticket!

The Empress Lilly

Fortunately, the modern Disney company knows the surefire solution: randomly insert something based on a film that was popular a few years ago! If we're lucky, the paddle steamer can quickly be retooled into some sort of space junkyard with a talking raccoon. Or it could feature a singing snowman. Or even better: randomly insert a princess for the 12 & under girl segment.
To be perfectly honest, that was pretty much the fate that already befell the Empress Lilly. Used for a character breakfast. ;)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Apparently. The restaurant looks amazing and someplace I want to eat. The pictures posted of the old decor, I find to be cramped and very out dated. In fact, hopefully I can switch my reservation from Boathouse to Paddlefish for my trip in May.
I would do both. The Boathouse is an awesome restaurant. We ate there on our last trip, and everything was top notch.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Apparently. The restaurant looks amazing and someplace I want to eat. The pictures posted of the old decor, I find to be cramped and very out dated. In fact, hopefully I can switch my reservation from Boathouse to Paddlefish for my trip in May.
Boathouse is awesome. Don't cancel that one. Maybe eat at Boathouse and grab a drink at Paddlefish.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm in the middle. I think it is themed terribly, but I think it looks nice. It has got to thinking about theme in WDW in broad strokes, how it has changed in my lifetime, whether or not it is important to those in charge, whether it should be important to those in charge, and whether or not it should only exist in very targeted areas in the theme parks and resorts. That's really quite a lot for one restaurant re-design to get me to ponder, but I've been thinking about it on the last couple of long boring commutes.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm in the middle. I think it is themed terribly, but I think it looks nice. It has got to thinking about theme in WDW in broad strokes, how it has changed in my lifetime, whether or not it is important to those in charge, whether it should be important to those in charge, and whether or not it should only exist in very targeted areas in the theme parks and resorts. That's really quite a lot for one restaurant re-design to get me to ponder, but I've been thinking about it on the last couple of long boring commutes.
The theming is bland. Like DS as a whole. Bland but nice. Would I prefer Adventurers Club level theming across all of DTD? YES!!! Alas, they went a different direction, and I think it's ok for this application.

I agree that over-arching theme at the parks needs to be a higher priority though.

Goofyernmost

I'm with you, and I guess we're in the minority.
No, what you are hearing is the vocal minority. And to disagree will be met with much mocking and belittling and preaching about how great things were and how they should never change. If I might be allowed to quote them... "Walt would be spinning in his chilly grave" due to the idea that so many want to stifle any change in the parks. In spite of the fact that he was the one that said it will always be changing. Personally, I think the place looks great.

3WaltFans

For me, Paddlefish is huge improvement over what was there before.

It is modern, sleek, and up to the standard of the other Disney Springs restaurants. What was there before was horribly dated, and frankly, it was falling apart.

We've got a lot of photos, take a look if you haven't already.
PHOTOS - Tour the new Paddlefish restaurant, now open at Disney Springs

Agree with 100%. I enjoyed Fulton's but it seemed like I was in my grandma's house, old floors, pictures, not been updated in 25 years. I love the modern look of paddlefish. It makes me want to visit.
Thanks for the awesome pictures, can't wait to visit in July.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For me, Paddlefish is huge improvement over what was there before.

It is modern, sleek, and up to the standard of the other Disney Springs restaurants. What was there before was horribly dated, and frankly, it was falling apart.

Ancient Rome is falling apart too.. doesn't mean we should replace it with glass skyscrapers. I totally agree with the need to update - but not with the approval of moving to contemporary utilitarian vs creating something with identity, character, and uniqueness.

Goofyernmost

Ancient Rome is falling apart too.. doesn't mean we should replace it with glass skyscrapers. I totally agree with the need to update - but not with the approval of moving to contemporary utilitarian vs creating something with identity, character, and uniqueness.
Please, Rome ancient or otherwise, is a civilization. Paddlefish is part of a shopping location as was the Empress Lily and the Crab House. It has no legitimate historic significance and is nothing more then vessel for profit making. Let's not go overboard on the nostalgia stuff. And it has identity, character and uniqueness, just not in your opinion.

Beacon Joe

To be perfectly honest, that was pretty much the fate that already befell the Empress Lilly. Used for a character breakfast. ;)

Touche. I forgot about that!

Princess, yes. Tiana, no. That would make too much sense.

Jasmine. That's the ticket!

A Tiana / Princess and the Frog theme would be pretty darn cool. Much better than the Hilton Garden Inn lounge aesthetic they went for. Sigh...

Lets Respect

It comes down to what you like and what you think is beautiful. I will always like things that are a bit more ornate, other folks feel differently and like things that are more sleek. This reminds me of a church renovation where they take out all of the old Victorian "churchy" elements (which to be fair were probably copies to begin with) and make it look "modern" The other question is, does it look like a boat anymore? Or what we think a steamboat should look like anyway

Jocie115

LOL you guys crack me up. Although I do agree with most of you on the new look. Wanna hear a fun fact though?

It was Disney PR who forced Fultons and Planet Hollywood to change their design concept over to a more 'modern' look, in order to match the feel of the New Disney Springs. So they were forced into reconstruction in order to go more MODERN!! It wasnt even up to them. How crazy is that?:bored: Peh

lazyboy97o

LOL you guys crack me up. Although I do agree with most of you on the new look. Wanna hear a fun fact though?

It was Disney PR who forced Fultons and Planet Hollywood to change their design concept over to a more 'modern' look, in order to match the feel of the New Disney Springs. So they were forced into reconstruction in order to go more MODERN!! It wasnt even up to them. How crazy is that?:bored: Peh
There is nothing inherently crazy about Disney requiring the venues of Disney Springs to conform with its story. A themed environment is built on a consistency of narrative. Nor is there anything about contemporary design which dictates the design choices that have resulted in the rather generic aesthetics. The real issue is the story of Disney Springs is far too open. It is almost completely lacking in any rules or guidelines that would shape the versions design elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom