Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Luxe

Humour me for a second...

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for Disney to put in the B&TB ride? That way, in order to ride the only Frozen and B&TB ride at the resort you would have to pay for Epcot admission one way or another. Since Epcot is too boring(allegedly) for most kids these days, it would drive at least SOME attendance, no? Call me cynical but it's hard to believe that thought hasn't crossed their minds.

doctornick

Original Poster

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for Disney to put in the B&TB ride? That way, in order to ride the only Frozen and B&TB ride at the resort you would have to pay for Epcot admission one way or another. Since Epcot is too boring(allegedly) for most kids these days, it would drive at least SOME attendance, no? Call me cynical but it's hard to believe that thought hasn't crossed their minds.

You don't think that kids would want to ride Ratatouille?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, if you want to look at it from a purely mercurial perspective, a Rat ride provides as much child-friendly entertainment as a BatB ride, making Epcot more child-friendly.

Also, it would elevate the Rat movie into more a classic-Disney-movie realm since it now has a US ride based off of it. This would increase streaming and blu-ray dividends and would strengthen a stream of merchandise sales which has diminished greatly. And the Rat would be more ingrained to be a mascot of World Showcase restaurants and festivals.

A BatB ride can still be built for a future MK ride, but the Rat wouldn't work that much anywhere else but the France pavilion.

WildcatDen

Serpico had hinted a new attraction in France and thought the rodent had the inside track. I had communicated that a while back. The other hint Serpico had at that time, a potential new country prior to the 50th seems to have lost traction. Not saying it is still not possible, but it sounds like it is not likely, at least in time for the 50th. I will reiterate, the idea that each park will have something newish by the 50th is, from what I have been told, still in the 'plans'. And for those wondering, I do not believe Pandora, TSL/SWL, or GOTG are part of that effort or kept score on the same card as the 50th offerings. . .

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I feel like B&TB has more draw than the Rat which is why I brought up that angle.
I'm sure that is/was the debate going on. From a standpoint of "fitting in" to the France pavilion Rat is far superior to BatB but I think Beast has a lot more popularity and would potentially sell more merchandise (although they could sell BatB stuff in MK and Rat stuff in EPCOT). So they decide better fit or more popular....more popular won out with Norway so who knows, maybe they will go with BatB.

Mike S

Yes in a smarter executive line up both of these project would be happening :/ one at mk the other at DHS.
Fixed that for you.
Is there good info out there for the BatB Tokyo ride? Can someone post links? All I know of it is what I've read here about it being trackless and I've seen the one piece of concept art where it looks like you are riding in a tea cup around a table. It seems like a number of people know a lot more than that about the ride.
This gives you all you need to know.
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20160427_01e.pdf
It'll be an 8 minute ride apparently. Another reason why I want it over Rat.
BATB deserves a ride in WDW and DLR (I think it's almost more likely for DL), but the fact that it is being considered for Epcot of all places when it has an area in MK that occupies more space than any other IP in MK is ridiculous. Just shows how clueless that FLE really was about what the park needed/what makes sense to do.

I feel like it will end up being Rat for multiple reasons.
1) Cheaper by far
2) Fits the theme of the pavilion more by far
3) A "boy" IP for WS when the only other current IP is Frozen
4) CHEAPER
*sigh*

I blame the princess merch line for making the movies seem anti-boy. All of them can be incredibly enjoyable no matter what gender you are. Rides could be no different. I'm not afraid to say that I absolutely love The Little Mermaid and Tangled.

DDLand

Is there good info out there for the BatB Tokyo ride? Can someone post links? All I know of it is what I've read here about it being trackless and I've seen the one piece of concept art where it looks like you are riding in a tea cup around a table. It seems like a number of people know a lot more than that about the ride.
"This new area opening in Fantasyland will let Guests experience the world of the Disney film Beauty and the Beast. With the Beast’s castle and the village where Belle lives, the entire environment of this area will make Guests feel like they are in the film. Located within the Beast’s castle will be a major attraction themed to Beauty and the Beast that can be experienced only in Japan. And in the village, there will be a shop and a restaurant.
Duration: About 8 minutes
Description: Guests board enchanted serving dishes that dance in rhythm to the film’s well-known music and follow Belle on a romantic musical adventure inside the enchanted Castle where she dances her way into the heart of the Beast, just in time to break the fateful spell. Guests will feel like they have entered right into the film."

Here is the press release with art and the other projects:
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20161014_03e.pdf

Cost for the B&B section is around $278 Million.

It appears any Epcot ride would have to follow at least a somewhat different formula. Exclusivity is all the rage. That's not to say certain R&D couldn't be deployed for both attractions, keeping the respective costs of each down.

Update: I see @Mike S beat me by a couple minutes... ;)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fixed that for you.

This gives you all you need to know.
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20160427_01e.pdf
It'll be an 8 minute ride apparently. Another reason why I want it over Rat.

*sigh*

I blame the princess merch line for making the movies seem anti-boy. All of them can be incredibly enjoyable no matter what gender you are. Rides could be no different. I'm not afraid to say that I absolutely love The Little Mermaid and Tangled.
Thanks. I figured someone had the details. That land looks like a perfect addition...for Fantasyland.
"This new area opening in Fantasyland will let Guests experience the world of the Disney film Beauty and the Beast. With the Beast’s castle and the village where Belle lives, the entire environment of this area will make Guests feel like they are in the film. Located within the Beast’s castle will be a major attraction themed to Beauty and the Beast that can be experienced only in Japan. And in the village, there will be a shop and a restaurant.
Description: Guests board enchanted serving dishes that dance in rhythm to the film’s well-known music and follow Belle on a romantic musical adventure inside the enchanted Castle where she dances her way into the heart of the Beast, just in time to break the fateful spell. Guests will feel like they have entered right into the film."

It appears any Epcot ride would have to follow at least a somewhat different formula. Exclusivity is all the rage. That's not to say certain R&D couldn't be deployed for both attractions, keeping the respective costs of each down.
I would assume the ride would be cloned but not the whole village or Beast's Castle. They could make the outside fit better into the France pavilion but it would take something away from the overall experience losing the outside of the attraction.

I thought I read somewhere Rat was in the $200 to $250M range so the costs don't seem to be that much different but the BatB Land seems a lot more extensive and the ride is longer.

Edit: according to Wikipedia Rat ride cost $270M to build. It's Wikipedia so it must be true;). If it is then I guess the ride isn't much cheaper to build after all.

Cesar R M

I just really hope it isnt BOTB... and even less if its just a themed bathroom..
it gives me nightmares based on this comic:

Translations

Beast: time to do a sh..t!
door says : poop room .

living bathroom: "BEAST NO!"

living bathroom: I repeat, I AM HERE!

Toilet papers: NO PLEASE
STOP BEAST!
CR_990291_si_todos_los_objetos_del_castillo_eran_humanos_malditos.jpg

" in the end.. not everyone had their happy ending".

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Cesar R M

Update: I see @Mike S beat me by a couple minutes... ;)
This is for Tokyo right?
I wonder how the costs would balloon once they are translated for TDO prices..

DDLand

Thanks. I figured someone had the details. That land looks like a perfect addition...for Fantasyland.

I would assume the ride would be cloned but not the whole village or Beast's Castle. They could make the outside fit better into the France pavilion but it would take something away from the overall experience losing the outside of the attraction.

I thought I read somewhere Rat was in the $200 to $250M range so the costs don't seem to be that much different but the BatB Land seems a lot more extensive and the ride is longer.

Edit: according to Wikipedia Rat ride cost $270M to build. It's Wikipedia so it must be true;). If it is then I guess the ride isn't much cheaper to build after all.
Dissecting the wording closely reveals it may actually be the ride that can't be cloned:
"Located within the Beast’s castle will be a major attraction themed to Beauty and the Beast that can be experienced only in Japan."

Looking at the art also points to a facade very similar to our New Fantasyland. Obviously bigger, but very similiar nonetheless. There appears to be an agreement in force to stop any clones of the ride from taking shape.

Smart move.

Keep in mind that all the Rat Tech and story has already been developed, and with B&B they would be starting from scratch. No Rat R&D required. One can quickly understand why WDI prefers the B&B ride.

Theoretically by using an existing ride design with 2013 tech, the cost should be lower. I'm not sure if they would be the case, but theoretically.

I wonder what portfolio leader Tom thinks of all this. He worked on the Rat right? It would make sense for him to be rooting for the Rat, but who knows.

This is for Tokyo right?
I wonder how the costs would balloon once they are translated for TDO prices..
Yes, and this new area is needed. As much as I love the awesome Retro Rocket Jets, the park desperately needs new park spaces and updates to existing ones. As much as we complain about our Magic Kingdom aesthetically, its guest areas are in far better shape than Tokyo Disneyland's. Their upkeep is superb, but it has not been properly updated overtime. It's roster is excellent, but it's my least favorite Castle Park in terms of looks (excluding Paris where I can't say).

This is WDI. They're expensive here, they're expensive there, they're expensive everywhere! ;)

Sped2424

Dissecting the wording closely reveals it may actually be the ride that can't be cloned:
"Located within the Beast’s castle will be a major attraction themed to Beauty and the Beast that can be experienced only in Japan."

Looking at the art also points to a facade very similar to our New Fantasyland. Obviously bigger, but very similiar nonetheless. There appears to be an agreement in force to stop any clones of the ride from taking shape.

Smart move.

Keep in mind that all the Rat Tech and story has already been developed, and with B&B they would be starting from scratch. No Rat R&D required. One can quickly understand why WDI prefers the B&B ride.

Theoretically by using an existing ride design with 2013 tech, the cost should be lower. I'm not sure if they would be the case, but theoretically.

I wonder what portfolio leader Tom thinks of all this. He worked on the Rat right? It would make sense for him to be rooting for the Rat, but who knows.

Yes, and this new area is needed. As much as I love the awesome Retro Rocket Jets, the park desperately needs new park spaces and updates to existing ones. As much as we complain about our Magic Kingdom aesthetically, its guest areas are in far better shape than Tokyo Disneyland's. Their upkeep is superb, but it has not been properly updated overtime. It's roster is excellent, but it's my least favorite Castle Park in terms of looks (excluding Paris where I can't say).

This is WDI. They're expensive here, they're expensive there, they're expensive everywhere! ;)
Batb can be cloned unless japan paid for exclusivity for a certain amount of years. But I am guessing if they did then this entire thread wouldn't be a discussion and given Magic Feathers comments on "clone wars" this would indeed appear to be just that. A clone.

Next Big Thing

While BATB will be the better ride, Rat fits better so i'm more in favor of Rat. Plus, we don't need WS turning into princessland.

I know the live-action BATB will make big money, probably over a billion, but if the cost is too much Disney won't pay for it no matter how much money is to be made in merch. I've seen them pass up on bigger opportunities in the past so this would be no surprise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom