Magic Band 2.0 - When can AP holders request them

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Santa brought the family APs for XMas. Our first trip won't be until June. We want to order the new Magic Bands when we can. Any idea when AP holders can order them?

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I am being told that we cannot get Magic Bands until our 2nd trip with our APs. They told me that you cannot request magic bands until the AP has been activated at a park. Once activated, you can get Magic Bands through the site but it takes 10-14 days for delivery. They do not give Magic Bands out at Guest Services where you activate the APs. I find it ridiculous that AP Holders cannot order a magic band for the first visit.

BAD311

I agree bigred, we just become AP holders and it's stupid we can't get our magic bands... I imagine we cannot schedule ride reservations either unless we have our magicbands?

EvilQueen-T

I agree bigred, we just become AP holders and it's stupid we can't get our magic bands... I imagine we cannot schedule ride reservations either unless we have our magicbands?

As long as your APs are linked in MDE you can make your fast pass. Once you're just renewing your APs they send a magic band.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
As I did more research SOME annual passholders get the ability to order their magicbands, others do not. There is no rhyme or reason to it. We just have to get ours at Guest Services when we arrive. I can understand a little bit because I don't have to activate mine until 2030.

As for FP, you can do that 30 days out. That I know for certain. You just can do it for your whole stay. You have to do them 1 day at a time.

. We just have to get ours at Guest Services when we arrive. .
As for FP, you can do that 30 days out. That I know for certain. You just can do it for your whole stay. You have to do them 1 day at a time.
Two questions:
When you pick up at Guest Services do you only get gray?
If you have hotel reservations can you still book 60 day in advance?

BigRedDad

Original Poster
I assume you can get any color MagicBand. I will call them to find out. On site guests can reserve 60 days out.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Well, I got off the phone with Disney Customer Service about Annual Passholders and Magicbands. The Disney policy is to treat Annual Passholders below regular ticket holders. The only way to get a MagicBand on your initial visit is to purchase one at the store for $25-$35+. I asked why and they had no real answer other than not wanting Guest Relations to have to activate passes. I then asked why not just provide a voucher at Guest Relations for AP holders to get a free Magic Band at one of the stores that sell them. A long silent pause of "wow, that would be logical" followed by "this is not how it works".

I have escalated the complaint and will reply when I hear more. I even asked the question of making a dummy reservation for 1 night, get the MagicBands in, then cancel the reservation after they arrive.

I am also looking into reactivating my old MagicBands, have the APs linked to those, and then seeing if the old MBs allow me to request new MBs.

disney4life2008

Well, I got off the phone with Disney Customer Service about Annual Passholders and Magicbands. The Disney policy is to treat Annual Passholders below regular ticket holders. The only way to get a MagicBand on your initial visit is to purchase one at the store for $25-$35+. I asked why and they had no real answer other than not wanting Guest Relations to have to activate passes. I then asked why not just provide a voucher at Guest Relations for AP holders to get a free Magic Band at one of the stores that sell them. A long silent pause of "wow, that would be logical" followed by "this is not how it works".

I have escalated the complaint and will reply when I hear more. I even asked the question of making a dummy reservation for 1 night, get the MagicBands in, then cancel the reservation after they arrive.

I am also looking into reactivating my old MagicBands, have the APs linked to those, and then seeing if the old MBs allow me to request new MBs.

Am i the only one who has a problem with you wanting to make a dummy reservation? Seriously

21stamps

I received my Passholder band before my trip.
Even if you don't-
You can use any Magic Bands from the past with your AP. I brought 4 with me on our trip. All worked fine.
The old ones are already attached to your MDE...they are probably already still activated. If not- Click "activate". No need to start dummy reservations and all of that mess.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Am i the only one who has a problem with you wanting to make a dummy reservation? Seriously
No need to do it at all if they simply provided Annual Passholders and equivalent benefit. What is the purpose of not allowing an AP holder the ability to order the Magic Bands before the first use?

21stamps

You do not need magic bands to schedule your FPs.

Who told you guys that you can't get your MBs? Have you logged into your MDE and checked if it said "customize"? Did you link them already?
No need to do it at all if they simply provided Annual Passholders and equivalent benefit. What is the purpose of not allowing an AP holder the ability to order the Magic Bands before the first use?

Like I said, I received mine prior to first use. I also used old bands. It's not as complicated as needing to make fake reservations.

sjhym333

My assumption is that Disney thinks that most AP holders are local or localish and are willing to wait a week or so to get a MB in the mail. Every time I have purchased a AP for myself or someone else the option to get a MagicBand and personalize it didn't appear on my MDE account until after I used my AP for the first time. I just got a new AP after a couple of years and when I picked it up at the EPCOT ticket window I noticed that the cast member had a rack of colored MB's in the booth. I got excited and asked if they were going to give me one on the spot. He told me that I would be able to order one once I entered the park and personalize it. My response was: It would save Disney a lot of money if you could just hand me one right now. He said no but offered to sell me one. No thanks I said. Sure enough as soon as I entered EPCOT my MDE account showed that I had a MB that was waiting to be ordered. At this point in MagicBand history it seems that it would make more sense to pick up your MB at a ticket booth or if you want it personalized at one of the places inside the park. They could even take the moment to upsell you a more expensive MB. It makes no sense to me that they want to mail them.

Dad 2 M & M

My assumption is that Disney thinks that most AP holders are local or localish and are willing to wait a week or so to get a MB in the mail. Every time I have purchased a AP for myself or someone else the option to get a MagicBand and personalize it didn't appear on my MDE account until after I used my AP for the first time. I just got a new AP after a couple of years and when I picked it up at the EPCOT ticket window I noticed that the cast member had a rack of colored MB's in the booth. I got excited and asked if they were going to give me one on the spot. He told me that I would be able to order one once I entered the park and personalize it. My response was: It would save Disney a lot of money if you could just hand me one right now. He said no but offered to sell me one. No thanks I said. Sure enough as soon as I entered EPCOT my MDE account showed that I had a MB that was waiting to be ordered. At this point in MagicBand history it seems that it would make more sense to pick up your MB at a ticket booth or if you want it personalized at one of the places inside the park. They could even take the moment to upsell you a more expensive MB. It makes no sense to me that they want to mail them.
Strange....I renewed my AP online just before Christmas and havn't been to the parks since. I just went in MDE and was able to "customize" my AP band, but no where was the new Band 2.0. Same customization as in the past...choose color and name only.

Do want to point out, I have NOT been in the parks since renewing, so I was able to do so BEFORE using my renewed pass to get in the parks.

Again, no 2.0 option on MDE.....

You do not need magic bands to schedule your FPs.

Who told you guys that you can't get your MBs? Have you logged into your MDE and checked if it said "customize"? Did you link them already?

Like I said, I received mine prior to first use. I also used old bands. It's not as complicated as needing to make fake reservations.
Just out of curiosity, when you customized, did it show the 2.0 Bands, or the old ones?

I just customized mine, and it appeared to be the old band(s), or at least the graphics did. And, as I stated above, I haven't been to a park since I paid online, so that "you have to go to a park before your can activate" is another Urban Legend peeps read and repeat as if its the real deal...2013 when I initially purchased my AP, I did so online and received my passholder card and Magic Band in the mail in one package BEFORE going back to a park

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

I just saw a post in the last two days of a pic where someone who had just got their AP bands and they were the new ones. We renewed our APs mid December and they sent us the original bands. Same for our January trip. So it seems like they're starting to roll out now.
Just customized my AP Band a few mins ago, and it looks like the old style....BTW paid my renewal pre-Christmas and haven't been to the Parks since early Dec

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom