Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

JT3000

What's redacted DON'T DO THIS TOO MEEE lol all joking aside Nintendo is the one super property for me where honestly going there might make me shed a real tear.

Okay, I'll tell you about the... I'm sorry, I seem to have lost my train of thought. What were we talking about? :D

In all seriousness, it's probably far too early for me to be saying anything, but if what I've heard (from a reputable source) about their possible long-term plans for Nintendo comes to fruition, there may have already been some rather hilarious yet accidental (or not?) foreshadowing somewhere at the resort. :jawdrop:

Last edited:

imperius

Okay, I'll tell you about the... I'm sorry, I seem to have lost my train of thought. What were we talking about? :D

In all seriousness, it's probably far too early for me to be saying anything, but if what I've heard (from a reputable source) about their possible long-term plans for Nintendo comes to fruition, there may have already been some rather hilarious yet accidental (or not?) foreshadowing somewhere at the resort. :jawdrop:
Hmmm something at IOA pointing to Pokemon or Zelda already?

Brad Bishop

I see what's happening with Nintendo at Universal and I'm pretty excited about it. We're all familiar with the games, characters, music, etc.

I see the ongoing construction of Avatar at DAK and there is no excitement. No one remembers the characters, music, or much else than the 3D and generic story (evil corporations are evil).

I look at Disney and shake my head thinking, "How are you not getting this??"

...and I'd bet that Nintendo at Universal will come in faster and less cost than Avatar at DAK.. Also, Nintendo at Universal seems like a better fit than Avatar at DAK.

Mike S

Hmmm something at IOA pointing to Pokemon or Zelda already?
They do sell the Master Sword in Lost Continent.
W6CyYXa.jpg

Mike S

I wouldn't count Avatar land out just yet. I'm thinking it will be cool whether you know the movie or not, a movie is not needed for a good theme park land.

Doesn't matter, Universal is on a building binge, Disney is kicking it up a notch. There are no losers in this battle.
Except maybe Toy Story Land. They're totally getting schooled, by Universal of all companies, on how to build a "family" area.

2351metalcloud

hilarious yet accidental (or not?) foreshadowing somewhere at the resort. :jawdrop:

Minions foreshadowing Rabbids?

(I hope they aren't letting those Rabbids effect how they make a game much because they want something like Minions. It's already hard enough to make a good game that many people buy. Nintendo more than some other companies can't afford to release games not many people will buy. But I guess maybe that's why they're supposedly putting them in there, to help with sales of stuff. It just seems kind of risky. )

Or how about moving Popeye to the Nintendo area They made a game of that once.

UpAllNight

Except maybe Toy Story Land. They're totally getting schooled, by Universal of all companies, on how to build a "family" area.

Theme park wise Universal are doing things right but the fundamental reason why it still won't be enough to make Disney suffer is the sheer brand loyalty that comes from Disneys movie output, which is off the scale excellent....Universal need to start making better movies to make their in house IP unmissable.

Mike S

Theme park wise Universal are doing things right but the fundamental reason why it still won't be enough to make Disney suffer is the sheer brand loyalty that comes from Disneys movie output, which is off the scale excellent....Universal need to start making better movies to make their in house IP unmissable.
At least when it comes to Marvel Disney is inadvertently helping Universal ;)

UpAllNight

At least when it comes to Marvel Disney is inadvertently helping Universal ;)

Haha true

I think people in general are taking for granted what Disney are doing well on the movie front. Me and 3 friends went to see Moana the other day, we're all over 24...and it blew us away.

So naturally then you look back at all their recent animated films and they're all strong. Then Marvel. Then Star Wars. Pixar continues to deliver. Their dip into live action remakes has started strong and continues to look promising.

Disneys ultimate benefit is their own name. Any good film is instantly recognised as 'Disney', so 'Disney World' will always appeal...as it's the films 'home'

Where Universal are strong and continue to improve in my opinion is that it's becoming a must visit destination for revisitors through good experiences, strong word of mouth and hype. Their state of the art rides are seen as innovative, fresh and exciting...so yeah I see Nintendo continuing to build on this...but ultimately Disney is Disney and the strength of their brand means 'Toy Story land' is every bit as appealing to a casual guest as Universals (likely) much more impressive, ambitious Nintendo World. Sadly.

JT3000

When it comes to brand loyalty, the quality of Universal's movies isn't the problem. It's simply impossible for them to invoke the same brand loyalty Disney has, as they're a "generic" Hollywood studio that doesn't specialize in a specific type of film the way Disney does. Universal has plenty of classic films in its library, but with the possible exception of the Universal Monsters (which they're currently in the process of ruining), no one looks at them, either individually or as a whole, and pays any mind to who released them. Disney will always have a huge edge in this respect because their products collectively scream their brand from the roof tops. Incidentally, their films also usually translate more easily to theme park attractions.

That being said, I would argue that most of the general public still do not associate Marvel or Star Wars with Disney, and may not for a long time. Those properties aren't bringing anyone to their parks because they're "Disney." That's not to say a Star Wars land won't reel people in, but that would have been the case even if they didn't own the IP, just like Universal and Harry Potter. In practice, I don't believe there's much difference between Disney adding Star Wars and Universal adding Nintendo. One just pays licensing fees and the other doesn't.

Mike S

I have heard that we could see construction at least behind the scenes start after HHN27. That the parade warehouse and the area behind MIB will be cleared. Which means HHN is gonna have to do some shifting around of houses again.
So this isn't just KidZone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom