Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Princess Leia

Coming from someone who didn't have video games growing up (though I did play them at cousins' and friends' homes), it makes sense to open with Mario & Donkey Kong. Those are probably their two best known characters (with the exception of Pikachu). When they expand, they can hype Zelda and Pokemon. Considering how big Pokemon Go was over the summer, Pokemon-land will probably be a major focus when it does arrive in 2024 (just my guess as to when it will be built).

Mike S

Coming from someone who didn't have video games growing up (though I did play them at cousins' and friends' homes), it makes sense to open with Mario & Donkey Kong. Those are probably their two best known characters (with the exception of Pikachu). When they expand, they can hype Zelda and Pokemon. Considering how big Pokemon Go was over the summer, Pokemon-land will probably be a major focus when it does arrive in 2024 (just my guess as to when it will be built).
No to mention the success of Sun & Moon.

Mike S

Gotta remember Nintendo is only like 50% owner of Pokémon so not 100% sure it's available to be put in.
That's true but don't they also fully own the trademark?
And whatever pokemon game they have cooking up for the switch
Pokémon Stars according to rumor. A third version of Sun & Moon.
It is and if you don't think the Pokemon company is salivating at the mouth to do something like this you're fooling yourself.
Yup. It's easy money.

Sped2424

Original Poster
That's true but don't they also fully own the trademark?

Pokémon Stars according to rumor. A third version of Sun & Moon.

Yup. It's easy money.
They technically already tried a theme park (really it was more of a fair/carnival themed to pokemon for a limited time). But nonetheless it shows they have had and probably still very much do interest in this kind of thing.

tirian

Mario and Co. are almost as beloved as Disney characters. If Uni puts as much effort into this land as it did with HP, it will be the first thing to truly compete with Disney's combination of quality attractions and deep nostalgia.

HouseHacker97

I too thought pokemon would be a good idea to place in the park but thinking about it now, the game really dropped off the face of the planet after a couple months... I'm not so sure now

BrianLo

The power of Pokémon isn't about whether Go is still outrageously popular, it's about this core franchise that has translated now into a main video game series, a card game, TV show/movies and a mobile game and is as relevant in 2016 as it was in 1999.

Whether they have waxed and waned over the years they were all absolutely explosive in the public zeitgeist. All the more reason the risk should be taken that a theme park land could also capture the same magic with this property (if done well).

It's funny, I recall a @HTF (hatetofly) thread in his subsection of UO that used to exist. I wish it wasn't deleted because myself and several others were pushing that Pokémon could be the potential franchise he was hinting at for Kid-zone, which was met with a good deal of disdain. It's interesting now that the conversation has literally turned into a likely eventuality rather than a ridiculous idea.

Mike S

The power of Pokémon isn't about whether Go is still outrageously popular, it's about this core franchise that has translated now into a main video game series, a card game, TV show/movies and a mobile game and is as relevant in 2016 as it was in 1999.

Whether they have waxed and waned over the years they were all absolutely explosive in the public zeitgeist. All the more reason the risk should be taken that a theme park land could also capture the same magic with this property (if done well).

It's funny, I recall a @HTF (hatetofly) thread in his subsection of UO that used to exist. I wish it wasn't deleted because myself and several others were pushing that Pokémon could be the potential franchise he was hinting at for Kid-zone, which was met with a good deal of disdain. It's interesting now that the conversation has literally turned into a likely eventuality rather than a ridiculous idea.
Well in all honesty Mario is what's rumored for KidZone with Pokémon as a possibility later somewhere else. Everyone's guess is the 3rd park.

BrianLo

Well in all honesty Mario is what's rumored for KidZone with Pokémon as a possibility later somewhere else. Everyone's guess is the 3rd park.

Oh ya I didn't mean to imply it was actually for Kidzone in the end.

I kind of wonder what he actually had heard back then, it preceded the announcement from Nintendo by a number of years and that seemed like it was annnounced the second it firmed up. @HTF

Mike S

Universal has been kind of quite lately, new hotel started but no new attractions. If they are going to keep their pace it's about time for the next thing to be announced. I'm sure there are plans for the new land Universal bought but I just do see that all happening quickly. They still have some sort of EPA situation to work out. A blank piece of land takes a while to get into shape as far as planning infrastructure, traffic studies etc. All of those have to do with the government, permits etc. I would not expect a large piece of land in Orlando to be quick in it's dealings with the Orlando, possibly state government and in this case most likely Federal government. Meetings to advise the neighbors and let them speak their grievances, just that can take a year or so unless everyone is happy with what Universal is doing. Highly unlikely. Someone will have a problem.

Universal is doing something about the EPA stuff. Next would be an over all plan for the land. Then comes drainage, utilities, traffic studies. Everyone gets to voice their opinions through public meetings, government meetings with the planning commission. All that can take a couple of years which would give Universal a couple of years to refine all their ideas and have a plan for a first phase ready to go. Problem is the getting to the point of building may take 2 -3 years. I'm sure this forum would know if Universal had started their premitting process.

Who knows but my opinion has always been Universal needs to fill up the land they have all the way. Still room to build remodel or change an unused attraction. Looks like they are out of hotel space, that has worked out great as far as I can see. Water park about to open, I think that was a great move as well. Now they just need to fill up the parks all the way. I would also like to see some later closing hours. Every time I've been in Universal it closed fairly early.
The delay of Fast & Furious is probably what's making you think this. Here's the current timeline:

Jimmy Fallon/Volcano Bay-2017
Fast & Furious-2018
???-2019
Nintendo-2020 (rumored)

Their stated goal was to have something new every year and it seems that they're keeping to it. There are plenty of different rumors of what could possibly happen in 2019. Dragon Challenge, Avengers, SLoP, any one of these could be it but there would be no need to announce the 2019 project until at least a year before it opens as per Universal's usual way of doing things. Nintendo is unusual since they probably pushed for an earlier announcement than Universal would've liked. Nintendo is most likely also the last large scale project for any of the existing parks before the third park but this isn't to say they won't still be replacing things. USF and IoA will be in a good position to continue to hold their own after this third park opens which the latest date I've seen given was a post by @WDW1974 that said 2023 which to me seems believable.
I have been told that folks have said that I said UNI will announce its 3rd O-Town park by the end of this year.

NOT TRUE!

Want to make sure we clear the air on that. There will be announcements coming about major developments (mostly hotel and attractions, but one that may surprise) done the line. But any third gate announcement, just saying 'we intend to build', is likely a few YEARS away. I could see a 2018 or 2019 announcement with an opening sometime around 2022 or 2023.

UNI has lots of plans, but they haven't been stupid in any of their moves in the last 6-7 years now. A move of this magnitude requires vision, effort, finances are resources.

And in a few weeks, all talk about building a major new resort in China will start turning from DIS to UNI. That is the priority. The second priority is adding thousands of hotel rooms to their inventory. Sorry UNI Wand Wavers, but it isn't opening a third gate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom