Doctor Strange at DHS!

SoManyWasps

Wow, coming from the movie to the meet and great video... The M&G is...um... underwhelming to say the least lol. Cut out the first 5 minutes up until the first real spell (the mists) and add one more actual spell or effect. Though I get the feeling things weren't working right in the video attractions magazine posted, maybe it will get better as bugs get worked out

There wasn't nearly enough going on to justify the length of the show. It feels like they tried to meld what makes the Jedi Academy so popular with the casual nature of the more accessible street entertainers who pop up at Hollywood Studios, and it really didn't work. They either should have gone all and created something closer to the scale of Jedi Academy (though I fully understand why they didn't go this route), or embraced a more casual style roving meet and greet with some slight of hand "spells" and a quicker run time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There wasn't nearly enough going on to justify the length of the show. It feels like they tried to meld what makes the Jedi Academy so popular with the casual nature of the more accessible street entertainers who pop up at Hollywood Studios, and it really didn't work. They either should have gone all and created something closer to the scale of Jedi Academy (though I fully understand why they didn't go this route), or embraced a more casual style roving meet and greet with some slight of hand "spells" and a quicker run time.

I think it would work better if they didn't do the book bit with each kid, just quickly select the kids and have them take their spots and then do the show with the whole ground.

SoManyWasps

I think it would work better if they didn't do the book bit with each kid, just quickly select the kids and have them take their spots and then do the show with the whole ground.
That would work much better. I think they could also do an alternate show that is just the book bit, skipping the part where pulls the kids up for the show, and instead just giving them their medallion and advising them to keep it visible, as it could be important to them later. Then instruct cast members at food and beverage carts/fastpass queues/merch shops to offer the kids who receive them a free mickey bar/extra fastpass/complimentary worthless trinket.

Matt_Black

I think you're confused. Those four pictures ARE from Islands of Adventure...

You're doing yourself a disservice with your IoA boycott. It's a great park and was primarily designed by ex-WDI employees.

It's not a boycott, I just don't want to go. Now, if someone were to PAY for me to go, yes, I'd go, what am I, stupid? But I am not going to fork over money because maybe I'll like it.

Matt_Black

Isn't that the reason for buying anything?

I've developed a distrust of people when they tell me how great something is and how I should avail myself of the goods or service. For instance, several years ago, a girl dumped. Many friends and acquaintances suggested I use OkCupid. I initially declined politely, citing my previous poor experiences with online dating. They pressed, saying it will work SO well and I'll get SO many dates.

What followed was the most humiliating and degrading experience of my entire life. When I voiced my displeasure, those who sold me on it scolded me, saying that I had unreasonable expectations.

So, I'm going to need a little more than just the good word of strangers on the internet before I plunk down several hundred dollars or more on Uni.

GiveMeTheMusic

I've developed a distrust of people when they tell me how great something is and how I should avail myself of the goods or service. For instance, several years ago, a girl dumped. Many friends and acquaintances suggested I use OkCupid. I initially declined politely, citing my previous poor experiences with online dating. They pressed, saying it will work SO well and I'll get SO many dates.

What followed was the most humiliating and degrading experience of my entire life. When I voiced my displeasure, those who sold me on it scolded me, saying that I had unreasonable expectations.

So, I'm going to need a little more than just the good word of strangers on the internet before I plunk down several hundred dollars or more on Uni.

Well first off, it sounds like your "friends" are a-holes.

If you are a theme park fan, then Uni is a must see. Spider-Man and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey are gold standard attractions that WDW hasn't even attempted to beat. IOA itself is gorgeous and was created at Disney levels of theming due to ex-Imagineers. Diagon Alley is currently the best themed "land" in the US. For theme park fans, UOR delivers in spades.

If you're a Disney fan, and not a theme park fan, you won't like UOR as there are no mouse ears, MagicBands or princesses. So if you know that you're really into Disney and that's why you like WDW, and the theme park aspect is tangential, save your money.

Cletus

Well first off, it sounds like your "friends" are a-holes.

If you are a theme park fan, then Uni is a must see. Spider-Man and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey are gold standard attractions that WDW hasn't even attempted to beat. IOA itself is gorgeous and was created at Disney levels of theming due to ex-Imagineers. Diagon Alley is currently the best themed "land" in the US. For theme park fans, UOR delivers in spades.

If you're a Disney fan, and not a theme park fan, you won't like UOR as there are no mouse ears, MagicBands or princesses. So if you know that you're really into Disney and that's why you like WDW, and the theme park aspect is tangential, save your money.
PERFECTLY stated! The Dude has no clue. It's his loss though.

Matt_Black

I'll make you guys a deal- they put in a Serenity/ Firefly ride, WITH a Mal Reynolds meet & greet outside, I'll go. Until then, let's save the Uni talk for the Uni section of the boards.

Goofyernmost

I went to see Dr. Strange tonight with my grandson. Both of us left wondering what we saw. A lot of effects and bright lights but very little that was comprehensive enough to really follow. I guess the story line was somewhat recognizable. The reasons why stuff was happening was at least guessable, but, the stuff leading up to it was just a mass of movement with no real reason for it to be happening. I understand at 68 why I would be bewildered but I certainly expected my 15 year old grandson to grasp what was happening. He didn't. It was an interesting movie strictly based on the action level, but, by the end it had reached the "isn't this done yet?" place in our minds.

RAXIP

Until they actually start using his name in the ads, the maps, or at least the times sign, I will refer to him as "Professor Weird".
Does the Times Guide count?
IMG_0064.PNG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom