Why Do So Many People Dislike the Dining Plan?

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Why do so many people not like the DDP? My family gets it every time we go, and I think it's great for what you get.

Also, why do some people think the DDP ruined Disney dining in general? Is it because the food prices are too high unless you're on the dining plan or something else?

brb1006

I think the hate might have to do with how Disney keeps on marketing the Disney Dinging Reservations as the most important part of your WDW vacation over the years.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Personally, I don't like it because my eating pattern doesn't match their meal pattern.

I think there are a number of people who believe, rightly or wrongly, that the profit margin on meals has been a factor in averaging out the cost, value and quality of meals. The thinking being, every restaurant has roughly the same boring offerings because they are restricted in what they can do by the total payment they receive from a DDP credit.

mousehockey37

Why do so many people not like the DDP? My family gets it every time we go, and I think it's great for what you get.

Also, why do some people think the DDP ruined Disney dining in general? Is it because the food prices are too high unless you're on the dining plan or something else?

That's your family. Every family is different. What makes economical sense for one, won't for another. A big thing with the dining plan is actually sitting down and figuring out how much you actually have to eat to come out ahead. For most, that means big sit down meals most/all of the time at big $$$ restaurants. A couple going on vacation and getting the DDP is not going to get the same $$ advantage that a family of 4 or 5 might get.

As for your second part, I think people have figured out over time that the DDP killed dining because Disney had to create meals to fit within $, $$, $$$, $$$$ price ranges. I could be very wrong, but the menus are set up that way to show what places are what level. I do believe that the prices, when paying OOP, are a little absurd, but I also remind myself that I'm in the #1 tourist destination in the world, so prices might just be a bit higher. That said, I do try to pick my meals accordingly and the weather plays a factor in that as well.

lazyboy97o

The Dining Plan is only worthwhile because of the perceived value. To make that work it has meant accelerating listed price increases and attempts at reducing costs. The end result is higher prices and lower quality for all but those for whom the program is structured.

Giving that so many people seem unable to actually eat the full amount of food available then it too is not really any sort of benefit to many who partake. By being a bundled solution that avoids individual transactions it is psychologically less taxing and therefore obscuring the poor monetary value.

rob0519

Because the Dining Plan allows Disney to jack up the prices they charge for food. By raising the prices, it makes the customer think they are getting a better deal by purchasing the dining plan. This way, you can have the most expensive thing on the menu or go to all the character meals because you've already paid for the plan. If that is not your style of dining, the plan isn't for you.

Bairstow

Because people don't realize that it's a pre paid dining plan, mainly for convenience, NOT a discount dining plan.

Exactly.
Unless you and your family have some very strange (over)eating habits, you're going to lose money on the dining plan every time.
I can see it being very handy for certain families or youth groups, but that convenience has never been an attraction for me, which is why I've never used it.

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
See, my family would/will never get desert if we go out to dinner normally, but with the Dinning Plan, desert is included so we get one because we can. We like that it gives us an excuse to eat more since that's part of the vacation for us.

Next question ... what are the benefits to not getting the DDP. Obviously you only pay for the food you actually want to eat, but let's say you ate 2 snacks, a CS lunch and a TS dinner, plus drinks and a desert at dinner, how much are you saving if you don't have the plan? Last time my family went we actually saved money with the Dining Plan (if we were to buy everything we ate at full price).

21stamps

Exactly.
Unless you and your family have some very strange (over)eating habits, you're going to lose money on the dining plan every time.
I can see it being very handy for certain families or youth groups, but that convenience has never been an attraction for me, which is why I've never used it.
I think it was "worth it" for us last year.. I actually probably would have came out ahead if I would have use my credits in a smart way. We had several character meals, and we do eat 1 snack per day. I didn't realize the QS credits could be used for an adult or child, and I didn't realize that u could use a credit for H&V dinner F! Package, so paid OOP for that. I ended up paying out of pocket for 3 table service meals, and room service twice, but I knew that going in.

I chose not to get it this time bc although we are still doing a few character meals, we are also doing- a CP dinner package, room service at least twice, at least one dessert party, a few meals at a lounge, and HOPEFULLY Garden View tea room.. On this trip it wouldn't be a "prepaid plan", it would just be throwing money away since most of what I listed either requires 2 credits or doesn't accept the dining plan.

disneyspirit

Exactly.
We got a free meal at Canada a couple of years ago for that reason, the couple next to us were leaving that night and had dining points they couldn't use. I haven't looked at the plans closely because we just have a late lunch at WDW every day, maybe a Mickey Ear ice cream, it's not worth me spending any time worrying about a plan. I do know we used to just walk up to a restaurant and be seated, maybe after a wait, when one year, blammo, everyone had a plan and if you hadn't made reservations months ago, you were out of luck. I could be wrong but I feel like that's the year they really started pushing the dining plans.

21stamps

See, my family would/will never get desert if we go out to dinner normally, but with the Dinning Plan, desert is included so we get one because we can. We like that it gives us an excuse to eat more since that's part of the vacation for us.

Next question ... what are the benefits to not getting the DDP. Obviously you only pay for the food you actually want to eat, but let's say you ate 2 snacks, a CS lunch and a TS dinner, plus drinks and a desert at dinner, how much are you saving if you don't have the plan? Last time my family went we actually saved money with the Dining Plan (if we were to buy everything we ate at full price).
I think it depends. I plan on eating at Trader Sam's, Mizner's (if normal menu), and the new champagne and wine lounge at GF for 2-3 meals. None of those accept the dining plan...and even if they did we wouldn't qualify bc we will order 2-3 appetizers to share as our meal.

I do like the whole pre paid aspect though, lessons the pain of retrieving and reading the final bill after it was slid under your hotel room door... ;)

SSH

We're the couple an earlier poster mentioned - we like to enjoy relaxing drinks, an app or two, entrees and espresso one day...a quick QS meal for dinner the next. We never get dessert. We'd take a big loss on the plan - even if it was free. We still do better with room-only discounts.

Last edited:

21stamps

We're the couple an earlier poster mentioned - we like to enjoy relaxing drinks, an app or two, entrees and expresso one day...a quick QS meal for dinner the next. We never get dessert. We'd take a big loss on the plan - even if it was free. We still do better with room-only discounts.
Oh if this was free dining vs room only discount I would choose room only 100% of the time!!

Last year I did a room only and paid for the DDP. Still came out over $1100 better than if I would have taken the Free Dining offer. There's no way that the DDP is worth choosing over a 30% discount! (For us- 2 people).

ninjaprincesst

Oh if this was free dining vs room only discount I would choose room only 100% of the time!!

Last year I did a room only and paid for the DDP. Still came out over $1100 better than if I would have taken the Free Dining offer. There's no way that the DDP is worth choosing over a 30% discount! (For us- 2 people).
I would always choose free dining . The only way the room discount is better is if your staying in a deluxe and you just have a couple of people in your party. We always have four to five people, and a daughter who although too old still wants to do tons of character meals so the savings always comes out better for us with free dining.

parkhopper1213

We had the quick service dining plan once and that was enough. Our whole trip revolved around trying to use our food points. We ate way more than we wanted to. The only upside is that we did order the more expensive menu options.

ninjaprincesst

I'm sure it's dependent on the party. My main thing is- the room discount alone is @ $200 or more per night..that definitely more than pays for our dining, Plus- the tickets. I don't need or wish to pay for the WP&M option.
I wish I could afford the hotels where 30% would be $200 but I'm lucky to be able to afford WL and AKL

21stamps

@ninjaprincesst
We are staying at WL in December and I'm very excited!! I think WL and AKL look gorgeous in photos, also I'm super impressed with the daily resort activities listed for AKL.

As soon as my son is a little older, and we can open and close the parks, we won't be doing trips solely (or mostly) at the monorail resorts. In my perfect world we would do a few days on the monorail and a few days on the boardwalk- planning park days accordingly. Right now the distance and convenience to MK is a life saver for me.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The reimbursement rate for each meal has sapped quality. Now if they removed the Carte Blanche encompassing the whole menu and limited it to a reasonable selection that was sustainable , most of those concerns would dissipate while still keeping seats filled. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul as in figuring out the imputed spend per customer across a package of options and bundling them .

Of course it's quite personal and one size doesn't fit everyone. We've gone several two week plus trips with TS for every meal every day (out of pocket of course) and by the start of the second week cried uncle as food lost its attraction to us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom