"Digital Fastpass" coming to DLR next month

• Thread starter Deleted member 107043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107043

Original Poster
There was an article somewhere, and I may try to find it, where Iger stated that the next iteration of MM+ would be applied via mobile devices rather than wristbands.

Here's the article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...-disney-magicbands-phones-20160408-story.html

"Because technology keeps moving onward and improving, we're looking at all different ways to expand the program, both in Orlando and our other parks around the world," Iger said at last month's shareholder meeting. "It won't necessarily be through physical MagicBands, since mobile technology and personal mobile devices can offer a lot of the functionality that a lot of the bands we created offer."

The article goes on to confirm what @GiveMeTheMusic said about the expensive cost of Magic Bands and associated infrastructure. So then, technically speaking, the "digital Fastpasses" coming to DLR is a step forward in the evolving MM+ program.

One more thing: http://www.behindthethrills.com/2016/08/disney-to-phase-out-magic-bands/

Here’s something else to chew on-Walt Disney World is currently the only Disney park with Magic Bands. This new tech could not be meant for WDW at all, but Disneyland. Disneyland has been actively testing new RFID technology in the parks, and the new bands could become exclusive to that park.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

Part of this plan is to add FP to a number of attractions that don't currently offer it - like TSMM, Pirates, Matterhorn, etc.

It will likely be a crowding disaster, just as it was in the past.

Then why would they do this if it was such a disaster last time? I get that the more people walking around the more they are spending. But there has to be something said for a happy guest and customer satisfaction.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Im excited for this change. No more having to run around for FPs only enhances guest experience. The few times that I do go to the park early as an AP alaways felt like work. Walk over to DCA, get RSR Fastpass and WOC fast pass. Then run over to Disneyland and get Space Mountain FP. With a big group, it was especially a pain.

My only hope is that you can only book FPs same day. I really don't want to set a reminder to book a Space mountain FP 20 days out so I can get a reservation. I can see how they would want to add early FP booking as a perk for hotel guests but if they did this i imagine the whole system would fail.

On another note, I don't understand why thy need to add FP attractions to the current roster of FP attractions?Is it because the demand will go up with FPs being so easily obtained through the app?

mickEblu

Well according to Disney MM+ has increased guest satisfaction and guest spending at WDW.

I don't doubt that. I was referring to the issue of overcrowding in the walk ways that happened at Disneyland when their were too many attractions that offered FP. I never experienced it myself but if it was as bad as everyone says, then I would imagine they were aware and have a solution this time around.

With crowding as bad as it is I can't imagine them implementing a system that they know for certain would make crowding worse. Especially with SWL and Marvel land coming.

Darkbeer1

Here is one thought, and it is just a thought of mine...

Star Wars Land attractions (all 2 of them) sounds to have not the best capacity per hour.

You allow the 3 (and 4 when the new Hotel is added) Disney owned Hotels an early opportunity to book the FP's, and then you have most of them gone before anyone else can book them.

Maybe add an option that allows a guests to pay an additional fee to get early booking for FP's.

Of course, limit one person one FP per attraction per day, but still, you have Star Wars Land with basically attractions that are already spoken for before most guests, including locals/AP holders even have a chance to tryand get one.

Not sure if this will be a good thing...

But as they say, only time will tell.

VJ

Grumpy locals and their knee-jerk negative reactions about "Disney destroying Walt's legacy" are going to be unavoidable no matter what they do. As someone who visits the resort as a tourist anything they can offer to streamline the experience would be welcomed by me.
Everyone knows that Walt personally developed the FastPass system himself and any deviation from this original concept means he'll be rolling in his grave for all eternity. I should know! I rode the Matterhorn with him on July 17, 1955!

BrianLo

Fast pass only works for medium capacity attractions. The people eaters like PoTC it pointlessly inflates lines. The low capacity like TSMM, Matterhorn or Pan it exacerbates an already overwhelming demand and drives standby through the roof.

Selfishly I kind of wish there was FP at TSMM/Pan/Matterhorn as I always find those three very problematic to get on with my general refusal to wait more than 15-20 min for attractions. But I know it's gonna be a bit of a mad house.

The other nagging question I have - I assume you have to physically have had your ticket scanned and entered the park in order to use a digital system. If people can start snagging day of FP from home it will be a huge problem for the Anaheim market. How does day-of work at WDW?

GiveMeTheMusic

Fast pass only works for medium capacity attractions. The people eaters like PoTC it pointlessly inflates lines. The low capacity like TSMM, Matterhorn or Pan it exacerbates an already overwhelming demand and drives standby through the roof.

Selfishly I kind of wish there was FP at TSMM/Pan/Matterhorn as I always find those three very problematic to get on with my general refusal to wait more than 15-20 min for attractions. But I know it's gonna be a bit of a mad house.

The other nagging question I have - I assume you have to physically have had your ticket scanned and entered the park in order to use a digital system. If people can start snagging day of FP from home it will be a huge problem for the Anaheim market. How does day-of work at WDW?

I would imagine the app would require you to be within the park (it would know because of GPS) to reserve an FP. WDW does not require you be in a park to make a FP reservation, but this will be a totally different system.

TP2000

I'm all for a digital FP option, but I think there aren't enough people around TDA who remember what a disaster FP was at the turn of the millennium when it was added to everything. So they'll learn the hard way.

That's terrifying. A recent Miceage Update said about as much, but you would think there was someone left who still remembers 2002.

This time, when the same thing happens during Christmastime 2017, they should write it all down on stone tablets and leave them in the TDA lobby for future generations.

drizgirl

Same Fast Pass allocation, queue length will not be affected. The only difference will be that there will be no need to have a "Runner" any more and there will be less back tracking around the park.

The other difference is that the available fastpasses will disappear much sooner than before. The easier it is to get one, the faster they go.

drizgirl

At WDW, you only need ticket media and can book 60 days out for an onsite stay, 30 days out for anyone else with a ticket. The hottest ticket items are gone before the 30 day people even get a shot at it.

I have not seen confirmation that you have to be physically in the park with a ticket scanned to access a fastpass on this new system. I think a lot of people are hoping that's the case (myself included) but I'll feel better when I see confirmation.

Something else to consider. I think it's highly probable that a digital system will close the loophole of being able to hold fastpasses in 2 parks at once. Someone upthread commented that it felt like work running from one park to another to pick up their ticket. I think it's highly likely this system will solve that, although not in the way they prefer. If you prefer a system where you don't want to have to run from park to park then just stop running from park to park. Because I think that's what you're going to get anyway.

mickEblu

At WDW, you only need ticket media and can book 60 days out for an onsite stay, 30 days out for anyone else with a ticket. The hottest ticket items are gone before the 30 day people even get a shot at it.

I have not seen confirmation that you have to be physically in the park with a ticket scanned to access a fastpass on this new system. I think a lot of people are hoping that's the case (myself included) but I'll feel better when I see confirmation.

Something else to consider. I think it's highly probable that a digital system will close the loophole of being able to hold fastpasses in 2 parks at once. Someone upthread commented that it felt like work running from one park to another to pick up their ticket. I think it's highly likely this system will solve that, although not in the way they prefer. If you prefer a system where you don't want to have to run from park to park then just stop running from park to park. Because I think that's what you're going to get anyway.

Thanks for the tip. You're right. When I take people who go to Disneyland on a one day trip, once every few years or less, Ill be sure to tell them if they want to ride RSR or Space Mountain, that they have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn or wait 4 hours to ride both. Leaving 6 hours for the rest of the 2 parks.

On a non sarcastic note, I think you re wrong. I think you will still be able to have 2 FPs at once , one per park. What im hoping, is that you won't have to be inside a specific park to reserve a FP for an attraction in that park. That would make the app not as convenient but it
still would be better to just walk into Buena Vista Street and reserve an FP than all the way to RSR or TOT. That could create some crowding at park entrances though.

I think if they can find the right balance of attractions offering FP with the digital system, guest satisfaction will go up ( no unnecessary running around )without having to rely on your smartphone much more than you do now ( most folks are already staring at the app often to check Wait times and FP availability.)

Last edited:

drizgirl

Thanks for the tip. You're right. When I take people who go to Disneyland on a one day trip, once every few years or less, Ill be sure to tell them if they want to ride RSR or Space Mountain, that they have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn or wait 4 hours to ride both. Leaving 6 hours for the rest of the 2 parks.

On a non sarcastic note, I think you re wrong. I think you will still be able to have 2 FPs at once , one per park. What im hoping, is that you won't have to be inside a specific park to reserve a FP for an attraction in that park. That would make the app not as convenient but it
still would be better to just walk into Buena Vista Street and reserve an FP than all the way to RSR or TOT. That could create some crowding at park entrances though.

I think if they can find the right balance of attractions offering FP with the digital system, guest satisfaction will go up ( no unnecessary running around )without having to rely on your smartphone much more than you do now ( most folks are already staring at the app often to check Wait times and FP availability.)

The other alternative would be to tell your friends coming from out of town to adjust their expectations so they aren't disappointed if they miss the one or two hottest rides. There are an awful lot of guests "adjusting expectations" for their WDW trips since the addition of FP+.

I really hope the electronic version is more like legacy than like FP+. But honestly, even just making the current system electronic will create issues for availability. The easier you make it to access, the more people will use it.

I hope it still allows holding FPs for both parks. But there's certainly no guarantee of that. Maybe it will "only" require that you physically go into that other park to get your electronic FP, but that's not a lot better than the way it is now.

mickEblu

The other alternative would be to tell your friends coming from out of town to adjust their expectations so they aren't disappointed if they miss the one or two hottest rides. There are an awful lot of guests "adjusting expectations" for their WDW trips since the addition of FP+.

I'm too much of a people pleaser to do that. If the net result of this change is that guests have to adjust their expectations, that is a big fail. I don't expect them to have to though, so long as you have to physically be at the park and can only book FPs same day.

Californian Elitist

Part of this plan is to add FP to a number of attractions that don't currently offer it - like TSMM, Pirates, Matterhorn, etc.

It will likely be a crowding disaster, just as it was in the past.

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard this week. Pirates certainly doesn't need an FP option because the line continuously moves at a nice speed due to high capacity. The others don't need them either.

When will Disney realize FPs makes wait times longer?

drizgirl

I'm too much of a people pleaser to do that. If the net result of this change is that guests have to adjust their expectations, that is a big fail. I don't expect them to have to though, so long as you have to physically be at the park and can only book FPs same day.

No doubt those 2 things would definitely be a huge improvement over what is offered at WDW.

Fingers crossed this pans out ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom