Sea World can not survive on it's own.

21stamps

Yes I certainly do.
Really? Wow. I thought you would say something about dogs being domestic animals, etc.. So I am quite shocked at that.

What if every zoo, aquarium, research center, etc was closed? Do you think that would have an impact on donations, involvement, awareness, career choices, volunteering, and rescue missions?

No Name

Really? Wow. I thought you would say something about dogs being domestic animals, etc.. So I am quite shocked at that.

What if every zoo, aquarium, research center, etc was closed? Do you think that would have an impact on donations, involvement, awareness, career choices, volunteering, and rescue missions?

It's a catch 22. My first and only trip to SeaWorld is actually what really turned me against animals in captivity, especially against animals performing in captivity. I guess it's partially because the shows felt so unnatural, but something clicked inside of me, and I began to very much dislike what SeaWorld (the park) was doing. SeaWorld helped my appreciation and love of animals to grow. They taught me by being the bad example. If I hadn't been disturbed by SeaWorld, you would not be reading this point.

I'd be almost content if all capturing and killing of endangered animals were to stop completely. SeaWorld isn't doing much direct harm to wildlife right now, since I believe they no longer take animals (endangered ones, at least) from the ocean. But how do you stop hunting/capturing of these animals in other countries? SeaWorld-esque parks show no signs of decline in China, and neither do their harmful means of getting animals. I think, if SeaWorld were to successfully change their business model, they could become the leader, the example for parks all the way down to zoos and aquariums and even pet owners around the world. It's like when one country would get rid of slavery... eventually the neighboring ones would follow by example, and in the long run, equality would be (perhaps will someday be) fully reached.

And you make a good point, if every zoo, aquarium, marine park, etc. closed, where would people learn to appreciate wildlife? I think Rivers of Light is a step in the right direction in this regard. Treks through very "natural" places like Africa, while not as accessible, are typically far more powerful experiences than zoos. Videos and shows of such places are also good. And I don't believe that some very high appreciation for wildlife is being exhibited today, to begin with. But I do agree that at least some educational value may be lost.

It's a tricky message when you're holding certain animals in captivity and making money off of their lives, but using part of that money to help other animals. I may be totally off on how things should play out. But in the end, I'm a bigger fan of leading by good example rather than by bad example. I admit that I don't have a solid idea of how that conversion should happen, but I like to at least see progress.

That's my logic. Hope it makes a bit of sense.

epcotisbest

It's a catch 22. My first and only trip to SeaWorld is actually what really turned me against animals in captivity, especially against animals performing in captivity. I guess it's partially because the shows felt so unnatural, but something clicked inside of me, and I began to very much dislike what SeaWorld (the park) was doing. SeaWorld helped my appreciation and love of animals to grow. They taught me by being the bad example. If I hadn't been disturbed by SeaWorld, you would not be reading this point.

I'd be almost content if all capturing and killing of endangered animals were to stop completely. SeaWorld isn't doing much direct harm to wildlife right now, since I believe they no longer take animals (endangered ones, at least) from the ocean. But how do you stop hunting/capturing of these animals in other countries? SeaWorld-esque parks show no signs of decline in China, and neither do their harmful means of getting animals. I think, if SeaWorld were to successfully change their business model, they could become the leader, the example for parks all the way down to zoos and aquariums and even pet owners around the world. It's like when one country would get rid of slavery... eventually the neighboring ones would follow by example, and in the long run, equality would be (perhaps will someday be) fully reached.

And you make a good point, if every zoo, aquarium, marine park, etc. closed, where would people learn to appreciate wildlife? I think Rivers of Light is a step in the right direction in this regard. Treks through very "natural" places like Africa, while not as accessible, are typically far more powerful experiences than zoos. Videos and shows of such places are also good. And I don't believe that some very high appreciation for wildlife is being exhibited today, to begin with. But I do agree that at least some educational value may be lost.

It's a tricky message when you're holding certain animals in captivity and making money off of their lives, but using part of that money to help other animals. I may be totally off on how things should play out. But in the end, I'm a bigger fan of leading by good example rather than by bad example. I admit that I don't have a solid idea of how that conversion should happen, but I like to at least see progress.

https://seaworldcares.com/our-work/

matt78

I think this is wishful thinking on your part. Places like SeaWorld are still new to China. If SeaWorld was going to be an example for these places then they wouldn't be getting their animals from the ocean since SeaWorld stopped this practice back in the 70's. With the ending of SeaWorld's breeding program the only way these parks have a way of acquiring animals is through the wild captures.

Also there are still times when capturing animals should be okay. I saw a video earlier this week where Washington state is going to kill off a pack of endangered gray wolves because they have been killing livestock. I would think that capturing the young and putting them in zoos would be better then killing them off.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

"What we see with our eyes, we treasure in our hearts."
-
KilimanjaroSafaris31.jpg

Tom Morrow

That's exactly why this whole thing is maddening. Should animal shows probably be ended? Sure, but 1. the situation SeaWorld has is much more complicated than "end the shows, release the whales", and 2. there are so, SO many bigger issues to rally behind but nobody cares about those, only what the media tells them to care about.

21stamps

That's exactly why this whole thing is maddening. Should animal shows probably be ended? Sure, but 1. the situation SeaWorld has is much more complicated than "end the shows, release the whales", and 2. there are so, SO many bigger issues to rally behind but nobody cares about those, only what the media tells them to care about.

Answer is the same as above- Our society as a whole is a living breathing contradiction.

We truly are.

Fact is- Humans are strange. They are also easily lead down whatever path seems like the 'thing to do' at the time.

I think I said this earlier in the thread- Typically the loudest of the protesters are the ones who actually do nothing for the cause they are hashtagging.

Ask them to answer a question that is outside of a canned PETA reponse and they're at a loss.

21stamps

I'd like to see what PETA said about the capture and killing of that alligator in the lake by GF.

All 'problem' gators are euthanized. They'd have to take that issue with the State. I don't think PETA would get far with that one..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom