News Yacht Club Convention Center Expansion

TarzanRocked99-

I guess I'm both surprised and not surprised by this. Both DVC and the convention businesses are highly lucrative, but I guess Disney sees more money from DVC. But are they forgetting about all the ancillary income that comes with conventioneers and their families? Or that they may be getting to a point of hitting the limit of people that will buy in to DVC?

I also don't see them ever getting rid of the GF convention center, primarily due to the amount of wedding events as well as companies who want to have their convention (and lodging) in the perceived "best" resort on property, but the way this company runs today, it seems like anything is possible.
Nothing is final on the Grand Flo, just Contemporary for now. They need to get the total sq footage roughly the same for groups at Y&B so they can relocate any groups currently on the books. Plus with the Epcot World collection package on that part of the property is a much more lucrative group package than the one off's over at Contemporary and Grand Flo.

WDW95

Oh, please NO - it would kill the view from the Contemporary Tower, and regardless isn't one DVC tower which is an abomination of architectural design enough?
I actually think it could look better with a third tower. Objects in groups of 3 always look better than just 2 as it is right now. It could really look like a futuristic "city" as opposed to now where it seems like BLT is obviously an after thought.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Though I do have to admit the garden wing has its own charm that isn't found in WDW anymore and it would be sad to lose it. However right now the Contemporary master plan is a mess with no overall vision of the three distinct elements of BLT, the A-Frame, and the Garden Wing.

Hopefully they get Gwathmey Siegel again. It's the least Disney can do if their convention center they designed will be demolished.

Biff215

I actually think it could look better with a third tower. Objects in groups of 3 always look better than just 2 as it is right now. It could really look like a futuristic "city" as opposed to now where it seems like BLT is obviously an after thought.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Though I do have to admit the garden wing has its own charm that isn't found in WDW anymore and it would be sad to lose it. However right now the Contemporary master plan is a mess with no overall vision of the three distinct elements of BLT, the A-Frame, and the Garden Wing.

Hopefully they get Gwathmey Siegel again. It's the least Disney can do if their convention center they designed will be demolished.
But how does the convention center affect this? I think the concern is they might build more DVC right in front of the original tower (where the CC is currently).

I agree that the other garden wing would be better placement if they really have to build more. Although I wonder if the water bridge on that side might restrict this.

Minthorne

Oh, please NO - it would kill the view from the Contemporary Tower, and regardless isn't one DVC tower which is an abomination of architectural design enough?
I hate to disagree but I happen to like the BLT design. I aslo can't envosion how it effect is the "toaster's" (Contemporat's) line of sight to the MK. I recognize it is a fringe school in a sense, but color me orange - I'm new and on the outside. That said - I do see where your opinion comes from - I'm just "out there" man.

Disone

But how does the convention center affect this? I think the concern is they might build more DVC right in front of the original tower (where the CC is currently).

I agree that the other garden wing would be better placement if they really have to build more. Although I wonder if the water bridge on that side might restrict this.

The convention center is not directly in front of the A frame. If you build a new tower where the convention center is now, it would not obstruct views of the Magic Kingdom from the original A frame, and the new tower would have its own non obstructed views of the Magic Kingdom. However if you build it where the current South Garden Wing is, the A frame would clearly block the MK views of the new tower.

DinoInstitute

How is it an abomination of architectural design at all? I think it looks really nice, and matches the contemporary very well.

mgpan

Wonder if the larger convention organizations were demanding this. Planning smaller conferences/conventions, i know how competitive things can be for conventions, and how important the revenue stream they generate is.

On a different note, my kids were quite bummed when we discussed the fact that before our upcoming trip, the Sum of All Thrills was closing, Jungle Book nighttime show and MSEP were ending with no replacement in place, there would be earlier closing hours, etc.

Then this bit of news. You should of just seen their little faces light up when i told them on the bright side there would be potentially more DVC and that the Yacht Club was adding convention space, priceless.

Daveeeeed

Wonder if the larger convention organizations were demanding this. Planning smaller conferences/conventions, i know how competitive things can be for conventions, and how important the revenue stream they generate is.

On a different note, my kids were quite bummed when we discussed the fact that before our upcoming trip, the Sum of All Thrills was closing, Jungle Book nighttime show and MSEP were ending with no replacement in place, there would be earlier closing hours, etc.

Then this bit of news. You should of just seen their little faces light up when i told them on the bright side there would be potentially more DVC and that the Yacht Club was adding convention space, priceless.
Jungle book, not a loss even if there is no replacement, but especially that Rivers of Light is replacing it. Sum of All Thrills was never meant to be permanent, and I rode it in January and I was shocked at how bad it was. MSEP is truly sad, but it may be replaced by something next year.

Biff215

Jungle book, not a loss even if there is no replacement, but especially that Rivers of Light is replacing it. Sum of All Thrills was never meant to be permanent, and I rode it in January and I was shocked at how bad it was. MSEP is truly sad, but it may be replaced by something next year.
There are plenty of other lackluster attractions throughout the parks, but does that mean we shouldn't care if they close them all, possibly with no replacement?

For example, many wouldn't lose sleep if the Swiss Family treehouse was shut down, yet it's still a loss for those who do enjoy it as well as for the park itself.

I agree it's time for MSEP, but it's still better than nothing, which might be what we get, even just in the short term. Meanwhile WDW execs get excited about the labor savings in these closures.

Biff215

The convention center is not directly in front of the A frame. If you build a new tower where the convention center is now, it would not obstruct views of the Magic Kingdom from the original A frame, and the new tower would have its own non obstructed views of the Magic Kingdom. However if you build it where the current South Garden Wing is, the A frame would clearly block the MK views of the new tower.
No, not directly when looking from MK, but it does cover about a third of the tower when looked at head on from the lagoon. They would have to get very creative if they were going to build there without affecting the original tower, especially assuming they would be building significantly taller than the convention center.

While MK views might be the main selling point, I'm sure guests wouldn't be real happy looking to their left and seeing another balcony instead of the lagoon. BLT's placement doesn't cause this issue. I guess time will tell if that is even on the table, but I have my doubts.

Daveeeeed

There are plenty of other lackluster attractions throughout the parks, but does that mean we shouldn't care if they close them all, possibly with no replacement?

For example, many wouldn't lose sleep if the Swiss Family treehouse was shut down, yet it's still a loss for those who do enjoy it as well as for the park itself.

I agree it's time for MSEP, but it's still better than nothing, which might be what we get, even just in the short term. Meanwhile WDW execs get excited about the labor savings in these closures.
I meant about MSEP closing. I love that parade with a passion.

Disone

No, not directly when looking from MK, but it does cover about a third of the tower when looked at head on from the lagoon. They would have to get very creative if they were going to build there without affecting the original tower, especially assuming they would be building significantly taller than the convention center.

While MK views might be the main selling point, I'm sure guests wouldn't be real happy looking to their left and seeing another balcony instead of the lagoon. BLT's placement doesn't cause this issue. I guess time will tell if that is even on the table, but I have my doubts.
The hypothetical tower does not need to where the front in the convention center currently does. Nor do i think it would. The convention center is fairly large and including its back of the house facilities, there's plenty of room to set said tower a bit south.

Biff215

image.png
The hypothetical tower does not need to where the front in the convention center currently does. Nor do i think it would. The convention center is fairly large and including its back of the house facilities, there's plenty of room to set said tower a bit south.
Not sure if it's plenty, but I see what you're saying. I just believe it would still significantly affect the original tower since it sits toward the front unlike BLT. I also wonder if the monorail and other facilities can handle the added guests since this wouldn't replace existing rooms.

Back to YC, I assume they would need to either move the BC bus stop or reroute it as the buses currently travel through that area and I'd think they will physically connect the new space with the existing space. As a frequent guest of BC who sometimes rents a car, I am concerned at how this may affect the resort overall.

asianway

BLT has the same issue, when you look left you see the tower

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom