Sea World can not survive on it's own.

seascape

Original Poster
Based on the quarterly numbers, it is clear that Sea World can not survive on it's own any longer. The only question is who should save them.

Universal is no longer in the position to do this or even want them. They made their decision months ago by purchasing their additional land. They have their own plans and so they will not be the ones.

Six Flags and Cedar Fair are two possibilities but neither of them actually have the resources needed to achieve success.

That leaves it up to Disney. It is clear that if Disney stepped up, Sea World Orlando would see a massive increase in attendance. Just adding a $10.00 a day marginal ticket price from WDW tourists and food sales would bring in millions more per year and save them. I am not sure why Disney would do this but there is no long term possibility of Sea World surviving on its own. It's just too late. If you want to save what was once a great park there is only one company left. We can't let Wanda Group or some other company from a country that does not care about animals take Sea World over.

kap91

Well based on what I know of their future plans I wouldn't be so quick to write them off. It'll depend how long they're able to weather the slump but if they can the long term plans are definitely attractive and sustainable.

Aqueeta

Well based on what I know of their future plans I wouldn't be so quick to write them off. It'll depend how long they're able to weather the slump but if they can the long term plans are definitely attractive and sustainable.
What future plans, the big fish tanks? Those things will never be built given their expense and the way things have been going for SW. This is all such a shame because we really liked the interaction between the whales and the trainers before "the accident" gave the government an opening to discriminate against SW.

kap91

What future plans, the big fish tanks? Those things will never be built given their expense and the way things have been going for SW. This is all such a shame because we really liked the interaction between the whales and the trainers before "the accident" gave the government an opening to discriminate against SW.
No there's several rides and ideas being worked on currently.

SorcererMC

Qtly numbers down based on lower visitation -8% overall, due to Orlando park. Brazilian tourist attendance to Orlando park was down 40% year-to-date, or 235,000 guests. (Nightly Business Report and TampaBay; I didn't check the earnings report itself).

Last edited:

raven

Said this many times. They are in a transition. They are moving away from the shows and more towards themed rides.

The decline in the stock today (Around 14%?) was because of the attendance drop from the Orlando shooting on top of a slow season.
Indeed. Not just the parks in Orlando are slower this season but tourism in general. Even resorts are seeing lower numbers than usual. People are afraid to travel I guess with all the current craziness going on everywhere.

Tom Morrow

I support SeaWorld, but they sure don't do themselves any favors by having worse service than even Six Flags parks. You can't operate like that in Disney and Universal's backyard.

njDizFan

SeaWorld doomed itself when they gave in to the radical animal rights activist and killed the whale show. The weak never survive.
By using the words "radical" or "extremists" is an easy way to marginalize millions of other peoples opinions, even a large percentage of the scientific community. It's not "radical" to suggest that large, very intelligent cetacians do not do well in captivity and maybe it's time for them to stop breading them for purposes of entertainment. I think it's a huge gray area when discussing the caging of any wild animal in a zoo like atmosphere.

I do not have any problem with people patronizing SeaWorld, I personally choose to go elsewhere based upon my opinion.

The weak can survive if they are intelligent enough to adapt.

seascape

Original Poster
I support SeaWorld, but they sure don't do themselves any favors by having worse service than even Six Flags parks. You can't operate like that in Disney and Universal's backyard.
They are dieing and the only solution for their survival is Disney. They already have the Orlando ticket plan which allows them to ride on Universals back and that does not work. Disney could double their Orlando attendance over night by including them in their passes. I don't think Disney would benefit as much as Orlando would or Sea World fans but what does Sea World Offer Universal because there is no way Universal would automatically increase Sea Worlds attendance and without a major jump its over.

Crazydisneyfanluke

They are dieing and the only solution for their survival is Disney. They already have the Orlando ticket plan which allows them to ride on Universals back and that does not work. Disney could double their Orlando attendance over night by including them in their passes. I don't think Disney would benefit as much as Orlando would or Sea World fans but what does Sea World Offer Universal because there is no way Universal would automatically increase Sea Worlds attendance and without a major jump its over.
Disney isnt always the answer. They are changing their image which will take years to do. Short-term, they have festivals to draw in locals.

seascape

Original Poster
what is the solution if it's not Disney. Wanda Group? Who wants China to own Sea World? Neither Six Flags nor Cedar Fair have the resources to put into the company that is needed. Universal already has a ticket deal with Sea World and its clearly not helping Sea World and I doubt it helps Universal that much. It may actually be costing them money.

Sea World needs help. I am a stock holder, a small one but still have held on because I love the company and Orlando. I want them to survive but can't see them as an independent company. I also own Six Flags, Cedar Fair and Disney stock. I would own Comcast but I am not allowed to own a cable company's stock.

Crazydisneyfanluke

what is the solution if it's not Disney. Wanda Group? Who wants China to own Sea World? Neither Six Flags nor Cedar Fair have the resources to put into the company that is needed. Universal already has a ticket deal with Sea World and its clearly not helping Sea World and I doubt it helps Universal that much. It may actually be costing them money.

Sea World needs help. I am a stock holder, a small one but still have held on because I love the company and Orlando. I want them to survive but can't see them as an independent company. I also own Six Flags, Cedar Fair and Disney stock. I would own Comcast but I am not allowed to own a cable company's stock.
How about its there mess, they sort it out themselves?
Before:
They didn't react quick enough for black fish, the damage is done.
They let the parks decay.
Now:
They are investing in the parks and are fixing their mess.

The only help Seaworld needs is a positive image boost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom