The Lillie Belle is home

Monorail_Orange

VERY excited to hear the Lillie Belle is back home. Here's to hoping she's got at least another 40 years, along with the Disney locos and Roger Broggie. I also recall hearing the Walter E would be next for full restoration. Glad to see these things are happening. Those 4 WDW locomotives, along with the 5 in DLR are truly living pieces of history.

SteamboatJoe

DLRR is closed through March, 2017 to accommodate construction for Star Wars. It should reopen in April. There's no track back there while construction is underway.

Has there been any confirmation from Disney in regards to when the attractions which have been temporarily closed will be back up and running? The wife and I are planning a 2017 Disney trip (probably the last one before we start a family and take a hiatus for a few years). Neither one of us have ever been to DL but we were leaning WDW because of all the closures at DL being caused by SWL. Given that we live in the east, we may only get out to DL one time in our lives and I would not want to miss out on all of the currently closed attractions. If I knew they were going to be open in April or May of 2017, I could see us potentially doing DL as missing SWL would not be a deal breaker for either of us.

articos

Has there been any confirmation from Disney in regards to when the attractions which have been temporarily closed will be back up and running? The wife and I are planning a 2017 Disney trip (probably the last one before we start a family and take a hiatus for a few years). Neither one of us have ever been to DL but we were leaning WDW because of all the closures at DL being caused by SWL. Given that we live in the east, we may only get out to DL one time in our lives and I would not want to miss out on all of the currently closed attractions. If I knew they were going to be open in April or May of 2017, I could see us potentially doing DL as missing SWL would not be a deal breaker for either of us.
The reopenings of the river attractions, Tom Sawyer's Island and DLRR are at the mercy of the construction schedules. Currently, the attractions affected are scheduled to come back in early April of 2017. There is some padding in the construction schedule, to give extra time, but delays do happen. I think if you do want to go to DL and experience the full park without SW being open, you should be safe in late April or May, but I'd keep an eye on the forums to see what's happening. If you want to see the new Guardians overlay at DCA, you would want to wait until July. The only other question mark is what attractions may be down for normal maintenance you may want to see. Make sure Pirates is operational and Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Splash and Space. If Fantasmic is important to you, check Fantasmic's schedule also. The majority of the attractions affected by SW construction should be back in April though, if everything goes to schedule.

asianway

The reopenings of the river attractions, Tom Sawyer's Island and DLRR are at the mercy of the construction schedules. Currently, the attractions affected are scheduled to come back in early April of 2017. There is some padding in the construction schedule, to give extra time, but delays do happen. I think if you do want to go to DL and experience the full park without SW being open, you should be safe in late April or May, but I'd keep an eye on the forums to see what's happening. If you want to see the new Guardians overlay at DCA, you would want to wait until July. The only other question mark is what attractions may be down for normal maintenance you may want to see. Make sure Pirates is operational and Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, Splash and Space. If Fantasmic is important to you, check Fantasmic's schedule also. The majority of the attractions affected by SW construction should be back in April though, if everything goes to schedule.
Fant is going to be down even longer, rehearsals etc into July August

RainbowCrow

In addition to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society does steam restoration and servicing. So that may be another option.

Captain Barbossa

Yep. Once they started taking her all apart, all kinds of new issues were found. Many of the parts were completely rebuilt. Which is why it took so long.
I'm glad that after all these years she's finally back. A little surprise that they didn't take her to tweetsie seeing that that's where they taken them before and the fact it is a narrow gauge RR but overall I'm excited and can't wait to see her.

Seabasealpha1

Hopefully going to hit DL in October of '17. Where the railroad is concerned, I'm most excited about that new trestle. Looks great in the concept art!

Disney-Trains

In addition to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society does steam restoration and servicing. So that may be another option.

Ft. Wayne does not have a complete steam shop, nor have they done any major contract work that I am aware of.

Tennessee Valley does have a complete shop, but they've never rebuilt an entire locomotive as a contract job, nor do they have any 36" gauge track. They do major steam locomtive whwel repairs as a contract work though.

Strasburg is, in my opinion, the absolulte best choice. Their operation is second to none. The fact that Lily Belle had more issues than originally thought is not Strasburgs fault.

Most railroad museums that are capable of this type of work, are pretty busy with their own equipment.

FigmentFan3

Strasburg is, in my opinion, the absolulte best choice. Their operation is second to none. The fact that Lily Belle had more issues than originally thought is not Strasburgs fault.
I visited Strasburg many times growing up and it really is the penultimate in rail. I also remember speaking with a WDWRR engineer about 7 years ago and he assured me that the Lily Belle was in good hands, and also that about the only thing holding her together at the time was the paint. Glad she's back.

Bigart

On Sunday I was told by a WDWRR Main St Ops coordinator that now the plan is to try to have Lilly running on the line by mid-September in order to:
1. Allow release of the next Loco for refurb (Originally Walt, but now possibly Roger first)
2. Have Lilly on the rails for the 45th Anniv by Oct 1.
Time will tell. I am not holding breath.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom