Browser reloading page constantly and jerkyness

G00fyDad

Can you confirm the version of Chrome you are running?

To check, click on the three horizontal bars near the top-right corner and click Help and about.

I just started having the issue myself while I disabled Adblock Plus on this site. (It didn't happen until I refreshed the page) I enabled the extension again and no more problems. It is one of the ads causing this. I will keep watch on this thread for the error to be fixed then I will disable the AdBlock Plus again.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just started having the issue myself while I disabled Adblock Plus on this site. (It didn't happen until I refreshed the page) I enabled the extension again and no more problems. It is one of the ads causing this. I will keep watch on this thread for the error to be fixed then I will disable the AdBlock Plus again.
Flash is very unstable on Chrome, and most other browsers. Unfortunately we can never track down rogue ads that are causing issues, because there are just so many of them.

It will likely resolve itself once the particular ad goes out of circulation. And of course Flash will soon be gone, as the major browsers are going to stop supporting it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
To disable Flash in Chrome, type chrome://plugins in the address bar. Then click Disable by Adobe Flash Player.

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
Can you confirm the version of Chrome you are running?

To check, click on the three horizontal bars near the top-right corner and click Help and about.

I just upgraded as I did not realize I was running an older version. I'm now on Chrome version 52.0.2743.82 m

I'll try running the page periodically today and see what happens. I just went into the same thread I was experiencing problems with and it does seem much smoother now. Maybe that was the trick, I'll watch it today and get you an update.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just upgraded as I did not realize I was running an older version. I'm now on Chrome version 52.0.2743.82 m

I'll try running the page periodically today and see what happens. I just went into the same thread I was experiencing problems with and it does seem much smoother now. Maybe that was the trick, I'll watch it today and get you an update.
Thanks.

And also try disabling Flash at some point and see how that impacts things.

SSH

done...will report back. Thanks for the help. Hopefully this helps others as well.
Helped me...I thought it was something on my end with my computer or online connection. But just an fyi that I did have the latest Chrome version when this was all going on. So the instructions on how to disable flash may end up really helpful for both of us at some point. (Although I haven't disabled yet and everything has been very smooth today.)

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
Had to turn it back on as other pages I visit require it to be active to get all the content...any fix in sight for the forum?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Had to turn it back on as other pages I visit require it to be active to get all the content...any fix in sight for the forum?
Unfortunately we can't fix it, because it is really an issue between Flash and Chrome.

One option would be to upgrade to a Premium Member, which removes all advertising - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/account/upgrades

Second would be to switch to a different browser.

Third would be to wait for Chrome to stop allowing Flash, which won't be long. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3106...-plan-to-kill-flash-kicks-into-high-gear.html

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One way to improve the jerkyness is to put certain people on ignore. I did it to @wdwmagic since he's always electronically strutting around like he owns the place.

prfctlyximprct

Glad I found this! Here I thought it was my computer! But when I try and reply to things on my iPhone, it skips all around and the blue bar with the fonts and colors always covers where I'm typing... maybe it's because I'm on the app?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Glad I found this! Here I thought it was my computer! But when I try and reply to things on my iPhone, it skips all around and the blue bar with the fonts and colors always covers where I'm typing... maybe it's because I'm on the app?
Use Safari on iPhone and you won't have any issues.

SSH

Was going to start a new thread but I saw this one is similar to my current issue.

Since about Thursday evening, I've been having trouble navigating the entire site. Whenever I click to open a thread or to go to the next page of a thread, I get redirected to the main forum page. If I'm able to make it into the thread itself, the page usually goes blank and I have to refresh a few times. I disabled flash months ago and I'm not tech savvy so I'm not sure what other things to disable. I also have to hit "post" a few times too before and comments will be pushed through. I'm currently on my desktop using Chrome on Windows 10. The issues also started recently on my mobile too, which used to be fine. Thanks as always for any suggestions.

Was driving me CRAZY for months. I also disabled flash - didn't help. I have two words for you: AdBlock. Look it up online. I downloaded it and it's been heaven ever since. But please know I'm not a computer expert - so please look at some reviews online to make sure it's established and safe before you download. I did a little research and it seemed safe and used by a lot of people. I know it fixed the problem for me.

SSH

AdBlock didn't do a thing. I'm still getting java script error messages left and right. Its not just on my desktop but phone and iPad. I don't even know what java scripts, so I'm really getting aggravated. :hilarious:

Sorry that didn't work...it made such a huge diff for me ever since installing it. But frankly, all the other people's suggested fixes did nothing for me either when I was trying them, so definitely feel your pain! Seems like there's some major structural/programming problems in the past year on this board and the other main one. The impact is affecting people differently, so I guess there's not one tidy fix for everyone. So frustrating. I hope you find a remedy soon.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry that didn't work...it made such a huge diff for me ever since installing it. But frankly, all the other people's suggested fixes did nothing for me either when I was trying them, so definitely feel your pain! Seems like there's some major structural/programming problems in the past year on this board and the other main one. The impact is affecting people differently, so I guess there's not one tidy fix for everyone. So frustrating. I hope you find a remedy soon.
There isn't a major structural problem with the site.

We have tested the site on nearly every configuration out there, and it runs without issue. In cases where there are problems, it is client side related. i.e. It is an issue specific to the particular user's setup, including possible ads being shown.

If you are having problems, let me know the issues and the configuration you are using and we will try to troubleshoot.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
And a note on using Adblock. The site is funded by advertising. Obviously installing Adblock eliminates that funding.

If you prefer not to see advertising, please consider purchasing a Premium membership for $5 a month. No ads, and it helps to keep the lights on around here. Thanks.

Account Upgrades

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom