Monorail Pics.....

KathyJetson

IMG_4397.JPG

Phantom Mickey

1 Blue, 1 Teal!

I do need to replace blue though, it has many issues. Gold in that collection has been reworked to work similar to model railrods. It is speed controlled through a power pack. I have made a special set of track that has metal pickups on the side and that is wired to a pack which is wired to the wall. It no longer uses batteries. It also can go in reverse just as quickly.

sorry for the late comment, but what did you use for a drive, motor and gears?? I have wanted to convert a monorail from the battery drive but have not found a drive to fit.

montyz81

sorry for the late comment, but what did you use for a drive, motor and gears?? I have wanted to convert a monorail from the battery drive but have not found a drive to fit.
i used the same sized motor but picked it up from Radio Shack. I didn't change any of the gears. It is all basically the same. Instead of the two leads going to the battery, I rewired them to go to leads i mounted down by the side wheels to copper pickups on the side of the monorail beam.

Phantom Mickey

i used the same sized motor but picked it up from Radio Shack. I didn't change any of the gears. It is all basically the same. Instead of the two leads going to the battery, I rewired them to go to leads i mounted down by the side wheels to copper pickups on the side of the monorail beam.

Was the original drive wedge good enough? It seem to slip if and when it actually gets any power from the original motor and the orig motor really seems under powered. The movement is unbearably slow. LOL of course by scale I suppose the model is SCREAMING down the rail so I must be after HI SPEED RAIL, lolol.
I had thought of finding a small race car and use the motor and gears and wheel/tire and modify it so the wheel would sit on the track top just like the real monorails are powered and try to power it the way you are talking about but that would take a lot of modification and cutting inside the cab.
I have several Monorail models ( looks up and rolls eyes over to the right ) so I can actually experiment when I find a plan that can actually work but at this point I am stuck but still seeking an answer.

Thanks for the response if if you have any other ideas or suggestions, I'd welcome that.

Phantom Mickey

This is a great shot. I am particularly drawn to the Jumping Water Fountain which immediately tags it as being by JOURNEY, it is it now the attraction formerly known as JOURNEY???? Other than the Monorails,( I actually preferred the more slender stealthy MK IV models but the MK vi's were designed with a more commercial transportation design so taller, fatter, etc) These fountains are are real draw for me as they always catch my attention. The kids seem to get caught up as they bob around trying to avoid the water stream as it jets toward them. Sometimes they don't move fast enough, lol.
Very nice

Last edited:

Phantom Mickey

WOW, two monorials, traveling in opposite directions, in front of Cinderellas Castle, the castle is centered and look at that view of all the lands, with some of the attractions peeking out from the trees, what a view!!!! I'm still trying to figure out where you are with the monorail tracks between you like that.
That shot is one in a million, and would be very difficult to duplicate... very nice shot.

Last edited:

Phantom Mickey

finally milled the top of the master pattern. What I thought was going to be tough, turned out to be a piece of cake...you can see the hatches and beacon in the second photo... back to work

Will

milled_top_zps1e9b201f.jpg
mill_top_hatches_zps657afd66.jpg

Amazing.. You know, I wonder how those new plastic printers would do creating a monorail body. I'd like to get a MK IV myself but the technology is cool. nice job for your efforts.

TheMouseFan

WOW, two monorials, traveling in opposite directions, in front of Cinderellas Castle, the castle is centered and look at that view of all the lands, with some of the attractions peeking out from the trees, what a view!!!! I'm still trying to figure out where you are with the monorail tracks between you like that.
That shot is one in a million, and would be very difficult to duplicate... very nice shot.
Thanks! I was on the 4th floor viewing deck of the Contemporary.

bobquincy

I had thought of finding a small race car and use the motor and gears and wheel/tire and modify it so the wheel would sit on the track top just like the real monorails are powered and try to power it the way you are talking about but that would take a lot of modification and cutting inside the cab.
I have several Monorail models ( looks up and rolls eyes over to the right ) so I can actually experiment when I find a plan that can actually work but at this point I am stuck but still seeking an answer.

Thanks for the response if if you have any other ideas or suggestions, I'd welcome that.

WhisperJet is the answer. A belt drive for the monorail that is fast, smooth, and quiet (and like you mentioned, it uses a race car motor). It goes around a circle of beam in about 10 seconds where an average stock monorail takes 20+.
http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

Here is the chassis and a photo of how it fits in the monorail (plus radio control and enhanced audio system).
wj_chassis_400_1160595.jpg
wj_steve_400_1041.jpg

Or if you don't need full radio control the "autonomous" system is in testing and is almost ready (the test model is clearly not a WhisperJet).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom