Roger Rabbit Portable Hole

BasiltheBatLord

Original Poster
This isn't WDW, but can someone give me a run down on how the portable hole effect works in Car Toon Spin? I'm assuming the "hole" is on wheels and moves back but when you enter the room it seems like the hole and the wall are clearly separate somehow.

Also just while I'm on the topic of this ride: I'm assuming the urban myth of the ride's inspiration coming from Imagineers putting a tea cup on a Fantasyland ride late at night is untrue correct? As it would be impossible to just stick a new vehicle, especially a tea cup on an existing rides track?

Thanks.

Last edited:

kap91

The new book Theme Park Design by David Younger describes how the effect works along with almost every other one. I'll see if I can find it in there again and post here.

As far as the story - it is true. It wasn't inspiration so much as early testing. They put a Teacup on to the base of a Pinocchio vehicle I believe.

kap91

This is a quote from the book:

"The effect is achieved by locating a mirror along the side of the rectangular tunnel the guest actually travels through, with the mouth of the tunnel being surrounded by the round, black 'hole'. This physical structure can therefore be pushed against the wall by roger. The mirror then reflects the wall of the room, carefully designed to be repeating in the mirror image"

kap91

Essentially the 'hole' is the mouth of the tunnel. Think of it like a paper towel tube inside another slightly larger tube. When you approach, the inner tube is extended but the exterior is a mirror so it just reflects the set (which is painted in a repeating pattern so you don't notice the reflection). The inside of the tube is painted black and from the side looks like a "portable hole" as you approach roger simply slides the inner tube into the larger tube (just the tunnel you go through that's flush With the wall. Does that make sense?

BasiltheBatLord

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer. I'm having a hard time visualizing that. If I could see a diagram or something I'd probably get it.

That looks like a great book though, I need to pick that up.

kap91

Thanks for the answer. I'm having a hard time visualizing that. If I could see a diagram or something I'd probably get it.

That looks like a great book though, I need to pick that up.

If I have time I'll sketch something up quick. It's probably way simpler than you're thinking.

kap91

It's rough but hope this explains it. Not sure if it's exactly accurate - I'm not sure a curved mirror would work but it's the idea.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 657

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom