From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorcererMC

Oh I forgot about the Timon and Pumbaa guest show on the tv. With the "rules". Is wildlife mentioned on that program?
I honestly don't know. I was just wondering...if I'm a guest planning a visit, what information is Disney putting out there for me to know ahead of time? ....also shows that only people who go out of their way to find it, would.

s8film40

Looks as it is supposed to keep people out...not wildlife away. Staying at Poly right now and workers are still installing on the beach by the boat dock right now.
I think they chose this type of fence so that if or when it comes up in court they can claim that the fence is to keep people away from the water (forcing them to follow the existing rules in other words) rather than protect them from the alligators. They will ultimately blame the parents if this goes to court. This should help with that, the signs and the gator feeding are a whole other issue and that would be the harder part for them.

21stamps

In addition to clear signage I think they are going to have to install some type of barrier at the water's edge, whether it's a fence or some other form of barrier. This will allow guests to continue to enjoy the white sand beaches both day and night without concerns about safety. Sure, there will always be people who ignore the signs and climb over the fence/barrier but in doing so Disney is taking reasonable steps to ensure guest safety and mitigating it's liability. As long as the beaches are still there and can be enjoyed, and the water views are not obstructed, I don't see why anyone would take issue with this.
Here's the reason why I take issue. Words can't describe my childhood memories and now sharing that same place with my own child.
image.jpeg

21stamps

I honestly don't know. I was just wondering...if I'm a guest planning a visit, what information is Disney putting out there for me to know ahead of time? ....also shows that only people who go out of their way to find it, would.
My kid watched the show.. I didn't really pay attention since I already know about Florida wildlife and how to behave at a theme park.

But really I haven't stayed at any resorts in Florida that have warned us about something on check in.

jaklgreen

My point exactly.
I keep hearing people allude to things like; "It's Florida, what were they doing by the water?" "Don't they know?" "Or, that water's gross, I wouldn't put a toe in."
The average guest who books the Grand Floridian cannot be blamed for believing that they along with their family can stroll along that beach.
I love Disney as much as anybody, and I'm a quick parent blamer and Disney supporter.
But if Disney was aware of an active gator population, possibly being fed - they owed it to guests to have some gator warning signs, not just "no swimming."

I can agree with you that many are not aware of possible dangers and that people obviously do think there are alligators at WDW. But that the water being disgusting is something you can plainly see and smell.

rael ramone

If I were representing the family, I would attempt to have the fencing, new signs, etc. admitted into evidence under the exception in Rule 407 for proving, if contested, the "feasibility of precautionary measures." If I were Disney, I would attempt to get around that exception by stipulating (i.e., not contesting) that fencing and new signs were feasible precautionary measures.

As a practical matter, if I were representing Disney, I would do everything in my power to keep this away from a jury. As this thread has demonstrated, it is very difficult to predict how people on a jury might react. For example, some folks believe, based on the limited facts available to us at this point, that this attack was a freak occurrence that nobody could have reasonably foreseen. Others believe the attack might have been prevented through a combination of more explicit signs, better animal control, and stricter enforcement of rules prohibiting the feeding of wildlife.

My practice does not involve personal injury/wrongful death cases, but in every case I certainly advise my clients regarding the value of eliminating that uncertainty with respect to liability and damages.

I think what is far, far more valuable to $DIS is for this to go away.

Throw a large amount at the family with stipulations of non-disparagement and no admission of guilt. Hope the news cycle moves on, and other parties (like say Sen. Markey) don't start asking questions they'd rather not answer.

*IF* (speculation, no actual knowledge) there was a revelation that they reduced their animal control budget to increase their margins and there was a corresponding reduction on gators relocated/dispatched things would get far, far worse for them... As in Pressler/Harris worse...

DisneyGigi

Of which none of "those sites" have.
So, was the sign credible? My gosh, why do you nitpick? So sorry, I didn't post a link to a credible news link. Was the info provided by the blog correct? Yes. It was. I am not arguing with you about it, it is pointless. A child is dead... No matter who or what is to blame. If what I posted a link to was false, could see your point in complaining, since it wasn't.. Not so much. :-/
*edit to add, meant to double quote, not post again

Last edited:

SorcererMC

My kid watched the show.. I didn't really pay attention since I already know about Florida wildlife and how to behave at a theme park.

But really I haven't stayed at any resorts in Florida that have warned us about something on check in.

Same here. Always stayed at my grandmother's lakefront property, and she always said about the gators. And re: theme parks, you just follow the signs about safety, whatever is right in front of you, not what might be around property.

jaklgreen

I'm not a big believer in everything needs a warning. I am actually the type of person though that reads signs and follows rules. I like to be informed about any possible dangers, I don't need the obvious thrown in my face all the time. I would certainly categorize a danger of gators in the helpful information category. If I go to a marshmallow roast I am perfectly fine with kids being told about the dangers, if I host one on my own I'll probably look up information for it, what to look out for, etc. and take responsibility as any host should.

I'm with you. I am annoyed that coffee cups have a warning saying the coffee will be hot. So stupid!

s8film40

I still miss Mr Toads and the Skyway. I'm old.

The difference for me here is that now everyone staying at these resorts will be staring directly at a fence. Yuck.
Yep, the fences are overkill. A nice sign letting people know there could be gators in the water is absolutely all that's needed. That and addressing any feeding issues.

KingdomofDreams

Here's the reason why I take issue. Words can't describe my childhood memories and now sharing that same place with my own child. View attachment 146591

I understand what you're feeling about it, I truly do, but a child has been killed and it seems the gator issue has become a much more serious problem than it was in the past. The beaches, the views, and all the associated activities hopefully will continue on as they always have, just with a barrier of some sort at the water's edge to keep people away from potential danger. For me, it is a trade off I'm willing to make. My hope is that Disney will make the effort to design barriers that fit the theming of the specific areas and are as unobtrusive as possible while doing the job they are intended to do.

jaklgreen

We did a marshmallow roast one time... Never again. Not concerned with the fire, but the number of kids that were allowed to RUN around and were slinging sticks with no concept of the danger they presented to other people... Nope...Not worth the risk, I'm simply amazed that on the one we were at no one ever poked someone with one of the sticks.

In the future my kids are welcome to roast marshmallow at home in the back yard, in the fireplace, over a grill.... but no way will they do another group deal.... you might have perfectly behaved children, but that doesn't mean the other kids will be or will have parents that even bother to make sure they don't do stupid things.

And that is all on the parents. Why would anyone let their child run around with a sharp stick, not only sharp but hot from the marshmallow too. I wish we were allowed to smack stupid people in situations like this.

DashRendar

Ugh. I'm sorry. :(. Enjoy your vacation!!!
It has been an interesting week here. It won't be ruined, I'll just never forget any of it. We got in on Sat and that night the night club attack went down, then Tuesday nights tragedy happened, then the new castle show this afternoon had almost 1 to 1 guest to security personnel during it. It's been crazy but still a good time with my girls.

21stamps

I
I understand what you're feeling about it, I truly do, but a child has been killed and it seems the gator issue has become a much more serious problem than it was in the past. The beaches, the views, and all the associated activities hopefully will continue on as they always have, just with a barrier of some sort at the water's edge to keep people away from potential danger. For me, it is a trade off I'm willing to make. My hope is that Disney will make the effort to design barriers that fit the theming of the specific areas and are as unobtrusive as possible while doing the job they are intended to do.
I would agree with you if it was a trade off for the safety of children. I just don't think it is.. Because they could still be bitten by a snake. A ride could malfunction etc.

There are a lot of dangers that warrant extra precautions. But an alligator attack is a 1 in 2.4 million chance. This story really got to me, mainly because I realized that no matter what- our children are never completely safe.
But I know there have been shark attacks, it doesn't mean I want a fence built around the beach, it doesn't mean that I will not take my child snorkeling or swim in the ocean.

I just feel like this fence will satisfy some people. But the majority realize that it's not really necessary.

21stamps

It has been an interesting week here. It won't be ruined, I'll just never forget any of it. We got in on Sat and that night the night club attack went down, then Tuesday nights tragedy happened, then the new castle show this afternoon had almost 1 to 1 guest to security personnel during it. It's been crazy but still a good time with my girls.
Wow. Well I'm glad you are still having fun! It's still Disney and you're still making memories with your children :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom