From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew81

Yep, those new signs will be very.... very clear. I can see why they wanted to avoid putting something like that up, it's quite startling, but necessary.

This is what Disney said in that article:

“We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches. We continue to evaluate processes and procedures for our entire property, and, as part of this, we are reinforcing training with our Cast for reporting sightings and interactions with wildlife and are expanding our communication to Guests on this topic.

What does that really mean? If they expand communication but don't put any teeth to it, nothing will change.

dstrawn9889

I just read that it says "Temporary Barriers" So it sounds like it will be just the signs that are really an impact. That is GOOD NEWS!
r u kidding? pics in FB and Twitter showing fencing being installed (looks temporary) until they figure out what to do

13432249_10208181127864096_3803157240625494786_n.jpg

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I bet this is temporary

"We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches. We continue to evaluate processes and procedures for our entire property, and, as part of this, we are reinforcing training with our Cast for reporting sightings and interactions with wildlife and are expanding our communication to Guests on this topic,"Jacquee Wahler, Vice President, Walt Disney World Resort

We will see...

21stamps

Well, the new signage is going to be pretty clear.. especially with the new fences.

The new fences are temporary, I expect something far more significant in the future.

750x422
It will take them a while to figure out how to provide a barrier and not ruin the vibe of the area. Which means for me, my vacation will probably have ugly fences.

21stamps

Not as dramatic change as the earlier decisions to stop using the lakes for recreational bathing and then still leaving the beaches there.

The sunbathing and recreation elements can be replicated elsewhere on the property in sundecks and play areas... so there is really no loss in amenities anyway. The viewing for nighttime events isn't really impacted and the views can be kept intact even if the beaches go away entirely.

The landscaping and waterfront can be altered to be natural without it being approachable. Disney could even keep the sand washups but move the pedestrian barrier back to along the paths. Rocks, barriers, rope lines, etc can all establish a barrier without necessarily removing the water's edge look from afar.

I think adding the ropes but not altering the beach uses and accessibility itself is another stupid move... that like the years before it makes Disney maintain areas that would just make the guests go 'huh?? why is that even there if no one can use it'. Which is why I believe as other projects happen, you'll see these beaches finally goto YesterLand and the waterfront being redone.

I don't think anyone thinks the Grand Floridian looks awful from this view...
View attachment 146579

And that is all the side that is break rock and not foot accessible.

And BTW: I've done plenty of marketing... comes with the territory of designing the corporate booths, presentations and strategy for industry shows, events, and other goodies that came with being Product Line Owners.
That view is not from your room, or while sitting on the beach.

Oh I'm just sad over this. Sorry.

Blueliner

Excellent point! But do we really think a Jury would be able to hold themselves above the emotional trap of connecting the two? And Disney is basically saying 'yes it is possible' and 'yes it should make a difference' by doing so. Specifics of law aside, its hard to keep those ideas away from the Jury if the fact its happened makes it to the jury.

If I were representing the family, I would attempt to have the fencing, new signs, etc. admitted into evidence under the exception in Rule 407 for proving, if contested, the "feasibility of precautionary measures." If I were Disney, I would attempt to get around that exception by stipulating (i.e., not contesting) that fencing and new signs were feasible precautionary measures.

As a practical matter, if I were representing Disney, I would do everything in my power to keep this away from a jury. As this thread has demonstrated, it is very difficult to predict how people on a jury might react. For example, some folks believe, based on the limited facts available to us at this point, that this attack was a freak occurrence that nobody could have reasonably foreseen. Others believe the attack might have been prevented through a combination of more explicit signs, better animal control, and stricter enforcement of rules prohibiting the feeding of wildlife.

My practice does not involve personal injury/wrongful death cases, but in every case I certainly advise my clients regarding the value of eliminating that uncertainty with respect to liability and damages.

SorcererMC

I have no idea if this has been posted before or not, but I was curious about what do they say specifically.... and I've never even searched for it before - the Guest Safety section of Disney's official website.
https://disneywildaboutsafety.com/

Under FAQs:
"Will I encounter any bugs or wildlife during my visit?
Yes. You may want to bring insect repellant during the warmer months. Most importantly please do not feed the birds or other animals. As Timon and Pumbaa would say your yummies are not good for their tummies."

KingdomofDreams

In addition to clear signage I think they are going to have to install some type of barrier at the water's edge, whether it's a fence or some other form of barrier. This will allow guests to continue to enjoy the white sand beaches both day and night without concerns about safety. Sure, there will always be people who ignore the signs and climb over the fence/barrier but in doing so Disney is taking reasonable steps to ensure guest safety and mitigating it's liability. As long as the beaches are still there and can be enjoyed, and the water views are not obstructed, I don't see why anyone would take issue with this.

21stamps

I have no idea if this has been posted before or not, but I was curious about what do they say specifically.... and I've never even searched for it before - the Guest Safety section of Disney's official website.
https://disneywildaboutsafety.com/

Under FAQs:
"Will I encounter any bugs or wildlife during my visit?
Yes. You may want to bring insect repellant during the warmer months. Most importantly please do not feed the birds or other animals. As Timon and Pumbaa would say your yummies are not good for their tummies."
Oh I forgot about the Timon and Pumbaa guest show on the tv. With the "rules". Is wildlife mentioned on that program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom