New Star Wars live stage show coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios this Spring

WildcatDen

everyone's jumping with joy over a new stage show.
Or skipping. With my knee, I try and limit my jumping. Skipping, while also a bit of a pain on my knee does not produce the same load as jumping. Skipping, jumping, jumping, skipping, it is all semantics, eh?

I think maybe next time, I will just 'flail my arms' in joy?

ptaylor

Premium Member
With regard to some of the blogger reviews mentioned above.

You have to remember that the authors are desperate for acceptance by Disney, Uni, Sea World in an attempt to get freebies and into events. They will say anything to reach that goal.

I've been standing next to them in the parks and heard them discussing tactics first hand.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Few comments on the show from seeing it in person.

1. The new collapsable screens are great from a staging perspective, but the brightness is way below the traditional screens, and it is extremely hard to see in daylight. This is only going to get worse across the summer.

2. Crowd control is a mess around the show. The masking tape and ropes are out in force, and it generally isn't a very nice place to be.

3. The show itself really has no direction. It feels like fashion show. Some movie clips play, which are very hard to see, and then a character walks out, and then leaves. The show director was J Michael Roddy - who came over from Universal. He also did the TCM overlay at Great Movie Ride and Frozen Sing Along.

Disney can do so much better than this, and once again it shows how they are just not trying anymore. Particularly at the Studios. Like the Launch Bay, this Star Wars experience feels temporary, underfunded and rushed together, and is not doing the park any favors.

s8film40

It feels like fashion show.
This is the best description I've seen! I think this would have been perfect if it were something that just ran continuously in the launch bay. Kind of like the way the Test Track post show area occasionally presents cars on the stages. This is okay it just doesn't feel like a "show" that you line up for and wait to watch. If your walking by and it's going on it's interesting to look at.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not to put words (or whatever) in your mouth, but you are implying that this is the 'high water mark' for Star Wars offerings at this park?

It's difficult to have any optimism as everything done gets progressively worse. Is Disney no longer capable of putting together a show as good as the ones at SWW weekends in the past?

It's Star Wars howinthehell does one create a show with that kind of source material that is compared unfavorably to Stitchs Supersonic Celebration ?????

FigmentJedi

It's difficult to have any optimism as everything done gets progressively worse. Is Disney no longer capable of putting together a show as good as the ones at SWW weekends in the past?

It's Star Wars howinthehell does one create a show with that kind of source material that is compared unfavorably to Stitchs Supersonic Celebration ?????
It's because Kathleen Kennedy put the kibosh on anything really goofy being done with the Star Wars brand like Hyperspace Hoopla or the now shelved Detours television show. Only Lego is allowed to do Star Wars comedy.

VJ

I liked the Captain Phasma stormtrooper thing and the rising screen with the main title music made me go "whoah". Other than that, the show didn't really impress me. They could have done a lot better and to be honest I'm disappointed.

Cesar R M

With regard to some of the blogger reviews mentioned above.

You have to remember that the authors are desperate for acceptance by Disney, Uni, Sea World in an attempt to get freebies and into events. They will say anything to reach that goal.

I've been standing next to them in the parks and heard them discussing tactics first hand.
IF they wanted credibility and public.. They should keep it real.

Donaldfan1934

Is this a permanent stage?
Because if it is.. I .. just cant understand..
blocking the great movie ride.. AGAIN? for a crappy barebones stage? D:
Its, as of now, not permanent, but I don't see the need for these hub based stage shows. They take awy from the atmosphere. Sure, seeing the characters is cool, but its better when you can actually, you know, MEET THEM!

Few comments on the show from seeing it in person.

3. The show itself really has no direction. It feels like fashion show. Some movie clips play, which are very hard to see, and then a character walks out, and then leaves. The show director was J Michael Roddy - who came over from Universal. He also did the TCM overlay at Great Movie Ride and Frozen Sing Along.

Disney can do so much better than this, and once again it shows how they are just not trying anymore. Particularly at the Studios. Like the Launch Bay, this Star Wars experience feels temporary, underfunded and rushed together, and is not doing the park any favors.

I agree with the above. I just saw it too. My son and I are huge SW fans and he wanted to leave 5 minutes into it.

It was just a montage of SW moments and then a random masked charachter would walk out and essentially wave and walk off the stage. No heart, no soul, no story.

It sucked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom