The BIG taboo.... Breastfeeding (and ISO other infant tips)

Figaro928

Original Poster
Hello all. I am due with baby # 3 in April. We are in the early stages of planning our next WDW trip for either late fall or early winter. That will bring baby #3 to about 6-7 months old. I will hopefully, if all goes well, still be exclusively breastfeeding at that point. I have never been to WDW with an infant (the youngest I've dealt with was 18 months, with sippy cup and mostly potty trained)

Other than the obvious baby care stations, are there any decent relatively quiet places other moms have experienced that work well for feeding little ones? Preferably ones near bigger attractions, so I can feed while the hubby takes the two bigger ones to be entertained.

I know this can easily turn into a taboo and divisive conversation, but I am not looking for a debate or law facts, just suggestions from seasoned parents. Thanks in advance

Also, feel free to add your best traveling with infant tips. We will be flying. I'll be using an Ergo & will bring a sling and reclining umbrella stroller. Thanks moms and dads!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's not taboo at all. I don't have any specific spots to offer, but I can share our experience. We went with our daughter in April at six months old. She did a little bit of pureed food but breastfeeding was 98% of her caloric intake at that time. We never messed with a bottle, whether formula or bottled breast milk. Weather plays a huge part in what areas are comfortable. It was about 90 degrees the whole week we were there, so the care stations were the most valuable to us for their quiet and air conditioning. The only thing I didn't love about those areas is that they aren't very dad friendly. Even when my wife was the only woman in the nursing rooms, I had to go sit in some waiting room and watch Doc McStuffins. If I remember correctly, Epcot and the Magic Kingdom have common rooms with chairs for moms only, but Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom have private rooms that mom and dad can enter together.

When it comes to quiet spaces, watch out for smoking sections. Some of the areas that look like they'd be good "out of the way" options are designated for smokers.

Weather_Lady

Specific places that come to mind: the "charging station" seating area near Pete's Silly Sideshow (Magic Kingdom, Fantasyland), the rocking chairs by the fireplace inside the gift shop next to Splash Mountain (Magic Kingdom, Frontierland), and much of Epcot's World Showcase (each pavilion has its own little garden or dark exhibit hall, with lots of infrequently-traveled nooks and crannies).

You should note that Florida law protects public breastfeeding (with or without a cover -- whatever is comfortable for you and your baby), so regardless of where you decide to do it, no one has the right to tell you to go elsewhere.

Oh - this link has some good suggestions, too! http://www.babble.com/disney/5-great-nursing-locations-at-walt-disney-world/

RememberWhen

I don't have personal experience nursing a 6-7 month old at Disney, but my mother always said she liked to nurse babies on quiet dark rides or shows. Stuff like the people mover or hall of presidents. Quiet corners of quick service restaurants can be good too. Less distracting for kiddo, more comfortable for you.
How old are the other kids? Sounds like a great trip! I loved going with my younger siblings.

Figaro928

Original Poster
It's not taboo at all. I don't have any specific spots to offer, but I can share our experience. We went with our daughter in April at six months old. She did a little bit of pureed food but breastfeeding was 98% of her caloric intake at that time. We never messed with a bottle, whether formula or bottled breast milk. Weather plays a huge part in what areas are comfortable. It was about 90 degrees the whole week we were there, so the care stations were the most valuable to us for their quiet and air conditioning. The only thing I didn't love about those areas is that they aren't very dad friendly. Even when my wife was the only woman in the nursing rooms, I had to go sit in some waiting room and watch Doc McStuffins. If I remember correctly, Epcot and the Magic Kingdom have common rooms with chairs for moms only, but Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom have private rooms that mom and dad can enter together.

When it comes to quiet spaces, watch out for smoking sections. Some of the areas that look like they'd be good "out of the way" options are designated for smokers.
Thanks , I'm not as worried about the hubby being in the care stations, as he will be busy corralling the 2 bigger ones :p I have read and had some experience that it's recommended that dads take the frontline on diaper duty though. The changing stations in the men's rooms are a lot less frequented and therefore cleaner. At least that's how I'm going to present this to him :angelic:

Figaro928

Original Poster
I don't have personal experience nursing a 6-7 month old at Disney, but my mother always said she liked to nurse babies on quiet dark rides or shows. Stuff like the people mover or hall of presidents. Quiet corners of quick service restaurants can be good too. Less distracting for kiddo, more comfortable for you.
How old are the other kids? Sounds like a great trip! I loved going with my younger siblings.

When we go, they will be 6 years old and 4 1/2 years old. They've both been twice when they were 3 & 1 1/2 and the 4 1/2 and 3, but this would (hopefully) be the first year that they both will be able to do most the bigger rides and go strong without naps and strollers.

Ali Mouse

Whenever and wherever you feel comfortable. I brought my daughter at 1 and I am not a shy person but I keep it covered. I chose places like dark shows and dark resteraunts such as hall of presidents, carousel of progress, one mans dream, American adventure, Mama Melroses!
One time we were on a pirates marathon- where we kept going on and on and she wanted milk while we were on the ride(only us in the boat) so I breastfed on pirates as well.
I had my cover up that I bought at target with me in the stroller so I would even do it in places like outside and inside(at the exit) of the big rides. Bottom line wherever you feel comfortable- if u feel comfortable at home doing it at a resteraunt you can do the same at Disney. If u want a quiet secluded place with no one around the care stations are a great place. I also have other children and we were always on the go so I didn't utilize them much. So wherever and whenever. Have a wonderful trip!

DrummerAlly

We went with a 3 month old who nursed constantly and everywhere. I didn't nurse with a cover but I did try to find quiet places when possible and be somewhat discreet. Over the course of our entire trip not a single person batted an eye at me and it was a completely pleasant experience. Everyone suggests nursing on dark rides or in shows but there was too much going on for my baby and she didn't want any part of that (although she wasn't thrilled with being in them in the first place). The baby care stations are great but each park only has one and it can be a big haul to get to one. My suggestion would be to just find any quiet nook and make yourself comfortable. There are so many benches, out of the way alleys, etc. that it probably won't be an issue. My experience is that near every major area is also a quiet resting spot. Have a wonderful trip!

jaklgreen

We didn't take our kids that young to WDW but went out to the mall etc. I just sat at the nearest bench and started nursing. I personally do not think that nursing on a ride or a show is a good idea. I would hate to feel rushed or stop nursing because you had to get up and leave. That does not make for a happy baby. I would say that you need more diapers then you would think. Some people ship supplies down which is convenient if you are flying. But Disney has anything you can need in a pinch. Have a great trip.

NelleBelle

We went when my sons were 2 1/2 and 4-wks. I nursed all over the parks... a lot! I used a cover-up but found it was awfully hot, even the ones with the wire at the top so you can look down at baby. I tried to find AC wherever I could (uni. of energy ride was great). But Tom Sawyer Island was also a good place since my DH could take my older son and let him burn off excess energy. You should find a place that both you and baby will be comfortable (and baby won't be distracted). I remember trying to nurse my son at that age and I can only imagine if I tried to nurse him during a show...forget it! He'd have more interest in what was going on on the stage/screen than what was going in his mouth :p

jaklgreen

You should use a cover up or do it in a dark place or during a show like American Adventure.

Umm, NO. A mother can nurse anywhere she wants to. I never used one of those crazy cover up blankets. How would you like to be outside in the heat and trying to have your meal but you are completely covered in this giant blanket trapping all of the heat? I hope you were trying to make a joke. Seriously, a person sees more at the pool or beach then on a nursing mother. Being a Mom to a newborn is hard enough without people acting as if you are doing something wrong by nursing your baby. Nursing your baby is what are made for. It is illegal to discriminate against nursing mothers. Be nice to them and if you don't want to see it then don't look.

Figaro928

Original Poster
Umm, NO. A mother can nurse anywhere she wants to. I never used one of those crazy cover up blankets. How would you like to be outside in the heat and trying to have your meal but you are completely covered in this giant blanket trapping all of the heat? I hope you were trying to make a joke. Seriously, a person sees more ***** at the pool or beach then on a nursing mother. Being a Mom to a newborn is hard enough without people acting as if you are doing something wrong by nursing your baby. Nursing your baby is what ******* are made for. It is illegal to discriminate against nursing mothers. Be nice to them and if you don't want to see it then don't look.

And there in lies the taboo of it all :rolleyes:

My husband just said he's pretty sure the Jasmine meet and greet shows more boobage. Anyway, that's why I was reluctant to bring up a conversation like this - there's always one person looking to instigate a debate. Thank you for the great tips everyone!!!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I breast fed my 11 mo old and never had a problem. I used a cover because my son would get distracted otherwise and not eat. I got a cover like this on Etsy so he couldn't pull it off and look around

6605d6a1bbb43f3b1146572196982349.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Florida Law states - "A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the mother’s breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breastfeeding."

It also states under the Sexual Misconduct Law - "A mother’s breastfeeding of her baby does not under any circumstance constitute “sexual conduct.”

You can whip them out and feed your baby anywhere it is legal for you to be.

Last edited:

Noellikechristmas

I went when my daughter was 14 months old. We were not breastfeeding, but I was slightly keeping tabs on nursing mothers, cause I had recently gave it up. It was nice to see so many mothers on benches feeding their babies. Since Disney is more about the kids, I would have felt totally comfortable doing the same. Like a lot of people said, those dark or even just slow moving rides would be great. My daughter fall asleep on a lot of them. I will say, my ergo was a life saver for all those non-stroller areas, waiting lines and transferring to other transportation.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I went when my daughter was 14 months old. We were not breastfeeding, but I was slightly keeping tabs on nursing mothers, cause I had recently gave it up. It was nice to see so many mothers on benches feeding their babies. Since Disney is more about the kids, I would have felt totally comfortable doing the same. Like a lot of people said, those dark or even just slow moving rides would be great. My daughter fall asleep on a lot of them. I will say, my ergo was a life saver for all those non-stroller areas, waiting lines and transferring to other transportation.
What time of year were you there? We tried using our Tula two trips ago and it was unbearably hot and sweaty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom