The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3 Redemption Duel
Critiques

@DSquared

Fantastic concept DSquared! Let's go through and pick it apart. Something in general that I want you to work on is proof reading. There were typos in your proposal, but that can easily be fixed with a few read-throughs before you post. As for the story, it's a good one, but it seems VERY streamline Disney. The point of these Redemption Duels is to take risks, as it's your last shot at remaining in the game. While it was nice, you could have taken a bigger risk with this one. Moving on, Aurora's seems fantastic, well done. My main flaw was the name, as people would most likely be expecting Aurora to be there, when the restaurant is really based on the general story of Sleeping Beauty and not the Disney film. Also, I would have liked to see you stick to the theme of the hotel with the pools. Meaning no IPs. I just felt that they drifted a little too far from the fantasy theme. Finally, I loved the idea of the Mickey Mouse Playhouse, but I would have loved more detail. It's a great concept, but more detail could have fleshed it out so much more. Overall, a big round of applause for submitting and you turned in a great concept!

@Brer Panther and @englanddg

No critiques for obvious reasons. :p

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3 Redemption Duel
Results

The rankings for this Redemption Duel are:

1. @DSquared
2T. @englanddg
2T. @Brer Panther

That means that @englanddg and @Brer Panther have lost their shot at redemption and have been eliminated from The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island. This also means that @DSquared will stay alive on Redemption Island where he will receive another shot at redemption in the Redemption Duel.

To the castaways who remain in the regular game, expect your next immunity challenge tonight.​

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3 Immunity Challenge
Second Land Stories

Once again immunity is back up for grabs...

image230.jpg

For this challenge, our remaining castaways will be designing a second land/phase for Shanghai Disneyland! However, this isn't an average blue-sky challenge. I want you all to focus on the story first! Due to the fact that this is a story-based episode, I want both tribes to develop a solid story first, and then tell it in a meaningful way. The story should be detailed and extensive, and then you should go ahead and explain what your expansion will entail and how your story applies to it!

Episode 3 Immunity Challenge is due Friday, January 29th at 6:00 PM EST. You may use no more than 15 images and must have at least 5 sentences. You may not use a website. Finally, you will create your concepts in PMs that I will create and watch over.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3 Project Veto Challenge
Stories for Shops

Capture drsquoeacutecran 2015-07-15 agrave 14.59.23.png

For this episode's Project Veto Challenge, you'll be designing a backstory and shop for Mickey Avenue! Make sure to be creative, as that's all for this challenge!

Episode 3 Project Veto Challenge is due Thursday, January 28th at 7:00 PM EST. You may use no more than 5 sentences and 1 image. You MUST submit through your designated Project Veto PM.

spacemt354

Chili's
Second Land Stories

For this challenge, our remaining castaways will be designing a second land/phase for Shanghai Disneyland! However, this isn't an average blue-sky challenge. I want you all to focus on the story first! Due to the fact that this is a story-based episode, I want both tribes to develop a solid story first, and then tell it in a meaningful way. The story should be detailed and extensive, and then you should go ahead and explain what your expansion will entail and how your story applies to it!
IdOBuOe.png

The Tales of Xanadu

Chapter 1 - A.I.R. Assembled
"We are visionaries and explorers, pioneering the 23rd century to visit worlds beyond our solar system, while branching out into the unknown"
- Emmanuel Wu (founder and president of A.I.R.)

The year is 2171, in the dawn of a new era of space exploration. Upon successful missions to Mars, the construction of space colonies, and the global advancement in aeronautic technology, the United Nations agreed to privatize space exploration. While government funded space research facilities could still operate, space enthusiasts and explorers would have the opportunity to travel into space on their own.

The decision ignited a prodigious campaign to explore outer space. The moon base became open to the public, visits aboard the International Space Station were abound, and a trip to Mars became a popular "study abroad" program in colleges for engineering majors. This contemporary society bread imagination and answered questions that the human race had for thousands of years...our place in the universe.

Amid the vast interest in space exploration was a group of entrepreneurs that had dreamed of the opportunity to push the boundaries of human potential. To travel where only the imagination could envision. From a young age, Emmanuel Wu was surrounded by the theme of exploration. His great-grandfather, Alexander Wu, was part of the astronaut team that first landed on and colonized Mars way back in 2067. Considering the significance of his family name ("Wu" in Chinese means shaman), his great-grandfather would communicate with Emmanuel via intergalactic transmission logs, and inspire him to never give up on his dreams.

Those stories and intergalactic transmissions from Mars have been replayed over and over by Emmanuel throughout his childhood and early adolescence as inspiration when he could one day follow in his family heritage. Emmanuel also spent his childhood reading a book given to him by his great-grandfather called the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, which enticed and motivated Emmanuel to want to seek the beyond.

His success as a researcher and engineer gave him the prowess to design his own private spaceship, called 发现 Discovery and form a group that today is known as A.I.R - the Association for Intergalactic Reconnaissance - with the goal of pushing the limits of space travel.

AIRlogo_zpst04scdba.png

Emmanuel's passion for the cosmos inspired several others to join A.I.R., including his future wife, Xanadu. Since the organization's inception in 2182, A.I.R. has traveled far beyond the limits of modern space travel, being the first to land on Saturn's Moon of Titan. Emmanuel and Xanadu led the mission with three of their A.I.R. colleagues; Sam Davis - a medical practitioner on the A.I.R. space missions, Maggie Wright, a chemical engineer and former pilot, and Tom Edson, an astro-paleo-botonist.. After the monumental landing and return from Titan, A.I.R set their sights on cracking the code of hyperspace travel by breaking the time dilution that light years of space travel takes.

However, tragedy struck the campaign as during a test run of the new Aries rockets Emmanuel had been working on. The main hydrocarbon engine fuel started to leak and spark. For the crew to escape, one of the members needed to stay behind to make sure the rocket landed in an uninhabited zone. Against Emmanuel's wishes, Xanadu stayed behind as the rest of the crew was able to escape.The crushing lost almost deterred Emmanuel from A.I.R and space travel all together, though he knew Xanadu would want him and A.I.R to continue the quest for new discoveries.

Nevertheless, After one of their long-range telescopes picked up a potentially habitable planet in the Atlas Star System, 2.5 light years away, Planet X171. Emmanuel Wu regained inspiration as continued his pursuit of discovery as Xanadu would have wanted. A.I.R sent orbiters to the planet to research its contents and determine if it was a habitable planet.

Their scanners brought back the following information:

KXCbKIY.png

Computer: "Scanners have determined that this planet is very much like Earth atmospheric wise...however there are the aspects you should be aware of if you venture to the planet - also be warned that you'll need to break the hyper-speed barrier or this trip will take several years"

With this knowledge, A.I.R. set off on the most daring mission of mankind, to break the limitations of modern space crafts, travel through hyperspace, and land on a planet in a different galaxy...

Chapter 2 - The Adventure

In the months prior to the opening of the new land, Disney released a comic series called The Adventures of A.I.R depicting in detail the organization's history, resurgence, and pursuit of space exploration. Below is the final issue of the comic book series, in which A.I.R travels through hyperspace and lands on the new planet.

THE ADVENTURES OF A.I.R.
Volume 7 - Series Finale

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Chapter 3 - The Discoveries
Once the team landed on Planet Xanadu, they explored far and wide on the alien planet, and recorded their findings via transmission logs, as generations of explorers had done before them. Below are the transmission logs from the team - which end on a promising note for the people of Earth and Tomorrowland!

Chapter 4 - The Age of Xanadu
With the discovery of the wormhole acting as a portal to Tomorrowland, Xanadu will be open to the public at Shangai Disneyland!

Land Overview:

This location was chosen specifically because it offered the largest expansion space on property (without demolishing the bus/tram area) and is right next to Tomorrowland to tie in with the "futuristic" theme. Much like Adventure Isle/Treasure Cove as well as Gardens of Imagination/Fantasyland, the Tomorrowland/Xanadu transition is seamless and the story connects well with one other.

Zoomed in view...
24690459945_6166fd5c93_z.jpg

The A.I.R. Museum
The A.I.R. Museum was founded by Emmanuel Wu soon after colonists started arriving on Xanadu. He created it so newcomers would be able to experience the history of A.I.R. and why it came to be. You can also find displays in the museum about indigenous life on Xanadu as well as the colonies on Titan and Mars. You then proceed to enter...the wormhole.

Wormhole
As you wind around the A.I.R. Museum you discover the portal from Earth to Xanadu and you approach what looks like a wormhole straight out of science fiction. You step onto a giant moving walkway surrounded by lights, lasers, projections, and galaxies galore as you go whizzing past them in your approach to Xanadu. Aside from the moving walkway, there is also the option to walk, however the experience is best suited when you are standing still and gazing around at the magnificent achievement of inter-dimensional travel.

You then enter the land of Xanadu...

planetpic_zpsncujr1ut.jpg

The Colony
After arriving on Xanadu through the wormhole, you step out onto the alien world and see the A.I.R. colony to your right. Inside the colony you can find an eclectic variety of activities...from an eatery designed by Sam Davis himself, to a gift-shop where you can bring home some of the magic of Xanadu, and finally a guest services/restroom facility as accommodation. It's all waiting for you at the Colony!

Davis Plaza
A quick service dining location offering some of the favorite items from Sam Davis of the A.I.R. team.

Menu
Chow Mein Noodles
Low Mein Noodles
Noodle Soup

Kung Pao Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Chicken & Broccoli
Chicken Fried Rice

All Chicken options available fried or grilled, and come with white or brown rice. Tofu available upon request

Atlas Constellations
Step inside this quaint location that offers guests a unique variety of memorabilia from Xanadu. Among the options are: exotic plants including Aquilegia anacardium from the Decoris Canyon, parts of the planet's rock formation, as well as a wide assortment of "A.I.R." clothing and equipment.

Journey to the Lavender Moon

Synopsis:

Travel to the Lavender Moon of Xanadu on a mission to retrieve a plutonic igneous rock for experimental testing. Be warned though, that you are venturing out to new territory, and it's unknown what...or who...you may run into along the way.

Queue:
You enter through one of the colonized areas of Xanadu, where the A.I.R. members had assembled a space telescope to gaze out at the surrounding stars. You enter through the laboratory and notice that the mission log for today is to travel to the Lavender Moon, the largest moon of Xanadu. Passing through the rest of the laboratory, you see a transmission from the Aries rocket orbiting the planet. Emmanuel Wu comes online and greets the guests.

Dr. Wu: "Welcome A.I.R. enthusiasts. It's so exciting that you made the expedition to visit our colony and we are so glad to share this discovery with you. Today's mission is to discovery this rock - called Secretous787 - which by our tests and analysis, is unique to the Lavender Moon. We haven't found this rock formation on any other planet or moon we have visited in the past, and we'd like to do some tests on it and maybe it could be valuable for the people of Earth and Tomorrowland, as some of our other discoveries have been.

You'll be traveling in this custom designed Space Pod - specialized to break Xanadu's atmosphere and pilot around the moon. You'll need to be split up into teams for this quest and for that I will turn you over to Dr. Wright who will describe what your tasks are"

Dr. Wright: "When you enter your pods, you will notice specialized dashboards in from of each of your seats. You will have to work as a team in order to complete this mission. One of you will pilot the pod throughout, another engage liftoff, another will ensure the shield is deployed, and lastly one of you will deploy the landing gear. Your pods are uniquely designed by Dr. Wu himself to ensure safe travels for you space enthusiasts. Happy exploring and thanks for joining us for this mission!"

You depart the land and enter the liftoff zone beyond it. There you board your vehicles and prepare for your mission.

Ride Vehicle and Attraction Layout:

This attraction uses a brand new technology that merges a dark ride with a rollicking simulated thrill ride. As you travel along the track in your space pod (which seats 4 each) you are sent through a mesmerizing display of visuals including projection screens and physical sets that simulate a flight in outer-space and a voyage to the Lavender Moon.

(Click play for read-along attraction music...)

Ride-Through:

Dr. Wu: "Engage liftoff procedure Discovery 1."

Your vehicles swiftly ascend into the liftoff position at a 90 degree angle relative to the ground. You feel the force gravity pressing you back into your seat as you hear the countdown to ignition in the background. Your vehicles move up the chain and into the sky with projection screens 180 degrees surrounding you as the vehicle make its ascent. The ascent feels faster than it really is given that the screens around you are projecting visual stimuli such as the ground becoming smaller and the clouds becoming thinner.

You hear on your on-board audio from the control center monitoring your progress

Dr. Wright: "O2 stat 97%, cabin pressure 1 atm, Nitrogen levels steady, prepare for hydrocarbonite engine boost and breaking of the atmosphere..."

Zoom...

You feel a thrust as your vehicle leaps over the incline and levels out in Xanadu orbit.

Dr. Wu: "Nice work in there. You can see us in orbit to your left...you're going to want to pilot the vehicle towards the planet, but be warned, the atmospheric pull of Xanadu might make the trip a bit bumpy"

You pilot the vehicle towards the Lavender moon as the projection screens around you create the sense of space travel and your vehicle stimulates turbulence by swaying and bumping along towards the planet.

Dr. Wright: "Excellent, now initiate the landing gea-....wait a minute....what's that coming towards you?

Ahead you see a bright light and a spaceship coming from the moon directly towards you and it fires a laser beam at you. Your vehicle sways to narrowly miss it...but the ship keeps coming closer and firing at your pod.

Dr. Wu: Abort mission! There's life on this moon...and they clearly don't want us here!

Bang...

Your space pod is hit and your vehicles spin 360 degrees around and dip towards the moon's surface...

Dr. Wu: You've been hit, quick, initiate the shields...forget the rocks you just need to get out of there!

Dr. Wright: They may not have enough fuel to last that long!!

You swerve in and out of the canyons of the moon as you are chased down by the extra-terrestrials who inhabit the moon...large, steep curves left and right give you the sensation of flying through the moon in a desperate attempt to escape.

Dr. Wu: You're going to need to need to activate the turbine engines!

Dr. Wright: But that's never been tested!

Dr. Wu: Well it will be now, those people are in danger...

You continue to fly across the alien landscape in a visceral display of projections and physical sets and on-board audio which put you right in the center of an other-worldly adventure as you fly around this moon to escape with your life.

Dr. Wright: Activating the turbine engines....now!

Dr. Wu: Hang on everyone!

Your vehicle thrusts forward and spirals up and away from the surface of the moon, evading capture from the inhabitants. The stars surround you as your vehicle soars through the atmosphere and makes a direct path back to Xanadu. In a last ditch effort, your landing procedure is initiated and you tip down at a 90 degree angle back to the landing platform and laboratory....

Dr. Wright: They made it...

Dr. Wu: Goodness...well that was certainly a quest for the ages...glad you all made it back in one piece. There was definitely something on the Lavender Moon....but maybe it's best to keep those things a mystery. Hopefully now you can see how unpredictable an adventure can be....thanks for flying with us...and enjoy the rest of your time on Xanadu.

Guests exit the launch platform and head towards the planet surface once more.

The Voyage to Sivad

Queue:
Guests first find themselves going under a large sign that looks like a giant solar panel arch-like structure reading “The Voyage to Sivad.”

Directly after going through the sign, guests enter the queue area of the attraction; which is distinctly noticeable by clever use of sculpted “space rock” and rod fencing themed as “energy poles” for the A.I.R. founded colony (More can be found out about energy poles in the colony’s museum).

The interactive queue features interactive space “droids“ that can be used to view and drive exploration of the planet’s sources, but be careful! You may spot some solo space explorers in remote areas of the planet trying to find Sivad, the most valuable resource found on the planet, said to make each person who finds a new supply the richest man in the galaxy. Sivad is a green/yellowish sandstone like substance with a purple illumination surrounding the rock, some Sivad can even be shown though the queue (in limited amounts under top care, of course).

Depending how long the queue is, may even find you experiencing some “fun” on the planet with “break-time drone races” the explorers and scientists have adopted to keep them occupied near the site.​

After going through the queue you enter inside one of these amazing rock formations (Show Building scene begins). Inside these rock formations seems to be a pathway to a hidden forest in the planet, with towering odd shaped rock formations that seem to only be held by gravity. This is a major surprise to guests, considering greenery is limited in the land they experienced just minutes ago. Another surprise to guests is that it has suddenly become moonset on the planet’s surface – A bizarrely beautiful sky that showcases luminous greens and purples, with stars accenting the dark, black night sky.

Visitors would then walk across an odd bridge made out of the trees in the dense forest. This moves guests over a swiftly moving, neon-blue river that runs through the forest. On the other side of the river, they would look to see a camp formed by A.I.R. colony members (This serves as the attractions load / unload area), and one of the projection screens from the camp shows the mission at hand.

Load/Unload:
FUqhYXN.png

Load/Unload Concept Art

The narrator is Tom Edson - an astro-paleo-botonist, extra-terrestrial animal specialist, and founding A.I.R. member - who greets you as you board:

Narrator: "Greetings fellow explorers! We're pleased to offer you this adventure into the uncharted landscape of this exotic world."

Guests board boats that are suitable for plasma travel that would take them downstream for the moonlit expedition to the treasures of Xanadu.

Scene 1
After guests board the boats, the river bends to a beautiful forest and desert landscape; yellow clouds can be seen slowly moving in the night sky. You start to see strange plant-life, which almost acts like animals, as your boats travel along. Soon enough, your boats move up the raging, colorful, plasma waterfall ahead.​

Scene 2
Narrator: "Wouldn't it be great if there was a way we could actually Communicate with these spectacular animals? You know, I can almost hear they can mimic our sounds now."

The guests hear various musical sounds, coming from planets and wildlife surrounding them. As the boat turns another bend, they see an audio animatronic creature called a Trakertops that looks to be part-ram and part-elephant. This animal is strumming some sort of plant creature with a guitar like sound.

The Trakertops then sings to guests the opening verse of the "Voyager’s Riches" song, a song heard throughout their expedition in the attraction. What makes this opening scene of the ride particularly funny is - just across the river - a quartet of explorers, seeming to go on their own search, have run into their own troubles with the rest of the pact from the singing creature, they seem to be up a pointed space rock, with the Trakertops waiting for them to come down to make a “point” to their search.

Scene 3
As the boat continued along, riders would pass a various other creatures- where other AA alien animals will sing the song’s chorus. As they headed downriver, they'd also see plants and nature play along in time with the music..

Soon, you start to hear another transcription come though from the Narrator on the boat.

Narrator: The landscapes on this side of the planet are just beautiful. The wildlife only makes this area more unique! But be warned, even the most beautiful dream can turn into an overwhelming nightmare.

Scene 4
Two giant lizard like creatures called Septaurs would sit on a space rock on the left side of the river, forming an X between the two. Below them lays human bones. The Septaurs turn to track the boat - and its passengers - as they head downriver. Flora also starts to slowly turn from vibrate colors, to a pitch black.

Narrator: Be on your guard! Your all heading into Indigenous territory on this planet, and I got a tip that they aren’t very fond of the colony searching for their resources!

Scene 5
Around the next bend of the river, guests start to see a group of Indigenous warriors raiding a moving, Space Rover crew. This crew seemed to have their own treasures acquired from the planet. But it seems like their lucky strike won’t be alive to long.

Thankfully, the warriors are so busy extracting the Space Rover’s explorers from their treasures that they don't have the time to attack the boat travelers. But - as they sing to the guests in the boats as they drift on the waters - the warriors sing that they will come around another bend.

Narrator: I just discovered on the Location device that the two main alien settlements are at war with each other, so be careful!

Scene 6
Narrator: "We are entering Decoris Canyon - home to the Ritaki tribe. The tribe is notorious for their colorful displays but also their fierce competition with the Lupica tribe further on. Let's continue with caution...but to your right you can see Ritaki tribe illuminate the night with their tapestries and garments."

You sail on further through the Decoris Canyon and veer to the right as you enter a new scene.

Scene 7
Narrator: "It looks like the Lupica tribe is invading...I'm not sure what they want...but we better get out of here before we are caught in the crossfire!"

The boats sway to the left as a the Ritaki tribe and their colorful tapestries engage with the Lupica tribe in the distance as you make your escape out of Decoris Canyon

Scene 8
As the boat floats out of the lines of fire, guests start to hear the sound of drums and voices coming up.

Narrator: This is bad…You're starting to enter a spirit ceremony for the gods of Xanadu! Watch out! Some strange things had been known to happen at these type of events…

As the boat comes around the next turn in the river – guests see below them on the right that a whole group is dancing around a crystal fire. Loud drums, swinging axes, musical instruments, these natives go the nine yards awaken to the gods of Xanadu.

The dance works and the spirit of “Rialb”, the goddess of misfortune, awakens and appears In the smoke of the crystal fire. As an odd occurrence, Green Thunder and Lightning crash the sky. A stray lightening bolt strikes a tree in the forest that now flanks the river. That tree burst into flame. That fire then quickly spreads to several other trees in the forest. As guests continue down river, they now found themselves floating in the middle of a raging forest fire with smoke surrounding them. The plasma in the river seems to moving faster and feels considerably rougher than earlier in their journey.

Scene 9/Finale
Narrator: There’s a dock that we’ve already established up ahead! We have to have to get you off the boat! The- (Static then breaks the rest of the communication as we hear the laugh of the goddess we’ve been introduced to earlier)

Of course, to add to the trouble, we see up ahead that the indigenous warriors have caught up with us, though they aren’t singing, they’re serious. Their weapons are pointed directly at guests in the boat, as the head warrior states. “A hand for your situation for our hand at your treasures.”

When, of course, people seem reluctant to hand over their belongings, the lead warrior laughs and says: "Then face the wrath of Rialb as you plummet the falls!"

An effect though the mist in front of the falls shows the goddess of Rialb coming though a mystic portal of sorts, almost to be beckoning the boat to the falls. The boat wobbles at the top of the cascades for a second ... then zips down toward the pointed rocks below.

Even though things looked bleak, all guests survive the voyage down the waterfall. The boat zips briefly back out into the edge of the main base for the Colony, before the current from the plasma river drives the boat back into the massive forest (show building) where the guests exit their boat.

Nightlife of Xanadu

Decoris Canyon
Sprawling the surface and towering 40 ft into the air is the Decoris Canyon. Seen from the original A.I.R. orbital data, Decoris Canyon is a beautiful, yet mysterious place. it's been identified that there are other inhabitants on Xanadu, and while we still haven't communicated with them, beware of entering their territory as you never known what you may find within...

Tapestry of Galaxies
Welcome one and all! Welcome to a celebration of curiosity! Discovery! Wonder! Welcome to the Tapestry of Galaxies! On certain nights, your trek through the canyons are met with a dazzling display of colorful garments and tapestries from the Rataki tribe, that only the imagination could create.

An overwhelming orchestrated soundtrack begins to play.

Unit 1 - Ancient Astonishment

Sage of Space : As far back as the Roklins, Encos, and even Graaks the stars and planets played a role in their society. Their curiosity of the stars had been deemed as one thing; gifts from the gods.

The first drum float rolls into view. On the sides of the drum will be various constellations. These constellations will be lit by fiber optics, and will seem to be made of real stars. Riding along this float will be two performers in a toga with alien features on their faces banging on various drum pads on the actual rotating drum.

Several puppets follow the drum. They will Incan masks with alien features for their face, and their wings will be adorned with glowing stars. After three of those puppets a large puppet invoking an appearance similar to Mama Kilya.

Unit 2 - World Wonderment

Sage of Space : As time went so did the curiosity of the humans. The Chenoco found a way to 'capture' the stars in, fireworks. The Urbs created the astrolabe, a tool used to track the position of the stars, and other celestial objects. Sailors used the North Star to navigate. The galaxy has helped the way we live through keeping track of time to even navigation.

A new piece of music goes into the background of the theme with an oceanic sea shanty vibe now emitting from the music.

The next drum float comes into view. On the sides of the drum fireworks going off via fiber optics. Riding along this float will be two performers in traditional Ancient Chinese apparel with an alien twist banging on various drum pads on the actual rotating drum.

Following the drum will a puppet covered in blue silk. The blue silk represents the seas, and the puppet itself seems to be holding the North Star. Behind it is several Sprite puppets made of various sades of blue silk. Which together all seem to form a roving ocean guided by the North Star holding puppet.

Unit 3 - Space Race

Sage of Space : As hundreds of years went by so did the innovations of various species. Humans figured out ways to travel into space, and landed on Xanadu. While the people of Xanadu split into two; the Ritaki and Lupica tribes.

A new piece of music goes into the background of the theme with a beat of something one would expect to hear from Native American instruments.

The next drum float comes into view. On the sides of the drum rockets seem to fly by, and their fire glows via fiber optics. Riding along this float will be two performers in spacesuits like Wu's banging on various drum pads on the actual rotating drum.

Following the drum are a massive number of eight puppets. Four of them resemble the Ritaki, and the other four resemble the Lupica. They seem to be "fighting", but in reality they're just dancing. Following them is a puppet resembling Abra; the mother of all gods and godesses, and one of the few spiritual beings the two tribes share. Her costume will seem to made of the cosmos.​

Unit 4 - Xanadu

Sage of Space : As time goes by one thing is on the mind of everyone, peace on Xanadu.

The original theme of this parade returns with no additional songs with it.

The next drum float comes into view. On the sides of the drum comets seem to fly by, and their tails glow via fiber optics. Riding along this float will be two performers in Ritaki apparel banging on various drum pads on the actual rotating drum.

Following the drum is the most amount of puppets yet. Puppets representing all three humanoid populations on Xanadu are represented. It will be grand, and wondrous. It'll be something one would have to see themselves to understand the detail and grandness of the puppets.

Sage of Space : Now as our parade comes to close I wish to all of you a farewell. Enjoy Xanadu, and all it's natural beauty. Be curious and discover the wonders of Xanadu. So for now goodbye.

Nighttime Projections
Each night, the stars beyond the Lavender Moon dazzle guests with LED projections in the sky, synchronized to music. Watch this breathtaking display of astronomy as constellations from the Atlas Star System light up and tell the history of Xanadu's solar system.

Shows begin at 9:30 PM CST and 10:30 PM CST nightly.

Chapter 5 - A New Beginning

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

2qmexpj.png

Yangtze Harbor
aka "Stiltsville"

This was easily the hardest assignment we've had thus far this season on TSI. Between grueling personal schedules on the part of everyone in the team and struggling to come up with an expansion to a park not even open to the public yet, this was a rough one to formulate ideas for.

Fortunately we here at Team Blairozah through heavy research into Chinese mythology have come up with a new land overflowing with rich backstory and tiny hidden details. Yangtze Harbor; named after one of the largest rivers in Asia, will take thematic cues from Thunder Mesa at Disneyland Paris. The land will be centered around an eccentric character who happens to own a mansion in which strange and supernatural occurrences have become the source of urban legend...

That's right, basing an entire land around the backstory of the park's resident "Haunted Mansion" attraction was so successful in Paris were doing it again, with some major changes to make this stand out and in no way be a copy of what's come before.

The first major change is setting. The ascetics of an old west mining operation will be entirely absent. Instead, Yangtze Harbor will be themed around a fictitious small but eclectic fishing village on the outskirts of Shanghai. The fishing industry is one of the biggest markets in Shanghai, so these kinds of towns are not uncommon along China's riverbanks. What's unique about Yangtze Harbor is the fact that the town's mayor happens to be a demigod...and the town itself rests right on the portal between the mortal world and the spiritual realms.

With this basic concept nailed down and a central focus on a 21st century "Haunted Mansion" trackless E Ticket tying the entire land together, we at Blairozah proudly invite you to explore the fabled shores of Yangtze Harbor.

Backstory

Back in the 1800s, Yangtze Harbor was one of the most bustling porting towns along China's river ways. The town was situated at the base of a looming mountain which had a bizarre mansion literally built into the side. This oddity of architecture had been around for as long as towns people could remember, and as far as they knew it was entirely abandoned. It quickly became known as "The Mountainous Mansion".

Soon, the town became plagued by strange occurrences which many chalked up to the work of whatever spirits haunted the now infamous mountainous mansion. One by one companies stopped shipping to the town due to a long string of bad luck and injuries associated with docking at the harbor.

The town had adopted the nickname of "Stiltsville" due to a large portion of the main street being a boardwalk with long ancient wooden supports hoisting the buildings up from the waters below. Soon the memories of a thriving Yangtze Harbor faded into myth and all that remained was the graffiti-laden skeleton that "Stiltsville" had become, abandoned in its own right.

That all changed in the year 1967 when rich eccentric Tai Sassoon docked in the remnants of Stiltsville and started a massive reconstruction of the shipping town to restore it to the long since forgotten glory days.

The town was still mostly supported on the titular stilts, but a more urban shopping area was constructed along the edges of the forest which bordered the large mountain. Sassoon took up residence within the infamous mansion carved into the mountain's side and naturally raised to prominence as the beloved mayor of the reformed Yangtze Harbor.

As the decades wore on, members of the town began to notice that Sassoon's appearance remained largely the same, and as the new century approached he still looked like the same wide-eyed young man that had restored the town in the sixties. Wild stories began to circulate that Sassoon himself was one of the spirits that had once haunted the town in its historical days.

While the occasional supernatural phenomenon would be experienced by various shop owners such as floating furniture and disembodied voices, there was not a single accidental death or injury associated with the town...which was the thing that caused it to be abandoned all those years ago. While Yangtze Harbor most definitely remained soaked in myth, the supernatural elements became more like Gravity Falls style quirks than Ammityville style horrors.

Sassoon himself had faded into myth until he one day all of China was rocked by the announcement that he was opening up the Mountainous Mansion for guided tours. And that, my humble readers, is where our tale begins...

General layout
Much like Paradise Pier, guests can approach Yangtze Harbor from either the east or west side of the land. The overall visual approach is designed to give a "wow" moment of walking up to the land and seeing the main section of the town entirely supported by the stilts. The entire land will be constructed on top of a large underground structure which will serve as the main showbuilding for the "Mountainous Mansion" E Ticket, but will be entirely hidden by the iconic visual of the stilts. Several authentic Chinese merhcant ships will be docked along the harbor further completing the illusion. The ships will serve as the main visual entryway and partially block the "Stilts" which are revealed once you walk past the first set of them. A large lighthouse serves as a central visual.

stormalong_by_rquack.jpg

The main "Stiltsville" part of the land will mostly be an immersive environment while the E Ticket is located at the far corner, much in the same way Radiator Springs Racers resides at the edge of Cars Land. Sharp eyed guests will notice objects appearing to move on their own as they walk through the boardwalk. Old graffiti reading "Stiltsville" can also be seen marking the buildings.

The lighthouse will serve as a table service restaraunt called "Sassoon's" which will have a seafood focused menu with emphasis on authentic "catch of the day" options. The interior will be designed all around the revamped town's founding member, who's portrait looms over the main dining hall's fire place.

Sassoon takes on the appearance of a young Chinese man of above average height dressed in a striking blue silk suit, carrying a cane, and sporting a trademark pencil-thin mustache.

At the edge of the harbor is a large forced perspective mountain which stands about 75 feet high. As you might expect, there is an incredibly old looking mansion that looks literally carved and built into the side. This will be a secondary "wow" visual moment moving through the land.
The Mountainous Mountain

Taking on an apperance unlike any other Haunted Mansion throughout the world, The Mountainous Mountain promises to be the most thrilling and large scale version of the classic attraction yet. It will take some cues from known Haunted Mansion lore but almost entirely create a new story around it which fleshes out the character of Tai Sassoon and the mysteries of Yangtze Harbor.

The queue takes guests along the edges of the mountain where they take in just how ancient looking this structure is. The mansion is made of a combination of aging clay and wood which has long since been stained and rotted by the harsh storms of the sea. The queue also takes you through a cave which shows that the mansion's exterior structure stretches into the actual mountain.

Once inside the stretching room is where the changes start. Guests see portraits of the legendary "Eight Immortals" a real central point to Chinese mythology.

eight-immortals2.jpg

As the portraits stretch, thunder strikes and we see flashes of Chinese demons appear on each of the portraits, an ominous warning of what's to come.

The loading area is a strange half constructed room which bleeds out into a cave system serving as the first scene. As mentioned before, the ride vehicles will be trackless and will take on a vague appearance of paper lanterns. There will be eight scenes, each focusing on a Immortal squaring off against the dark forces of Chinese mythology.

Chinese_dragon_demon_by_akreon.jpg

spectre.jpg

im33.jpg

With the trackless system in place, each ride will have guests travel through a randomized five out of the eight rooms. The rooms themselves will all be iconic Haunted Mansion locations such as the ballroom, Senance chamber, library, attic, and conservatory. The twist is due to the unique nature of the mansion's design, riders will be constantly going in between regularly constructed rooms and hallways which appear to blend right into the cavernous realms of the mountain the mansion is buried in. It will be a state of the art blend of iconic and brand new like nothing you've ever seen!

The grand finale of the attraction will be the classic fixture of any trackless dark ride...the "circular" room where a number of cars spin around a central scene. The honeypot from Pooh's Honey Hunt is a perfect example. This time what we see is a large scale battle in the middle of the mountain (at this point completely cut off from the structure of the mansion...) with Tai Sassoon in the center of it. He is helping the Eight Immortals ward off the evil spirits...evil spirits that have long since plagued the shores of Yangtze Harbor.

This is where the entire story of the land comes full circle. It is revealed that Sassoon died in one of the accidents during the dark periods of the harbor's history. He made a prayer to the immortals to grant him a second chance at life, and in turn he would serve them in trying to ward off the evil spirits which haunted the town and were threatening to burst though the spiritual underworld and wreck havock on all of China.

Sassoon's public persona has been Willy Wonka-like. Eccentric to be sure, but always having a Chesire Cat style grin plastered upon his face. The real story was that he was locked in an ongoing battle with the spirits of the underworld. The mansion itself serves as the gateway to the underworld...yes in some ways a literal portal to hell.

To be clear, the mountain shadowing over the harbor is the actual portal to the underworld, the mansion constructed into the side acts as a conduit for the spirits to make contact. The question then becomes...Who built the mansion in the first place, and what were their true intentions? This is a mystery that will be left up to the guest's imaginations.

And that concludes our trip through the first Shanghai Disneyland expansion. As was stated in the project prompt, we focused almost entirely on coming up with an engaging backstory which flowed through the entire land. While I'll completely admit the actual Haunted Mansion write up isn't the most well put together or thought out, we hope the fleshed out backstory and unique visual elements of the land, from the boardwalks of "Stiltsville" district to the soon to be famous Mountainous Mansion, bring together a complete picture of one of the most ambitious feats of storytelling told through Imagineering ever attempted.

RMichael21

Original Poster
Critiques

Lassetoki
@tcool123, @Sam4D23, @MonorailRed, @Ranky64, @spacemt354 and @Flippin'Flounder

Outstanding project this week Lassetoki! Let's go through your proposal and pick it apart. First of all, I liked the idea of splitting the stories into chapters, as I found it a very neat way to organize everything. As for your story, I found it great! One thing I did find was that you used the United Nations... But this is 150 years from now. Is the United Nations still the way it is today? How has the world changed from now, until then? Other than that, I found your story EXTREMELY engaging and fun to read. However, while the comic visuals were nice, they seemed extremely unnecessary to the story of the land, to be honest. Next, I LOVED how you incorporated the story into Shanghai Disneyland. Nowadays, I feel like lands are just there without explanation as to how they actually got there. But, I was really intrigued by the wormhole part of your backstory. However, one thing I am concerned about is how this land would transition to Fantasyland. It seems like a very contrasting transition, in my opinion. In addition, another worry about the wormhole is crowd control. How will the thousands of people who come in droves to see this brand new land be able to fit onto that one moving walkway and how will the walkway move slow enough to explain/establish the story for guests when it would need to move faster in order to keep up with the continuous stream of people? A final point on the wormhole is the fact that people could very easily get sick looking at all of those lights swirling around them. ;):p Moving on, I really liked Journey to the Lavender Moon. A really nice ride. And, the ride system was great too, but a little more detail on how the "rollicking" system would work would have been nice. The ride itself was fantastic as well. Also, The Voyage to Sivad was outstanding as well. A very nice and well done ride. It created a nice balance between a more thrilling dark ride and a calm boat ride. In addition, I was kind of confused as to what Tapestry of Galaxies was... Is it a parade? You used the word units, but I have no idea what it really was, to be honest. Finally, I'm somewhat confused on how you would achieve that star effect, some more detail would have been nice. Another point is: I honestly believe that this would have made a GREAT indoor land. 1) To protect guests from any air pollution and 2) It would have made for a great atmosphere. Overall, SPECTACULAR proposal Lassetoki!

Blairozah
@Perry2x2, @IAmNotAHufflepuff, @JokersWild, @Matt7187, @IDInstitute and @TheOriginalTiki

Great concept Blairozah! Let's see how you did. First of all, I LOVE the idea of a Haunted Mansion land, and especially a Chinese version. It's a great idea. However, it's an extremely overused idea, to be honest. Chinese mythology in the Asian parks (and every other Disney park in general) has been brought up time and time again during Blue-sky processes like this because of the fact that it's such a great idea. Moving past that, I honestly love the idea of a small fishing town, it's a very interesting concept. However, the focus during this challenge was the story. I honestly wish that you had focused more on the story, as I would have loved even more detail than what was already there. As for your descriptions, I noticed that you compared your land to various examples within other parks. While that helps create a visual, I really want your concepts to stand on their own. A map would have been really nice. My main flaw with the attraction itself is that you took Haunted Mansion, added Chinese culture and mythology and changed around a few things like the ride system and layout and then had a ride. I would have liked to see a Haunted Mansion inspired ride, but with completely different means of storytelling that distanced themselves from the format (i.e. stretching room, different rooms of a house). Overall, great concept!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Well, we officially suck.
Oh, come on. No you don't. You guys put out an excellent project and if it weren't for a few people really stepping up on our team...we would have been in the exact same boat as you scheduling-wise.

Plus...we were slightly motivated to "avenge" our Downtown Disney "win" in Challenge 2;):D - hence our team's avatar changes!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom