Disney's Hollywood Studios Streets of America character meet and greets to close Jan 2016

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The whole area from Mama Melrose to LMA is going to be the staging area for the first phase of construction, which will most likely be the clearing of the marsh land for the construction access roads and then possible parking lot work as well as, potentially, some SW work where the parade facilities are now.

Personally, I think we're still a year away from any work on the actual SW Land, at least. You'll know when it's beginning when you hear a closing date for Indy and most everything else around Echo Lake (Frozen Ever After, 50s Prime time, etc.).

The area designated for staging is perfect because, besides the theater, it's completely void of major structures and puts them within easy access of the roads and the area where the first part of construction will begin.

That is, besides TSL, where construction will be going on at the same time.

I doesn't make sense to me that this would be a staging area for the work, since that work would be taking place on the other side of Studio Dr.

Bolt

True, but both they and Cars are still popular and provide some life to an otherwise dead area. Can't be a coincidence that they're suddenly closing with the end of the lights. I assume this will mean the end of SoA completely, but others are suggesting they won't be affected. And with no announcement for LMA, it only confuses things further. Just trying to figure it all out, but at least it appears things might get started soon.
Cars almost never had a person in line.

Biff215

Gotcha. It is a hard to find location for the average guest. And with so little open in that area of the park, even stumbling upon it is unlikely. We visited it last summer and waited about 10 minutes in line.

Imagineerwannabe

Gotcha. It is a hard to find location for the average guest. And with so little open in that area of the park, even stumbling upon it is unlikely. We visited it last summer and waited about 10 minutes in line.

I always felt like these meet and greets were an after thought and largely ignored and forgotten about in these areas, not that well publicised really and honestly even when I've been in the area and seen no queue lines I never bothered with the M&G.

Ignohippo

I doesn't make sense to me that this would be a staging area for the work, since that work would be taking place on the other side of Studio Dr.

The Studio Drive Entrance days are numbered.

Honestly though, I'm not sure why it wouldn't just be easier to demolish the parade storage buildings and put the staging there. Only thing I can think is that area may be one of the first actual construction zones. It's certainly part of the SW expansion plot.

The area they're closing isn't very big. It might just be for the office trailers, etc.

Last edited:

Ignohippo

Yes, but that's a ways off. They are building a temporary entrance from Osceola to allow for the construction entrance, so I doubt they would close it until the new entrance from Victory and Osceola is open.

I don't know that they'll wait until the new road is ready to close that entrance. They wouldn't close it in the summer, but we're going into the off-season now. Realistically, they could have that new entrance road open by summer if they really crank on it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't know that they'll wait until the new road is ready to close that entrance. They wouldn't close it in the summer, but we're going into the off-season now. Realistically, they could have that new entrance road open by summer if they really crank on it.

I doubt it, they haven't even submitted the SFWMD permits for it yet. I also don't think they would bother with the alteration to the current entrance if the new one was going to be done short term.

roj2323

Maybe the wait is for, you know . . . actual construction. ;)
So the removal of the hat, the construction of the new theater next to rockin rollercoaster and the 3rd track for Toy story don't count as construction? How about the active permits for the complete remodeling of the parking lot entry?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So the removal of the hat, the construction of the new theater next to rockin rollercoaster and the 3rd track for Toy story don't count as construction? How about the active permits for the complete remodeling of the parking lot entry?

... and a permit to start clearing land for the new fireworks launch area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
By "alteration" you mean the new road, correct? That doesn't mean the entrance couldn't be closed for a few months during the off-season.

No, I am talking about these changes to accommodate the construction access road.

Capture.JPG

Ignohippo

No, I am talking about these changes to accommodate the construction access road.

View attachment 125199

Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen that one.

I was told that entrance would be closing for awhile, but not sure why it would be necessary with the plans you've attached. I dunno. We'll see. Perhaps it will be closing for the construction of the bridge?

And what's the point of having the new construction entrance road and World Drive entrance connect? Any thoughts?

Kevin_W

I remember a couple years ago visiting WDW during "Long Lost Friends Week" and meeting the 3 little pigs, robin hood, and others. Perhaps in a few years, they'll host the event again and P&F will become long lost friends.

DancerJonathan

I remember a couple years ago visiting WDW during "Long Lost Friends Week" and meeting the 3 little pigs, robin hood, and others. Perhaps in a few years, they'll host the event again and P&F will become long lost friends.
P&F still meet on Disney Cruise Sailings. But as they always say. Entertainment is subject to change.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen that one.

I was told that entrance would be closing for awhile, but not sure why it would be necessary with the plans you've attached. I dunno. We'll see. Perhaps it will be closing for the construction of the bridge?

And what's the point of having the new construction entrance road and World Drive entrance connect? Any thoughts?

Yeah, that is an odd arrangement there. Maybe they are going to use the access road as a bypass for guest traffic when they tie the new Osceola ramp.

roj2323

Yeah, that is an odd arrangement there. Maybe they are going to use the access road as a bypass for guest traffic when they tie the new Osceola ramp.
The access road may be marked for construction traffic but it appears there will be a guard shack and a bypass to the existing guest entry point. this is why the roadway is divided and there's an off shoot. Having worked at studios I know there has been talk and desire for an alternate entrance to backstage areas so i really would not be surprised to see this entrance become a permeant fixture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom