DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ToTBellHop

Or we're just mistaken about where Star Wars land is going… Or what's happening to Muppets… Or any number of things honestly
We are not. It covers Indy and expands into the parking lot. Perhaps you'll agree when clearing begins on the first parking garage in the near term. Today's announcement implies more is coming.

"...experiences coming to the park, including the recently announced Toy Story Land and a Star Wars-themed land, we will not be able to present The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights in the future. Our heartfelt thanks go out to the family of Jennings Osborne for letting us share their family tradition year after year. And thank you to all of you for being part of the spectacle with us. Here’s to making more memories in this, the 20th and final year."

SYRIK2000

Or we're just mistaken about where Star Wars land is going… Or what's happening to Muppets… Or any number of things honestly

I wouldn't surprise me if they run it length-wise from Indy to LMA. Clearly they are expecting SOA to be gone by next holiday season. So that may be indicating direction of SWL. Of course Muppets on not on the planet in the concept art.

Brian Swan

I think is is a major factor. Based on the concept art, it's pretty obvious where TSL will be going (mostly on "backstage" area not currently open to guests, so it actually IS an "expansion"). Disney has said nothing (at least to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge) about where SWL will be going. There have been many (possibly nhilistic) assumptions that it will wipe out the entire Echo Lake area, but do we KNOW that?

What's to say that ST won't be at the entrance to SWL and it will build back to the LMA, SoA and backlot tour areas (and possibly wrap around to the Indy area and into the parking lot). A crescent-shaped land actually makes for better story-telling than a large rectangular "chunk", because, paraphrasing Walt, you have the weenie at the end drawing you further into the story. If you look at almost every "land" in every park (FW being a notable exception), they are essentially linear. Carsland, often cited as the "best" land that Disney has created is an extreme example of this; a single perfectly straight street with the rockwork to draw you through. Hollywood Blvd - a straight street with the Chinese Theater to pull you through. Sunset Blve - a relatively straight street with ToT to pull you through. Echo Lake, although curved, is a single street with the Indy billboard and Gerti to pull you around, and then you see ST which pulls you through the rest of the loop. And in all of the above cases, shops, restaurants, and lesser attractions to keep you accupied and enhance your "immersive experience" as you pass through. Where does the design of DHS fall apart? When you get to SoA that has no linear flow and no major archetectural elements to draw you in/through (which makes sense as it was originally part of the tram tour and not an open pedestriam area).

I would think an ideal design would be to have ST right near the entrance to SWL, put one "e-ticket" roughly where Indy sits, the other roughly where LMA sits, and have a long. narrow, "land" connecting the two. And IF one of the 2 e-tickets should happen to be a coaster (a guy can hope, can't he?), there would be plenty of space in the Castrophy Canyon area to house it, and it would be largely unseen in the rest of the park And if rumors are true that the WDW and DL SWLs will be built on the same basic footprint, take a look at ToonTown; a large crescent-shaped land where you enter in the middle, have RR to pull you through in one direction, and the treehouse and coaster to pull you through in the opposite direction.

Yes, more speculation and "armchair Imagineering" - but isn't virtually everything we have regarding SWL - other than 2 pretty pictures and a few vague comments - just that?

doctornick

Yes. DAK upgrades begin 2016. AVATAR is slated for Spring 2017. TSL opens late 2017 and is largely marketed in 2018. Star Wars is purportedly being speed-tracked to 2019. If clearing starts in the backlot in late 2016, that would put phase 3 (Cars) at 2020. And MK's addition in 2021 for the 50th. Looks like WDW should grab DL's "get ready to be dazzled" banners before they are thrown out.

Plus there was something that was approved for Epcot to be build for $350M -- even if not a new attraction, should at least be a significant redo of something existing.

doctornick

I wouldn't surprise me if they run it length-wise from Indy to LMA. Clearly they are expecting SOA to be gone by next holiday season. So that may be indicating direction of SWL. Of course Muppets on not on the planet in the concept art.

I'd actually prefer they do that with the exception that I'd like to see them keep the Muppets in some capacity. But the transition from Hollywood Blvd would be much better by keeping Echo Lake and not starting SW until around the location of Indy. Also, that would allow them to keep Prime Time intact, which I'd like to see.

ctrlaltdel

Haven't been here in a while, so I had to catch up last night on all the new news. Nice to get some confirmation that something else is coming to DHS in addition to TSL and SWL. Also nice to hear that SWL is getting fast tracked. Hopefully the 3 lands will be done in 2021 in time for the 50th.

*Q*

Except for Springfield is IMO far superior to BttF. BttF script was beyond idiotic. Simpson's is clever and witty. And Simpson's now includes Moe's Tavern, Krusty Burger, Lard Lad's, Bumblebeeman's Taco Truck, Duff Gardensand Kang and Kodo's. All and all a far superior product to what BttF was.

I don't think that is quite a fair comparison, those are both products of entirely different eras of themed design and financial situations for Universal. If BTTF were to be built today, it would be with a whole Hill Valley area with the Courthouse as the centerpiece, surrounded by Lou's or Cafe 80s, Lone Pine/Courthouse Mall, Blast from the Past, etc., with an attraction that does much better honor to the movies (Doc would never make the knowledge of time travel public, teenage Biff couldn't figure out how to use the Time Machine, for example) and has a queue that maybe winds through Doc's mansion and garage, or a new home with his family that includes a big laboratory. Something like that.

pajammies

I'm trying to keep up with this thread, I promise I really am! But...
We are going in November, is there anything else that looks like it will be closing in the near future?
Wondering what I'm going to miss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom