Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kamikaze

Okay. I'll play because I'm bored. I'll even tag your partner in pessimism @ford91exploder.

What's the end game for Disney in this? What benefit do they get by not following through?

Where is the good PR in this in 5 or 7 years for them to cancel these plans? Not just here, but in the general public that this was reported to?

No compelling argument has been made for why this won't happen in some capacity other than some conspiratorial mumbo jumbo who's sole basis is "I don't like how Disney runs things".

You're reading far too deeply into my comment. It won't be in Orlando because WDW is in LBV/Bay Lake.

BrianLo

There would have been outrage if they'd said coming in 2022 DL and 2025 WDW...

I don't get why people are so insistent on exaggerating dates to make a point. The dates are 2019-2021. That is a long time, you don't need to use hyperbole though, let the prolonged timeline stand for itself.

It has never taken Disney much beyond 3 years to build anything discrete. Phasing their build timeline is not the same thing, but its own separate issue and a valid criticism of their recent practices. Inability to approve and finalize plans with green-lighted budgets is also a notorious issue.

The roughly 6 extra months they spend building their similar in scope projects to competitors is a minor complaint - in my opinion.

DisDan

Twitter user @Bengy4Ever is putting it out there that Disney is using the below ride system from Dynamic attractions in both Florida and California, presumably for Star Wars. The ride system looks like what I wanted to be used in Gringotts, but does anyone else have any insight here?

That is pretty damn cool. All sorts of possibilities with that ride system. Has just about every feature you could want out of a Dark Ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Twitter user @Bengy4Ever is putting it out there that Disney is using the below ride system from Dynamic attractions in both Florida and California, presumably for Star Wars. The ride system looks like what I wanted to be used in Gringotts, but does anyone else have any insight here?

You said "wanted to be used", what makes this different from what Gringotts did use? It seems pretty close to me.

*Q*

Could they possibly have chosen any more annoying music for that video?

RSoxNo1

You said "wanted to be used", what makes this different from what Gringotts did use? It seems pretty close to me.
No vertical drop or side drop would be the biggest things. The other things that Gringotts did use (seemingly the gyroscope and track tilt) really made the end game be very similar to Spiderman and Transformers. The vertical drop and side drop would have been differentiators.

WhatJaneSays

Apologies if this has already been pointed out, I'm 50 pages behind right now.....

But remind me when did HP open? Was it 2010 and 2014?

Disney probably won't even break ground on this until 2017 or 2018, then add a 5 year built time.
HP will have been open 15 years by the time this actually opens, goodness knows what Universal will have opened by then.

There a reason they didn't announce any dates for this. It's not happening soon.
There would have been outrage if they'd said coming in 2022 DL and 2025 WDW...yet do it this was and you drip feed the fans and built the excitement. If I remember right, didn't SW feature in D23 exactly two years ago? What do we have to show for that two years? A couple of concept art pieces which could have been knocked out by most competent designers in a week or two.

Excuse me for not getting excited, but I'd wait at least until this goes vertical before getting too excited.
Disney never, ever announces the dates a land/ride/parade/whatever will open until very close to that time, unless there’s an extremely good reason to do so (like, say, the start of Disneyland’s 60th anniversary celebrations or a 24 hour event).

A 5 year “build time” is fairly unlikely.

Provided trends continue I expect Star Wars land at WDW to break ground within the next 16-20 months, or even sooner, and have something/early phase open 24 to 32 months after that. A total project time, announce to final opening, of 4 ½ to 5 ½ years is well within reason and could even be an over estimate for this project. Previews or soft openings could happen as soon as the 2019 holiday season, but the entirety of the thing will likely be done and running before WDW’s 50th.

For D23 they wanted to have something for the “synergy” between the Disney and it’s new baby Lucasfilm. Much of Orange Harvest was a stump show and speculative with 1 or 2 elements starting to be fleshed out for this project we now know about. Putting an entire IP land on the board less than 3 years after acquiring it tells me that they probably started development for this the second the ink was dry on the contract and it’s been steadily chugging along ever since.

(Compare with Marvel that was acquired in 2009 and will receive a single ride at Hong Kong Disneyland in Fall 2016.)

Capsin4

I couldn't really conceptualize how a ride could effectively combine props and screens until I saw this. Verbolten at BG Williamsburg has a vertical drop...very mild but still interesting.

YodaMan

Related-ish, but Disney is casting for Jedi Training Academy the same week that they're casting for Launch Bay and the Villains Show. It says both "reimagined Jedi Training Academy" and "New Star Wars Show" in the same listing, so it looks like JTA is being modified but I can't really tell by how much. Either way, it looks like Entertainment is looking to add a lot to Studios all in the same general timeframe.

"Male and Female Actors for a new STAR WARS Show

Disney Parks and Talent Casting is seeking Actors for 2 roles in the reimagined Jedi Training Academy to be performed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios® at the Walt Disney World® Resort near Orlando, FL.

Performers employed by the Walt Disney World® Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a collective bargaining agreement with Actors' Equity Association."

ght

Related-ish, but Disney is casting for Jedi Training Academy the same week that they're casting for Launch Bay and the Villains Show. It says both "reimagined Jedi Training Academy" and "New Star Wars Show" in the same listing, so it looks like JTA is being modified but I can't really tell by how much. Either way, it looks like Entertainment is looking to add a lot to Studios all in the same general timeframe.

"Male and Female Actors for a new STAR WARS Show

Disney Parks and Talent Casting is seeking Actors for 2 roles in the reimagined Jedi Training Academy to be performed at Disney’s Hollywood Studios® at the Walt Disney World® Resort near Orlando, FL.

Performers employed by the Walt Disney World® Resort are covered under the terms and conditions of a collective bargaining agreement with Actors' Equity Association."
I read a rumor that the villain from the upcoming movie will be added to JTA, so it could be related to that.

FigmentJedi

In regards to whether Star Tours is staying or going, I feel like even if its sticking around for the expansion, they probably will ditch the current confused and inconsistent "Between PT and OT" setting. The attraction as-is ended up turning out to be too much of an immersion-breaker in various respects, not just within the ride itself, but the obnoxiously in-jokey queue too.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
In a bit of thread resurrection, I will remind folks that from time to time, Star Wars related announcements happen at the "Star Wars Celebration". In 2016, the Star Wars celebration is being held July 15th-17th at the Excel London Exhibition Center. I would expect some great "appearances" amongst other things. You can check out this world traveling convention at http://www.starwarscelebration.com . Unfortunately, only a few tickets for pre-show events are available.

*1023*

djkidkaz

Heres some concept art from the presentation that doesn't seem to be floating around as much as those other three pieces.
15_1_19_star-wars-land-concept-art.jpg

DSCF7851.jpg

star-wars-land-beast-620x414.jpg

star-wars-land-cantina-620x414.jpg

star-wars-land-restaurant-620x414.jpg

JCtheparrothead

I was wonder why these weren't making the rounds? Pretty cool stuff. I wonder if the first two are related to a ride give that the floor/street look very similar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom