Oculus Rift

StageFrenzy

Original Poster
It finally has a release time frame, Q1 2016. Anyone besides me planning on getting one? With games like Elite: Dangerous and a resurgence in joysticks, I’ll be playing games like it’s 1995!
+

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It finally has a release time frame, Q1 2016. Anyone besides me planning on getting one? With games like Elite: Dangerous and a resurgence in joysticks, I’ll be playing games like it’s 1995!
+

Jiminy Christmas. When was occulus rift first known about? It seems like it has been around forever. The Avatar Land of electronics.

Kramerica

I will be getting one, for sure. But I'll be getting Sony's Project Morpheus too. I feel like both of them have their own markets. But I've never been one to stick to one companies iteration of a product.

Kramerica

Have you seen the Vive?

HTCs counterpart? I've seen bits and pieces about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it HTC's interpretation of VR? I've heard it's really well done, and uses some sort of virtual boundaries within the headset to keep you from running into walls in the real world. It's to be used in collaboration with Steam, right?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I feel that this is a fad that will die off within 2 years. Gamers complain about every new gimmick that comes out and this will be no different.

StageFrenzy

Original Poster
HTCs counterpart? I've seen bits and pieces about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it HTC's interpretation of VR? I've heard it's really well done, and uses some sort of virtual boundaries within the headset to keep you from running into walls in the real world. It's to be used in collaboration with Steam, right?
Yeah still in collaboration with valve and steam. It was going to release before Oculus but now has been pushed back to Q1 or Q2.

Kramerica

Yeah still in collaboration with valve and steam. It was going to release before Oculus but now has been pushed back to Q1 or Q2.

I say let em delay it as much as they want. The last thing I want is a rushed piece of tech.

I feel that this is a fad that will die off within 2 years. Gamers complain about every new gimmick that comes out and this will be no different.

Respectfully I'm gonna have to disagree with you. This isn't some gimmick like 3d or curved displays. The things that I've heard from people who have gotten the chance to actually use these headsets are remarkable. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will replace typical flat screen gaming. But I think it will become a genre in itself.

Jahona

I say let em delay it as much as they want. The last thing I want is a rushed piece of tech.
Respectfully I'm gonna have to disagree with you. This isn't some gimmick like 3d or curved displays. The things that I've heard from people who have gotten the chance to actually use these headsets are remarkable. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will replace typical flat screen gaming. But I think it will become a genre in itself.

Having used the Oculus DK2 I will agree. It's not a gimmick. The very first time I put the Oculus on and started the demo I was blown away about how much it felt like I was actually there.

This was the demo I was first shown:

Not only is VR being used for gaming but it's also has it's uses in design. Case in point airlines are creating cube mapped 3D renderings to output to oculus rift in order to view interiors of their new and upcoming planes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom