Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Definitely underwhelming plans in store for DHS. Two "meh"-sounding attractions for each new land.......not much to be encouraged or excited over. If the rumored Monster Inc coaster had been included, that would have been something.

We don't know anywhere near enough about the Star Wars attractions to judge yet. Summarize any Disney ride in just a couple words and it will sound meh.

Incomudro

I think Disney's thought process might have been to focus more on immersive aspects of a single IP rather than an entire brand. I was really hoping for a Pixar Land as well, but how do you pull that together? I'm sure it's possible, but, in the end they took their most popular Pixar franchise and decided to make a themed land out of it. It does fit better into their "living the movies" plan for DHS. There could still be something really good for the new section that's inevitably coming in between TSL and SWL.
^^ This exactly^
I would say that Pixar Place would create a hodge podge look and theme that Disney did not want to present.
I would love an Incredibles ride, a Wall-e ride, etc., but I think Disney went for cohesion and stuck with its most recognizable IP, the one with the longest legs, and the one that grabs a new generation after new generation.
And, yes of course Toy Story fits right in with Midway Mania.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is my guesses for what each structure in Toy Story Land is.

Load/Unload and queue for the Slinky Dog coaster.
SlinkyCoasterLoad.jpg

Entrance and queue for the Green Alien ride

Green Alien Ride Entrance.JPG

Quick service food, notice the umbrella covered tables in front of it.
FoodService.JPG

New entrance to Toy Story Midway Mania. There could also be something in the toy box itself since it has an entrance. Maybe a M&G or a store?
TSMM entrance.JPG

Store
Store.jpg

I am guessing this will be a M&G, but there is not a lot to go on with this one.
MG.jpg

I am also a little iffy on this one, Since it's near the other food it might be another restaurant, it also could include restrooms. I am not sure what is going on with the roof. My only thought is that since it's near a high point on the Slinky Dog coaster they may be themeing the roof since it will be seen from the coaster.
FoodRestrooms.JPG

ToTBellHop

Here is my guesses for what each structure in Toy Story Land is.

Load/Unload and queue for the Slinky Dog coaster.
View attachment 106111

Entrance and queue for the Green Alien ride

View attachment 106109

Quick service food, notice the umbrella covered tables in front of it.
View attachment 106108

New entrance to Toy Story Midway Mania. There could also be something in the toy box itself since it has an entrance. Maybe a M&G or a store?
View attachment 106113
Store
View attachment 106112

I am guessing this will be a M&G, but there is not a lot to go on with this one.
View attachment 106110

I am also a little iffy on this one, Since it's near the other food it might be another restaurant, it also could include restrooms. I am not sure what is going on with the roof. My only thought is that since it's near a high point on the Slinky Dog coaster they may be themeing the roof since it will be seen from the coaster.
View attachment 106107
I'm actually guessing that last one with the board game on top is the M&G, but of course we are just guessing. It has to replace the Buzz and Woody M&G they are removing on Pixar Place, so it makes sense to be between the Buzz and the Woody themed areas. Bet Al's is a gift shop like most say and the Woody hotel is dining.

Castle Cake Apologist

The concept art shows otherwise, IMO. I agree with you but it could be versions of them. Don't have to be exact replicas. Al's Toy Barn has a handle on top of it's roof like a toy box. I can't really explain Pizza Planet but there is a food service location that looks similar.

Sometimes we take things too literally with the theme. It's a kids toy land. I'm going to go with it.

To be fair, Disney tends to take things pretty literally with theme too. It's what makes them Disney.

I think the barn structure is just part of the Woody's Roundup / Western theming that it's next to. As you said, there's a handle on the roof so it's clearly meant to be part of a play set. Probably a store, yes, but I strongly doubt it's Al's. At least, I hope it's not. As I said, it wouldn't make much sense thematically.

I'm still not seeing anything in the land that resembles Pizza Planet?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm actually guessing that last one with the board game on top is the M&G, but of course we are just guessing. It has to replace the Buzz and Woody M&G they are removing on Pixar Place, so it makes sense to be between the Buzz and the Woody themed areas. Bet Al's is a gift shop like most say and the Woody hotel is dining.

I was leaning towards a resutrant there due to the size and the fact that it's near the other food location, but it definitely could be a M&G.

orlando678-

I see what you mean but fans dont want a land with single rides based on one franchise but we want immersive worlds. Bring me to radiator springs, metroville or ants island or DunBroch Kingdom or monstropolis

ToTBellHop

I see what you mean but fans dont want a land with single rides based on one franchise but we want immersive worlds. Bring me to radiator springs, metroville or ants island or DunBroch Kingdom or monstropolis
It's certainly not how Disney used to work, but all of Disney's recent efforts have featured compartmentalized lands focused on one property, usually with a headliner. It's been very successful and has largely led to jealousy among us WDW fans (why can't we have Carsland, Mystic Point, Grizzly Gulch?). Now we have three such lands coming our way.

G00fyDad

Big Al's Toy Barn?
Store.jpg

Toy Story Pizza Planet? (Of course they are going to have toi close or move the current version since it is in the wrong place right now.)
FoodRestrooms.JPG

ToTBellHop

Why does it only having two rides make it Meh? Diagon Alley only has two rides, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone calling it "meh".
I don't personally think anyone could enter a park with DHS's entertainment along with GMR, ToT, RnRC, three Toy Story rides, and three Star Wars rides and think "meh". It's certainly back to a full day park. And, like many of us, I think there is one more headliner (with the park icon attached?) in development for the back of the park.

Next Big Thing

What if they used that road seasonally to display Osborne?
As narrow as that road is, you can't transfer it to being a backstage area one day because you have this new shiny toy on the other side and then take the backstage space away. Everything that goes on behind TSMM (which includes break space and custodial areas) would need to be transferred to the current on-stage space.

I suppose it's possible they could put fences up along side of the road for break areas and custodial, but that's a BARE MINIMUM use of backstage space. If it's a heavily used space, then there's no way. Don't get your hopes up is all i'll say.

ToTBellHop

As narrow as that road is, you can't transfer it to being a backstage area one day because you have this new shiny toy on the other side and then take the backstage space away. Everything that goes on behind TSMM (which includes break space and custodial areas) would need to be transferred to the current on-stage space.

I suppose it's possible they could put fences up along side of the road for break areas and custodial, but that's a BARE MINIMUM use of backstage space. If it's a heavily used space, then there's no way. Don't get your hopes up is all i'll say.
True. Granted we don't yet even have confirmation that SoA is leaving.

Next Big Thing

True. Granted we don't yet even have confirmation that SoA is leaving.
Well, we don't know that Star Wars will be the one to have the knockout punch, but i'm pretty certain SoA isn't long for this world. I give it <50% shot of Osborne going up next year on SoA.

Again, all of this depends on where SW Land takes up residence and personally, I hope it expands into the parking lot. That would leave SoA and that area for more Pixar expansion in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom