DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Professor_Jason

While the rumors of what is to come with the DHS windfall (and it's trickle down funds to EPCOT and MK) and Pandora are promising lights at the end of a dark tunnel the resort has been in for what will be approaching 2 decades by the time we reach the "promised land", it is important to keep in mind that the real issues the resort is faced with go beyond simply "adding more attractions". The real change that needs to come for the 50th is a change of heart.

What good will a wonderful Pandora, Pixar Place, and Star Wars Land be if they open in a resort that is struggling to uphold the tenets of what made the place so special to begin with? If these new additions (not New Editions, cool it now) come to fruition in a resort that is run like the current resort is - how long will the luster last? Will Star Wars land open and quickly have the headlining attraction deteriorate as effects break and don't get repaired. Will the forests of Endor need to be clear cut to make more room to squeeze in occupants to handle all the crowds that will be enticed to the new additions?

If the underlying pillars of safety/show quality/and customer service aren't righted as part of the "makeover" and we are left with a resort where it is perfectly acceptable to run a project like the Hub refurb over the course of years and then leave exposed sightlines in it's wake, or continue to reduce hours at the expense of more upcharge events, or simply continue to cut back on in park entertainment options - then I'm afraid the three billion dollars will go to waste.

WDW is at a major crossroads. The opportunity is there for the taking. The fork in the road will either take us back towards the core values that we all fell in love with or further away from where we started. The money that is being spent needs to account for more than just the pretty new scenery the road takes us by. The destination is what matters.

I honestly hope this opportunity is seized and we see a return to a new golden age. Disneyland is what give me that hope. When Disneyland was at its lowest during the Pressler years, it was the failure to hit the core values where they struggled most. Thankfully, what changed after that dark time was a fundamental return to those values and that pride has continued to lead on to this day. Even now when someone like Colglazier is in charge - there is a sense of perpetual motion in that the ship is on the right course. That is what is lacking in Orlando. The revolving doors of leadership haven't had any change in direction because the morale compass guiding them is what is amiss.

I hope the light at the end of tunnel is the DHS windfall for WDW or else the ship will still be lost at sea.
I hope they can do with Studios what they did with DCA here, the only time we plan on visiting the Studios is on our first day after we've flown in

ULPO46

From what I've read here I know Michael Eisner got and still has a lot of hate, but look at he magic that Disy made through out his tenure as CEO. Two brand new theme parks and the addition countless resorts. Not to mention countless animated films. Sure I guess Iger can say he bought out Marvel and Lucas Arts, but that isn't enough. Disney needs to get back into the spirit of doing anything and new material not some repeated crap. Marvel and Lucas Arts are prospering but that's not because of Disney. They already were great companies an had been since the 60's an late 70's. What we can safely assume is that with the amount of attractions shut down a soon to be renamed DHS, is that something big is to come. But it wont be announce anytime soon. Another terrible thing is the amount of time Disney is taking to churn out these mega projects is disgusting. Animal Kingdom was built in less time than this Avatar Project. Yes the original WDW Resort was built around secrecy but now the whole world knows that the place exists and guest do pay nearly 100 dollars a ticket to come in and see countless attractions either closed or being built. I remember during the holidays of 2014 going into animal kingdom and seeing all the construction. Yes it was cool because I knew what was taking place but it really hurt the theming in the place. Now i'm not complaining but Disney honestly needs to say something big 10 days from now or simply put, DHS will just be a sitting goose until Avatar's completed. Another thing that I can confirm is that anything star wars related wont be announced. J.J. really wants nothing to be released until the new Star Wars film comes out. Not because of Secrecy or to build the hype. He just wants t excitement of the fans and that excitement will make executives come out with any star wars plans. It's just simple economics and the really boring policy of how the Disney company wants to work now a days. I just pray that this new star wars trilogy is worth it. Because as much as I liked the avengers and transformer's, too much action really kills a film.

Matt_Black

I assume the difference is in airfare. Because there are major savings to be had on hotels. Food and tickets should be roughly equivalent.

No, not including airfare. And I'm not staying off-site. If I want to stay at a non-Disney hotel, well heck, there are plenty of nice non-Disney hotels right in my area! I wouldn't even need to fly, I could just take the subway down to the city and crash for the weekend.

lebeau

No, not including airfare. And I'm not staying off-site. If I want to stay at a non-Disney hotel, well heck, there are plenty of nice non-Disney hotels right in my area! I wouldn't even need to fly, I could just take the subway down to the city and crash for the weekend.

Are any of them within walking distance of Walt Disney's original theme park? Because that seems like a distinction worth making.

ToTBellHop

Are any of them within walking distance of Walt Disney's original theme park? Because that seems like a distinction worth making.
Oddly, outside of Grand Californian, there are plenty of Good Neighbor Hotels that are actually closer to DL than the DLH or Paradise Pier Hotel. I don't really find DLH or PPH to be in any way remarkable, either. Grand Californian is nice but for some reason not up to the level of WDW's lodges (and I can't put my finger on it; they should be comparable). But it's so expensive! We stayed at the Sheraton last time and were very pleased. It even has a bit of a castle theme (sort of) and you can sit in the parking lot and watch the DL fireworks. Not too shabby. The shuttle was faster than the walk/monorail from the DLH or PPH.

Magenta Panther

I priced a DLR vacation, and that estimate certainly didn't seem magical! For the same price, I can stay at WDW for two more days WITH a dining plan.

That's always the debate - pay a higher price for a smaller (if iconic and charming) Disney park, or stay longer at the OTHER stateside Disney park with a free dining plan AND easy access to a more-developed Universal? Plus, there's just plain more to do at WDW because of its size. With me, the last three years, WDW has won. This year, though, I'll probably head out to Anaheim for Disneyland's 60th. But yeah, the price for that is enough to dampen the pixie dust, for sure. :p

Matt_Black

Well if DLR management wanted me to go there, maybe they can bring their prices a little bit more in line with WDW's, because as it stands to my eyes, WDW is hands down a better value for my vacation dollars.

RobbinsDad

This was a major distinction for me, but not in the way you think. I enjoyed DLR well-enough, but I never felt immersed in the experience the way I do at WDW. There's something about driving under that arch and feeling as if you've left the real world and entered into a fantasy. When you leave the DLR, you're basically walking onto 192. Nothing extremely magical about that.

Professor_Jason

Well if DLR management wanted me to go there, maybe they can bring their prices a little bit more in line with WDW's, because as it stands to my eyes, WDW is hands down a better value for my vacation dollars.
I'm the one booking our first trip to WDW and I'm finding it a way better deal than originally thought, the park ticket prices were actually a pleasant surprise

lebeau

Understood. But you're imposing a constraint on yourself that most people will not have to deal with by insisting on staying at a Disney hotel when there are several cheaper options which are quite nice and convenient to the parks. Saying DL is more expensive is only true if you exclude all of the options which arguably make it quite a bit cheaper then WDW.

We have actually reached the point where we don't feel WDW is a value any more. We found a lot more bang for our buck at Universal and the Disney Cruise Line. Value's in the eye of the beholder, but I'd definitely loosen up on that "Disney-only" rule if I was headed out to Anaheim. Seems like there's some value to be had. Much more than what I see at WDW these days.

lebeau

This was a major distinction for me, but not in the way you think. I enjoyed DLR well-enough, but I never felt immersed in the experience the way I do at WDW. There's something about driving under that arch and feeling as if you've left the real world and entered into a fantasy. When you leave the DLR, you're basically walking onto 192. Nothing extremely magical about that.

I find there is nothing in the world less magical than Disney buses.

Matt_Black

Understood. But you're imposing a constraint on yourself that most people will not have to deal with by insisting on staying at a Disney hotel when there are several cheaper options which are quite nice and convenient to the parks. Saying DL is more expensive is only true if you exclude all of the options which arguably make it quite a bit cheaper then WDW.

Well, WDW spoiled me. What can I say. I like the DDP and transportation and little Mickey towels on the bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom