Update to Disney's PhotoPass site adds copy protection watermarks over images

Jahona

I just noticed this today while going through my photos from my past trip. A friend that lives in Florida had a ride photo that showed up in Photopass with a water mark.

Man that only took 5 years. Its way too easy to steal high res pics from the site.
I wouldn't say you were able to steal high res photos from the site but passable on Facebook probably. This just means spending more hours in Photoshop removing the watermark.

NowInc

I just noticed this today while going through my photos from my past trip. A friend that lives in Florida had a ride photo that showed up in Photopass with a water mark.

I wouldn't say you were able to steal high res photos from the site but passable on Facebook probably. This just means spending more hours in Photoshop removing the watermark.

High res/printable was very possible via the slideshow method. I am just shocked they didn't realize it sooner...as I know MANY who have been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Jahona

High res/printable was very possible via the slideshow method. I am just shocked they didn't realize it sooner...as I know MANY who have been doing this for as long as I can remember.

True enough. Probably if your monitor has a high enough resolution to scratch out a 4x6 with a screenshot. This is the first year I've used memory maker and am a bit shocked at the resolution they let you download.

TyrantBoss

Disney could consider adding a price to each park ticket, $15 to $20 each and then include PhotoPass access when you buy a ticket, or a 3 day or more park hopper.
People would still purchase the frames and graphics for their photos so Disney would still make even more money.

ABQ

I almost wonder why they haven't found a way to prevent photos being taken of the screens at ride photo ordering locations. Polarization or something, but it seems like the bean counters would be upset over lost revenue when all the folks walk up to the screens, cell phones in hand, and snap pictures of their images.

Jahona

I almost wonder why they haven't found a way to prevent photos being taken of the screens at ride photo ordering locations. Polarization or something, but it seems like the bean counters would be upset over lost revenue when all the folks walk up to the screens, cell phones in hand, and snap pictures of their images.

It's not exactly easy to get a really good photo off those screens at times. Between the hustle and bustle of people moving in to look at the screens and to capture them with their magic band, and the short time till the next photo posts, it's not easy to take a crisp image with a phone. DSLR might do better.

NowInc

Some of them have watermarks on those screens as well.

NearTheEars

Yeah, we've grabbed screen shots for Facebook tons of times over the last 5 years. But on special occasions, like our engagement, we bought some prints.

andre85

I'm just glad they don't do what Universal does at some rides and turn off the screen if they catch you trying to take a picture, such as at Harry Potter.

chiefs11

True enough. Probably if your monitor has a high enough resolution to scratch out a 4x6 with a screenshot. This is the first year I've used memory maker and am a bit shocked at the resolution they let you download.
I'm confused. If you have MemoryMaker aren't you entitled to the high-res photos?

tissandtully

I was able to get a pretty decent version of an on-ride video as well. I think Disney figured it really wasn't worth ruining an experience and then I think they noticed a drop in sales and then implemented this. Some people just don't like paying for photos. If it's a photo I like and one I couldn't take myself, I usually buy it, the digital downloads allow unlimited copies to made at other places if you want prints.

Jahona

I'm confused. If you have MemoryMaker aren't you entitled to the high-res photos?

Yes I was going a bit off topic. I should have done a better comparison of the difference between the resolution of a monitor vs. the resolution they give to you. I usually expect sites to give you mediocre resolution for your download, but Disney gives you pretty high res.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom