Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Sped2424

Original Poster
"Now, for the first time, those stories and characters will be brought to life in entirely new ways – only at Universal theme parks.The immersive experiences will include major attractions at Universal’s theme parks and will feature Nintendo’s most famous characters and games. Details about the attractions were sparse in today's announcement, but more information will shared as the companies' creative teams "work to create specific concepts."

Link to the article here

If you wanna move this to the Universal thread please do, but I felt it was rather large news. Because I know if anything zelda comes about from this I am THERE. It's a shame too because with the success of wreck it ralph I was hoping something cool could come out of it attraction wise with some nintendo cameos.

But knowing the current way management works (gotta make a billion to get a ride) I knew it wasn't happening. But man is this big news, and if done right could be huge. I wonder if this announcement about developing attractions and other things has anything to do with a delayed yet still on the table sometime thrid gate for uni? WHo knows. But for now I am really feeling it.

Sped2424

Original Poster
In Orlando I can see either a retheme and expansion of the kidzone area or the Toon Lagoon area. Personally I would rather see attractions for the whole family instead of the Kidzone type stuff.
Nah they know nintendo prints gold. The ip's alone have keep the company relevant in ways other gaming staples just can't even touch. I doubt it would be reduced to a kidzone. I am thinking at least one eticket type ride from this.

StageFrenzy

In Orlando I can see either a retheme and expansion of the kidzone area or the Toon Lagoon area. Personally I would rather see attractions for the whole family instead of the Kidzone type stuff.

Nah they know nintendo prints gold. The ip's alone have keep the company relevant in ways other gaming staples just can't even touch. I doubt it would be reduced to a kidzone. I am thinking at least one eticket type ride from this.

Just because it's in the Kidzone doesn't mean it can't be an eTicket, Toon lagoon does seem like it's the more likely candidate for redevelopment.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Wow. I thought this was going to be some jokey speculation thread.

That has the potential to be a major (like, major major) addition for Universal's portfolio. It's multigenerational, it appeals to guys and girls.

Wow.
As @Captain Neo said this is harry potter level huge. But unlike harry potter my dad knows who mario is, as do my grandparents. There is something to be said about an IP that has that kind of presence.

Siren

OMG! UNI just has to build Princess Peach's Castle! And, a Mario Kart ride similar to RSR or TT -- a Mario Galaxy dark ride similar to Buzz Lightyear or TSM and a ride like Ratatouille and a really good Italian restaurant themed to Mario and Luigi.

Disney is not going to like this news, lol. I sensed some tension between Disney and Nintendo after Nintendo released Amiibo to compete with Disney's Infinity. I don't get the Amiibo thing -- at all.

I have always felt like Ninteno needed a theme park and this is the answer! Nintendo land would be an exceptional anchor for the rumored third gate, if not, Universal will need to make room somewhere.

ETA:
All of the media outlets have pick up on this story, I just saw it on my local news today!

This is from USA Today.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/05/07/nintendo-universal-theme-parks/70934606/

As for the deal between Nintendo and Universal, more details on "the immersive experiences ... will be announced in the future," the companies said in a short news release. "Nintendo has created remarkable and imaginative worlds filled with captivating stories and beloved characters. Now, for the first time, those stories and characters will be brought to life in entirely new ways – only at Universal theme parks," it said.

Sorry, but this sounds like it's a lot more than a little kiddie section for just for kids -- this is really a big deal. I just looked at the numbers and Universal seriously needs to go big with this.

kcl8ax.jpg

TV personality Kristin Cavallari attends Nintendo's celebration of the launch of Super Mario 3D Land at Siren Studios on November 3, 2011 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images for Nintendo)

Harry Potter has sold over 450 million books. In contrast, Nintendo has sold over 684 million game consoles, not to mention, the number of games sold in the hundreds of millions, so this is way bigger than Harry Potter.

Overall, Nintendo is the number #1, game console manufacturer.

Total 'Home & Handheld' console sales:
  • Nintendo - 683.94 million
  • Sony - 443.69 million
  • Microsoft - 118 million
  • Sega - 87.5 million
  • Atari - 35.77 million
Nintendo has out sold Sony by over 240 million consoles! This is almost more than Sony, Microsoft, Sega and Atari combined!

The top twelve highest selling games of all times:
  1. Tetris - 2006 - Mobile - 100 million
  2. Wii Sports - 2006 - Wii - 82.54 million
  3. Grand Theft Auto V - 2013 - 45 million
  4. Super Mario Bros. - 1985 - Nintendo Entertainment System - 40.24 million
  5. Mario Kart Wii - 2008 - Wii -35.53 million
  6. Tetris - 1989 - Game Boy, Game Boy Color - 35 million
  7. Minecraft - 2009 - Windows, OS x, Linus, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation 4 - 34 million
  8. Wii Sports Resort - 2009 - Wii - 32.58 million
  9. New Super Mario Bros. - 2006 - Nintendo DS - 30.75 million
  10. Minecraft: Pocket Edition - 2011 - Mobile - 30 million
  11. Wii Play - 2006 - Wii - 28.82 million
  12. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2009 - Wii - 27.88 million
Eight of the top twelve selling video games of all time, belong to Nintendo -- which amounts to almost 70% of the list!

Nintendo Wii was revolutionary -- it redefined gaming. This game console is utilized in hospitals, retirement homes, schools, libraries, etc. Nintendo's brand and IP's are iconic.

This is such a huge honor for Universal, because Nintendo is super protective over their brand and IP. And, I totally forgot to give a shout out to Animal Crossing and Yoshi's island!

As an aside, people totally love video games. I can't wait to see Pixels - when it comes out on home video.

The trailer is hilarious, I love the scenes with Donkey Kong and Pac-Man, lol.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Original Poster
Wow. I thought this was going to be some jokey speculation thread.

That has the potential to be a major (like, major major) addition for Universal's portfolio. It's multigenerational, it appeals to guys and girls.

Wow.
Again this could be for the third gate whenever that gets moving(Not the whole park, but maybe a land or two) Details are sadly very scarce, I am guessing they just cracked the deal today.

TalkingHead

Press releases contain the headquarter locations of companies involved in the releases. Universal Parks and Resorts HQ is in Orlando, and Nintendo HQ is in Kyoto, so that's why those two cities are listed.

Wasn't sure if Universal Parks was HQ'ed in Orlando or Hollywood. Thanks for clarifying.

SomeInternetGuy

I'm really curious how far along they are with concepts/expansion plans. I'm hoping this isn't an Avatar-like announcement, where they've literally just signed the deal and now have to spend years coming up with attraction concepts.

Here's to hoping we hear some more news sooner rather than later!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom