Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

NowInc

Just to clarify a tad:

The policy isn't "new", its just now being more actively enforced. Like I said previously, this isn't going to be the final word on selfie sticks. It seems to be that no one wants to be the first park to flat out ban them, but once one does...the rest will follow suit shortly after. The issue is liability (regarding injury to their rides and other guests), which is why they are ramping up the assertiveness towards them on rides. All it will take is one guest to get a serious enough injury due to one and they will be brought into legal action (regardless if its the companies direct fault or not). The only way to secure they are not used on rides would be preventing them from entering the park (which is only as effective as their security check points), and they are aware of that. I still believe based on what I have heard that this will be a non-issue before Summer arrives, one way or the other,

As I said in a prior post, I was unfortunate enough to get whacked in the face with one of these. Did it hurt? yes. Did it cripple me? no. But it was WAY too close to my eye for my liking. I wasn't on a ride, I was walking. Those who say these things are harmless are obviously not understanding that far too many people are reckless and selfish in the use of the devices, with no care or concern of others around them. Swinging it around on a crowded main street (where I got my unfortunate face contact with one) is in fact dangerous, and in my opinion needless (as if you want a picture of your whole family in front of the castle, there is a photopass person no less than 20 feet from you).

G00fyDad

We just had a small marathon in Louisville and one of the bike team EMT's (my sister's partner) got smacked in the face by one of these things as they were riding through the crowd. He got hit hard. The little twit that hit him laughed and said "My phone better not be broke!" and "Well, you got bandaids don't ya?" and tried walking away before the police that were handling the event and riding along side the EMT's grabbed her. She didn't get arrested, but they ripped her a new one and told her that she needs to keep the "potential weapon" stowed in large crowds. She walked away still giggling. THIS is the attitude we have to contend with and it is exactly why Disney will never be able to cease the use of these things at their parks. The people are entitled.

Should never get to an injury or accident requiring a lawsuit for Disney to kick these the hell out. Most of the concert festivals have already banned them. This is a slow motion train wreck from a bunch of vapid morons who think they need one of these.

Wow. Such anger. More people get hit by strollers everyday in WDW than selfie-sticks. Why not ban them too?
Well there's a huge difference - there's absolutely zero need for these sticks. An 19 month needs a stroller even as irritating as they can be. Now, I will give you one point which is when I see a morbidly obese 8 year old in a stroller, well - maybe that's not.. eh.. you get the point.

TyrantBoss

I just read an article as that Selfie Sticks are banned from being used on rides. It the official policy now. You can still use them in parks, but as @NowInc wrote...the CM's will make the announcement over the PA and then stop the ride if you don't obey the rules.

Selfie Sticks will go the way of the pet rock, snap band, swatch watch, furbie and mood ring, etc.

MonorailLover

Even though I would like to think that if I saw someone on a ride with one, I would smack it down and probably break the phone, I know this would start a fist fight, and that would, unfortunately, be a bad idea :(. I feel that it was a good start that they are atleast stating that guests may not use them on a ride, but I do not think that it will help.

G00fyDad

Well there's a huge difference - there's absolutely zero need for these sticks. An 19 month needs a stroller even as irritating as they can be. Now, I will give you one point which is when I see a morbidly obese 8 year old in a stroller, well - maybe that's not.. eh.. you get the point.

Of course he gets the point. He also loves his selfie stick. He doesn't see the problem with flagrantly waving the weapon around in public, or how silly someone looks using one. It's an entitlement issue.

G00fyDad

Except that letting people get away with flash photography doesn't hurt Disney's bottom line, or land them in court. Continuing to allow the sticks on rides will result in damage to the rides ($$$) and/or injury to the dimwitted guest using the thing (lawsuit, because that would be Disney's fault, of course). I believe they will enforce this....and I believe it will be expanded upon.

I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Kingoglow

Self restraint is the issue. These things are dangerous on many rides. Off of the top of my head I would say that they could cause injury on Space, Splash, Big Thunder, at the start of Pirates, Carpets, Dumbo, Barnstormer, at the backward descent in Haunted Mansion, 7DMT, Descent in Mermaid. Maybe a few others. These things could potentially get knocked out of the owners hands in any of the other rides as well.

They should not be allowed in the park. Turn guests around at bag check.

NowInc

Self restraint is the issue. These things are dangerous on many rides. Off of the top of my head I would say that they could cause injury on Space, Splash, Big Thunder, at the start of Pirates, Carpets, Dumbo, Barnstormer, at the backward descent in Haunted Mansion, 7DMT, Descent in Mermaid. Maybe a few others. These things could potentially get knocked out of the owners hands in any of the other rides as well.

They should not be allowed in the park. Turn guests around at bag check.

Bag check won't catch them all, as most who use them don't go through that security checkpoint (no bags). Posted signs as well as cast member engagement will be the most effective spotters. There will always be people "sneaking" them in (same with alcohol), but enforcement on the issue will ultimately be the factor that makes the difference.

Kingoglow

I put more faith in bag check security than I do CMs being able to handle the issue. No disrespect to the hard workers at Disney, but I don't think they will be able to effectively manage the situation. I don't see stopping rides as a solution for anyone.

G00fyDad

I put more faith in bag check security than I do CMs being able to handle the issue. No disrespect to the hard workers at Disney, but I don't think they will be able to effectively manage the situation. I don't see stopping rides as a solution for anyone.

I don't forsee CM's doing a single thing about this unless a manager is nearby. They won't typically care about these things. This whole banning issue is little more than a dog running to the end of it's leash and barking. A lot of noise and not a lot of bite.

mf1972

I'd like to see a few stick users cross paths with a Brazillian tour group. that has sit back & watch the show written all over it.

note2001

If I own an expensive tablet/phone/camera, the LAST thing I would do is put it on the end of a stick for someone to run by and grab.....

"Okay, officers, before you hit the streets I need to pass out a sketch of the latest criminal on our streets. We've had a rash of selfie snatchers and the sergeant wants us to catch the guy. And please ignore the applause from the bystanders when they witness him snatching someone's stick. Thanks. And be safe out there."

I think you just unintentionally hit upon the one way Disney can put a stop to the use of these in the parks. Anyone using a selfie stick will be seen as offering their equipment as up for grabs and is subject to have it snatched away. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom