Tree of life 'grows' new roots

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You should see the rest of the film in order to make educational comments about Avatar because what you're suggesting is most definitely NOT the theme of the movie.

No the theme of the movie is "Evil white men oppressing noble indigenous culture for profit" I for one am sick of that trope. Voltaire's 'Noble Savage' never existed and Kipling's 'White Man's Burden' is BRAVO-SIERRA.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In fact it is the exact opposite of the theme of the movie. Avatar has a huge conservation, living in harmony with nature, anti-over exploitation of the environment message that is perfect for DAK.

I personally prefer Sean Connery's 'Medicine Man' which did a much better job of showing the results of the rape of the environment (specifically the slash and burn practiced in the Amazon basin) and it did it without the preachiness of Avatar.

jakeman

Beastly Kingdom was about how Euopean culture interacted with the natural world as reflected in imagined animals. the shift occurred to include all forms of fictional animals and not those that reflect nature as humans have interacted with it.
I would be interested to see where this came from.

Can you provide a source?

Sage of Time

Really, how man loves nature? This is a park that has an attraction whose story line centered around man killing animals, another about man destroying nature, a 3D film about mans attempts to exterminate an entire class of animals, and an entire land that largely revolves around man exploiting animals for monetary gain.

And the endings to all these things are usually happy and remind us not to do that. Nice try? hahah?

lazyboy97o

So no source directly from Disney?
How is the work of Walt Disney Imagineering not Disney? Much of the park's planned content is widely known. The park as built is also there. It's all about animals of this world, humans interacting with animals of this world.

I do think Mysterious Island would have been an interesting choice for this plot of land as well
And Jules Verne wasn't just making things up. Most of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is the rattling off of different species the protagonist is seeing on his journey through the oceans of this planet. Journey to the Center of the Earth is a travel within this planet and based on an idea floating around legitimate scientific circles of the time. Verne's work is totally obsessed with science of his day.

rioriz

tumblr_n5nk2loKCl1rotxheo3_500.gif

Give me back my BK Dragons!!!!

peter11435

You should see the rest of the film in order to make educational comments about Avatar because what you're suggesting is most definitely NOT the theme of the movie.
I've seen the entire film. And I was not commenting about avatar at all. I was referring entirely to animal kingdom. It's tough to be a big being the 3d film and Dinoland being the land I'm referring to.

jakeman

How is the work of Walt Disney Imagineering not Disney? Much of the park's planned content is widely known. The park as built is also there. It's all about animals of this world, humans interacting with animals of this world.
Just asking if you had a documented source that the Beastly Kingdom portion (and therefore the "animals that never were" portion) was intentionally Euro-centric and it's purpose was to show how European interacted with nature through mythology?

Last edited:

peter11435

And the endings to all these things are usually happy and remind us not to do that. Nice try? hahah?

The endings are not meant to be happy. They are meant to be motivational and point out the mistakes that we have made and the reasons why we can and should learn from those mistakes and take better care of the world around us. They are meant to inspire us to live in harmony with nature and not to exploit it. Which is the same message as the film.

twebber55

The endings are not meant to be happy. They are meant to be motivational and point out the mistakes that we have made and the reasons why we can and should learn from those mistakes and take better care of the world around us. They are meant to inspire us to live in harmony with nature and not to exploit it. Which is the same message as the film.
a call to action on the behalf of nature is one of the central themes mentioned by Joe Rohde

well im calling it a night, enjoyed snowmageddon here in Tennessee now I have to go back to work tomorrow

Sage of Time

Right. But that still doesn't mean that the aesthetic modes match.

Sage of Time

after viewing the model/concept art do you feel Pandora still doesn't work aesthetically? and looking at BK concept do you think it fits better aesthetically than Pandora?
I actually think the 'physical' characteristics of the land will be lovely... but it's the aesthetic content that's going to throw it off. Alien birds, machine walkers, drilling, etc.

twebber55

I actually think the 'physical' characteristics of the land will be lovely... but it's the aesthetic content that's going to throw it off. Alien birds, machine walkers, drilling, etc.
when jon landau said Pandora is coming here not avatar I was/am thinking that very little of the movie would be apart of the land...
anyways thanks for the reply

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom