Tree of life 'grows' new roots

Figment82

I'm a huge fan of the original set-up and have been very disappointed to see the pavement expand out during this refurbishment. I know it sounds silly, but that garden area was one of my favorite places in the park. Even though it was right there in the front as guests entered Discovery Island, the vast majority of people never took the time to explore the little path. It was always a nice place to take photos and watch the animals. I see it as a necessary evil, although I am glad they at least made the effort to make it look nice, as if it had always been there. The carvings are certainly very beautiful.

I know it wasn't a well-travelled area of the park but little details like that garden are what makes DAK so enjoyable to me. It's bad enough the one trail around the Tree is still walled off.

raymusiccity

Thats a really good comparison.

I personally prefer the original. The Tree of Life Gardens made the whole area more believable and lush. The new version, although nice and tidy, presents a similar issue to what is happening at MK with the castle. Large open expanse, and then the park centerpiece plopped in the center. The lack of foreground and lead-in landscaping is not as effective.

It's pretty amusing if you go back a few comments. Everyone was oohing and ahhing over the nice touches and plusing with the new 'roots'.........until, the overhead photo showed the before and after walkway.

'Gasp!' Now, it's become an abomination, likened to the Keebler tree.

note2001

It's pretty amusing if you go back a few comments. Everyone was oohing and ahhing over the nice touches and plusing with the new 'roots'.........until, the overhead photo showed the before and after walkway.

Hey now, I never said it was an abomination. The Tree of Life is beautiful no matter what it wears for walkways and waterways, and I happen to like the Keebler tree. Besides, once those walkways are filled with people walking about it will look all different.
Although, it still needs a hobbit sized hole in the trunk there somewhere...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Hey now, I never said it was an abomination. The Tree of Life is beautiful no matter what it wears for walkways and waterways, and I happen to like the Keebler tree. Besides, once those walkways are filled with people walking about it will look all different.
Although, it still needs a hobbit sized hole in the trunk there somewhere...
I like the Keebler tree also....my artwork was not meant to belittle this addition.

kandyman

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

I definitely welcome this change; AK has always felt like the most cramped park and this will really help open that area up. In terms of pure aesthetics this is certainly a step down from before, but I feel like it was a necessary expansion and they did a fantastic job of making it blend in.

flyerjab

I think that the one thing that is good is the fact that they didn't need to add the "roots" like they did. That area could have been removed without any carved animals added. This was a change that needs to be made with what they are doing with the park moving forward and the added carvings were not needed, but they did it anyway. Nice touch Disney.

jdmdisney99

Video of the now paved over garden, starting at around 5:15...

A shame really. I understand the need to relieve expected crowds, but I hope not too much is paved (meaning basically all of the Oasis). They could just build some bypasses and crowds would just as easily dissipate...
dakbypasses.jpg

FigmentJedi

Video of the now paved over garden, starting at around 5:15...

A shame really. I understand the need to relieve expected crowds, but I hope not too much is paved (meaning basically all of the Oasis). They could just build some bypasses and crowds would just as easily dissipate...
View attachment 82016

You know, if it weren't for the headaches they'd have trying to mask/reroute the backstage stuff, that Dinoland path you sketched out could be an interesting way to expand on the Dino Institute grounds. Like sprinkle a few more of those classy dinosaur statues and bronze skeleton casts along the way.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
i wonder if the roots will extend further around the lake where the show will take place? i love the idea of being surrounded buy a huge expanse of these beautifully carved roots/walls that may even provide some kind of seating?
I wonder if the roots will grow deeper into the soil and eventually cause plumbing problems throughout the area.

Reserve your backed-up toilet 6 months in advance with Fast Pass +

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom