Chapel Hats opening at Disney Springs

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Am I the only one that's uninspired by the actual merchandise being sold at these new locales? Sure everything looks great, but realistically how long are these shops going to last?

Hard to say. I'm not a serious shopper, so I am oftentimes surprised by what lasts.

One of my prized possessions for a long time was a top hat that I purchased from The Magic Kingdom back in 1972. The store from which it was purchased is long gone and I haven't seen any other place that sells them at WDW. This store carries them.

This is the first of the new shops that falls into the category of "very likely purchase" for me. I've bought a safari style hat at DAK on two occasions and have wanted more options (especially in the fedora section of WDW hats). This store has a lot of really nice hats.

They've been around since like 2004.. And they don't appear to be dying out. Especially the sports flat bills.

Perhaps, but older folk who like hats spend a ton of money, so a store like this has no need worry about what may or may not be a fad.

Also, I just realized that @unkadug is almost certainly the nice man who gave this crying 3-year old a magical ice cream sandwich that opened the portal to the Realms of Quarnock. This led to more than a decade of life defining adventures. The adult who gave me the magical sandwich said, "In the future, on a thing called a message board, remember, I'm the uncle who really digs you". Wait a sec...that would be Uncle Dig. I must have the wrong person.

note2001

Like I said. They are not catering to the fickle teenager.

The reason this store does not and most likely will never carry flat brim hats is simply as they are like tee shirts with too many designs to keep up with.... and let's face it, right now they are associated with negative stereotypes.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
For a good laugh go see what Urban Dictionary says about flat brimmed hats.

Then think about what that teenager was saying.

Mad Stitch

DTD is also very handy for those guests who are being held captive via Magical Express, and no rental car, can get to without hiking it to the lynx stop (and most are unaware of it) or calling a cab.

Count me in. Now I'm curious, where is a lynx stop within walking distance? My guess would be along Hotel Plaza Blvd or Crossroads.

Jon81uk

Count me in. Now I'm curious, where is a lynx stop within walking distance? My guess would be along Hotel Plaza Blvd or Crossroads.

I think he meant that Disney Springs is good for those who don't want (or don't know they can) catch a Lynx bus to visit Florida Mall or another shopping venue.

You can catch Lynx buses from the TTC or from DTD near Cirque or Hotel Plaza Blvd

ptaylor

Premium Member
I was in Chapel Hats on Sunday - it was packed. Infact, I had to wait to get into the store.

I think this place will do really well, very unique.

Adam N

There's a cigar store in DTD... No one seems to question how long it will last. Don't know why a hat shop seems so wild and crazy to some people on this forum. It's a specialized shop. Hat shop. Flip flop shop. Sunglasses shop. It's not a random store selling doggy stairs to get on the bed at night. People like hats. Geez, some of you need to get a grip.

bhg469

Between the hats and flip flops I can't help but feel like this is almost like the Linq in Las Vegas. Granted no tilted kilt :( but when I was there last week, I couldnt help feeling it was similar.

TheRabbit

I agree with some of the other posts, these types of hats won't sell enough to keep it around. And the sunglasses hut at the MK, they are top end name brand sunglasses ($200 and up) at retail price. I'd also be suprised if that is around in a couple of years.

ptaylor

Premium Member
I agree with some of the other posts, these types of hats won't sell enough to keep it around. And the sunglasses hut at the MK, they are top end name brand sunglasses ($200 and up) at retail price. I'd also be suprised if that is around in a couple of years.
I had to wait to get into the store because it was so busy. I think it will do very well.

Sunglass Hut at Magic Kingdom has sunglasses between $89 and $850, with a large amount at around $120. I think they will have plenty of business from South American and European tourists as people have said above, and yes, even the millions of Americans that wear Ray-Ban. I would rather buy sunglasses at a nice store in MK than at a typical mall - the price is the same.

TheRabbit

I had to wait to get into the store because it was so busy. I think it will do very well.

Sunglass Hut at Magic Kingdom has sunglasses between $89 and $850, with a large amount at around $120. I think they will have plenty of business from South American and European tourists as people have said above, and yes, even the millions of Americans that wear Ray-Ban. I would rather buy sunglasses at a nice store in MK than at a typical mall - the price is the same.
I see your point with the South American/Euro tourists, everything is cheaper here for them. But for the rest, with online shopping, most all those sunglasses are lower priced elsewhere. But you never know, maybe Disney is making enough leasing the space that they don't care how much of a cut they get off of sales. Who knows...we sure don't know. LOL

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I see your point with the South American/Euro tourists, everything is cheaper here for them. But for the rest, with online shopping, most all those sunglasses are lower priced elsewhere. But you never know, maybe Disney is making enough leasing the space that they don't care how much of a cut they get off of sales. Who knows...we sure don't know. LOL
Sunglass Hut is intersting, because they actually own Ray-Ban, Oakley, and practically all the other brands. This means they control manufacturing, as well as the distribution. Which is why you do not see Ray-Ban typically available online at lower prices, and when you do, they are usually unauthorized resellers. Sunglass Hut do very well at controlling the price and where you can buy them.

note2001

Sunglass Hut is intersting, because they actually own Ray-Ban, Oakley, and practically all the other brands. This means they control manufacturing, as well as the distribution. Which is why you do not see Ray-Ban typically available online at lower prices, and when you do, they are usually unauthorized resellers. Sunglass Hut do very well at controlling the price and where you can buy them.

Sounds familiar.
apple_logo_small.gif

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sounds familiar.
apple_logo_small.gif
Somewhat, although I would say that Apple is very different in that with Apple, you know its Apple. You know Apple design it, they control manufacturing, and they have their own stores. The interesting thing with Sunglass Hut is that most people probably don't realize that Sunglass Hut is the manufacturer of Ray-Ban, Oakley etc. And that pretty any brand you buy, from any retail store, it is all Sunglass Hut, aka Luxotica. They even control the Target eyewear stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom