The Spirited Back Nine ...

BrianLo

Sorry for the continued hijacking of the thread for Tokyo... but the skeleton plans fulfill my dream wishlist already.. The weakest elements of Tokyo Disneyland by far are their version of Smallworld and Tomorrowland Speedway (it was hacked apart long ago for Toontown).

8th Port coming on top of it all? I'm VERY excited for the future.

tumblr_ne9q38agIN1rb3d4bo1_1280.jpg

beauty and the beast area? in blue. New small world in orange. Mine train/snow white area in yellow and alice in pink. Knowing the oriental land company they aren't going to spend the money on the mine train unless they beef it up.

I think this is still a bit of a placeholder image in some regards. Likely this Fantasyland redo has been in the works for a while, but the big question mark still being whether Frozen should be stuck into the plans, or receive a dedicated port in DisneySea. I'm hopeful for the later actually.

Pink is definitely Alice, not SugarRush.
Yellow is definitely still Toontown. The part I think being referred to as SDMT is actually just this...
Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 6.08.56 PM.jpg

You can see Pooh still in the bottom left of the yellow circle as well, make out the big storybook and house.
Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 6.09.03 PM.jpg

Blue, at least the portion North of the path is all Beauty and the Beast. Note the Castle seems to actually be ground level, not just forced perspective like WDW.

Orange is a massive mystery to me. I don't think it looks anything like Small World and that makes very little logistical sense to me if it was.

It's a good amount of space... but not THAT much space, Tomorrowland Speedway was already hacked away at for Toontown.

-Small World (being replaced by Alice)
-Astro Orbiter (being replaced by a moved Dumbo)
-Half a Tomorrowland building they currently don't utilize (replaced by a village of some sort, could be akin to Disneyland's Fantasy Faire)
Tomorrowland Speedway (Be our Guest, Belle's Village, one unknown attraction).

They may somehow squeeze in a B&TB attraction as well, but unless Gadget Go Coaster is cut, there isn't much more room in there.

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 6.32.08 PM.jpg

Edit: Well that was well timed with @WDW1974... I can't believe the Smallworld Move, that shocks me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I touched upon this in other posts, but the crowds were absolutely nuts at WDW and UNI last week ... at least at the top two parks at each resort :)

The record 53-day Food and Wine Fest at EPCOT will likely expand further going on. All those premium events (lowest I saw was $49 ... most pricey was a dinner event at V&A's that was something like $600 a person) are being gauged for how they can be increased in scope and price. ... But many simply didn't work like the Thursday night parties at EPCOT that include six food or wine samples, a dance party (George and Andy like to get down and shake that booty!!!) and ... the ability to walk around EPCOT all the way from the UK pavilion to the World Showcase Plaza until 1 a.m. all for the low-low-low price of $79 a person. A friend who went said it was worth $49, which is funny because that's what they dropped the price to for CMs.

The business model is all about segregating guests based on what the guests can (or are willing) to pay. Disney is the worst, but UNI during Horror Nights does plenty as well with the every-changing price of an Express Pass. Much like Disney's Villains Party in Cindy's Castle, it's just an upcharge inside an upcharge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry Y'all for derailing this lovely thread.
Feel free to continue discussing the news @WDW1974 has kindly dropped on us. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that they honest to goodness might do something!

You didn't ... much. Honestly, any thread that has substance but also substantial pages is going to go off the rails now and again (I won't talk about grabbing a great BLT at the Wawa near Sea World though, I promise!)

I do find it fascinating that the OLC opted to make their news public just as work was (and is) getting underway on the Studios Makeover. You'll be able to watch these two projects -- as well as UNI's continued expansion and Avatar at DAK and Disney's Chinese resorts -- all sort of start to happen at once in 2015. It would be better if we had new stuff, but we did just get Diagon Alley in Florida ... and DL's Diamond Annivesary Celebration to look forward to next year.

I'm starting to think it's a fun time to be a theme park fan (in general) again!

mahnamahna101

Well then looks like our new fantasyland shall pale in comparison. Now from what I can gather in the image
tumblr_ne8zuanpmZ1s49ofro1_1280.jpg

I think I see the mine train in the upper part? There's an alice miniland next to the restaurant. And a beauty and the beast area? also I think that is it's a small word next to space mountain.
Just a note or two on all the TDR excitement:

Frozen/Arrendale is going to be the new port at TDS. The highlight will be a HUGE scale modern attraction that will cost (on the low end) $350 million plus.

No Frozen product beyond entertainment will be going in TDL;

No, the SDMT isn't going to TDL;

The Raceway, the StarJets and the Tomorrowland Terrace (the absolute worst place you could eat in a park of great food) are going bye-bye;

Shockingly (and almost a fanboi's wet dream ... not the wettest as that would involve an Imagineer) they will be relocating Small World just a bit over into what was Tomorrowland;

Looks like a restaurant that overlooks the parade route will wind up where TT sits now in its 70s glory;

This won't all be built by 2017, but most work will commence by then and some may well be done;

There is no Candyland/Wreck It Ralph component. There is an expanded Alice in Wonderland presence, which includes an attraction (or two);

When all is said and done, I wish I could tell you that the makeover/rebranding of TPFKaTD-MGMS will be as impressive as either the work in just one of Tokyo's parks. But I am not and can not.

About some of the PML drama here ... my opinion hasn't changed. Posters shouldn't be using it as a defacto gossip room about other members. If someone wants to comment on this or any other thread, then do it here or there. I never say something here about anyone that I wouldn't say to their face in the real world. If my threads are interesting enough to read and comment on, then you might as well be an adult and put your thoughts here.

What's the big ride for New Fantasyland if Frozen isn't going into TDL? I don't think OLC would hype up NFL if a Wonderland mini-land and IASW moving over is all they were planning to do.

$350 million+ for one E-ticket? :geek:This better not just be a family dark ride then - I'm expecting something on par with FJ or Spidey. Or a family dark ride on par with POTC and Mystic Manor. What kind of ride system would cost that much??... RSR cost $500 million because of the rockwork... I wouldn't assume Frozen's E-ticket would be that big.

Is the new port going to just be one attraction? Or maybe include something smaller like an Olaf flat ride? Some kind of show?

Too bad TDO isn't willing to relocate IASW the way OLC is. They could nearly double Fantasyland's current size if they opened up that plot. Put a Neverland mini-land, Wonderland mini-land, Pleasure Island, Tangled & B&TB dark rides, use the old PPF building for Mary Poppins, use Princess Fairytale Hall for a Sleeping Beauty dark ride, and finally add my dream E-ticket: Bald Mountain. Also, make Storybook Circus an actual land (with a dark ride and Casey Jr. Circus Train included) and give Pooh his own mini-land (where Tea Cups, Cheshire Cafe and Cosmic Rays currently are). Use Wreck-it Ralph as a transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland

Behind IASW + Speedway + behind Speedway=8-12 new non-replacement attractions... if TDO wants it. Enough armchair Imagineering though. I'm glad someone wants their parks to live up to Walt Disney's gold standard.

Andy Whitfield

Premium members lounge...a small forum on here only for premium members to chat in and post.

Bit disappointed to learn that a "premium members lounge" exists on here for "Premium" people. What is the inclusion criteria? Why does it exist?

Anyhow. I'm sounding bitter. I'm just a tad sad to find out such a great forum has such a forum. Segregation. I'd understand if it was a technical need to discuss ways of improving the forum's and ways to moderate the forums. Can anyone shed any light?

anyhow. I am enjoying this part nine. thank you @WDW1974 ? (how do you link someone in here?)

What do you thing the 2 major "E" tickets will be? Whats going on with streets of America? Theresa the part I'm finding hard to try and second guess there plans!

lazyboy97o

Bit disappointed to learn that a "premium members lounge" exists on here for "Premium" people. What is the inclusion criteria? Why does it exist?

Anyhow. I'm sounding bitter. I'm just a tad sad to find out such a great forum has such a forum. Segregation. I'd understand if it was a technical need to discuss ways of improving the forum's and ways to moderate the forums. Can anyone shed any light?

anyhow. I am enjoying this part nine. thank you @WDW1974 ? (how do you link someone in here?)

What do you thing the 2 major "E" tickets will be? Whats going on with streets of America? Theresa the part I'm finding hard to try and second guess there plans!
It's right there on the main forum page. It is a perk for financially supporting the site.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/account/upgrades

WDWFigment

I realize that comment could have been clearer. I love DA. It most definitely is close to perfect.

Gringotts is just a nice attraction that, quite frankly could have and should have, been better but is still better than anything WDW has built this century.

I'm just tired of every UNI attraction being so **** similar right now. The Lorax wouldn't have been and ... oh yeah, they killed that one.

A friend, and former poster here who is on his way back from Asia right now (and I hope he pops in here ... hey @Kuhio, I'm talking 'bout you!) was at UNI about five or six weeks ago and loved DA but had similar feelings about Gringotts. He termed the effect to be 'Universal Fatigue' and I brought this up while with my UNI-Creative friend 'Gywn' ...the feeling is one of sameness because UNI is so infatuated with screens on its attractions. I hope he makes a return here because I absolutely agree with it.

Yes, UNI is doing some amazing work, some of the best anywhere. But while DA as a whole showcases that, Gringotts, to me, is just more of the same. It reminds me of criticism of EPCOT Center in its heyday of long, immersive Omnimover/AA-filled rides. ... At some point I think it does come down to taste and what you enjoy in a park.

FWIW, both Kuhio and 'Gywn' (you know, the one who helped build DA and Gringotts) think the greatest attraction built in the last few years anywhere is HKDL's Mystic Manor. I think @WDWFigment may well share that view as well.

Yes, I think Mystic Manor is (at minimum) the best attraction since Tower of Terror at TDS. It's one of my top 10 anywhere, all-time.

In fairness, I probably think a lot more highly of EFG than you do. I was really impressed, and I think you have to include the pre-show and build up as part of the attraction (sort of like I would with DHS's Tower of Terror). With that said, EFG was literally the first Uni attraction that I experienced since 2001, so a big part of my opinion was formed before I had a chance to experience 'screen fatigue.' Maybe if I rode it again today, I wouldn't think quite so highly of it? Even then, I doubt my opinion would drop all that much.

BTW - I posted it the same night you started this, but I responded to most of the questions you asked about Halloween in Asia.

As for your game, my guess is Indianapolis. What do I get if I win?!?! ;)

mahnamahna101

2 major "E" tickets, 1 major "D" ticket:
Star Wars (speedbike coaster or Twister dark ride)
Cars dark ride or MI Door coaster (more likely a "D" than an "E")
GMR replacement (trackless dark ride)

SirLink

When all is said and done, I wish I could tell you that the makeover/rebranding of TPFKaTD-MGMS will be as impressive as either the work in just one of Tokyo's parks. But I am not and can not.

I don't think anyone would think that. At this point I would settle for slightly better quality than DCA 2.0 ... so quality wise where would you place this rebranding then Spirit in terms of quality we will gain?

BrerJon

Orange is a massive mystery to me. I don't think it looks anything like Small World and that makes very little logistical sense to me if it was.

As 74 has said, Small Word is moving, and I think that image just shows a redesigned new look modern facade for the ride, more appropriate for an attraction on the edge of Tomorrowland to help make the land transition more seamless.

BrerJon

What's the big ride for New Fantasyland if Frozen isn't going into TDL? I don't think OLC would hype up NFL if a Wonderland mini-land and IASW moving over is all they were planning to do.

The overall press release was a more general statement of what the money will be spent on. As well as new attractions, they talk about things like upgrading the IT and infrastructure (for a pittence of what it cost Florida to do the same), enhancing CM training (because service is so bad in Japan, sheesh!), and general maintenance and upgrades to ensure the best Disney resort stays that way.

As far as TNFL, I suspect something big is in the works for the Small World plot, but at this stage they want to concentrate on the Frozen port and the smaller changes, possibly deciding at a later date what to use the land for, or maybe just keep it free to give them space for future expansion once the rest is done.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

$350 million+ for one E-ticket? :geek:This better not just be a family dark ride then - I'm expecting something on par with FJ or Spidey. Or a family dark ride on par with POTC and Mystic Manor. What kind of ride system would cost that much??... RSR cost $500 million because of the rockwork... I wouldn't assume Frozen's E-ticket would be that big.

Is the new port going to just be one attraction? Or maybe include something smaller like an Olaf flat ride? Some kind of show?

Too bad TDO isn't willing to relocate IASW the way OLC is. They could nearly double Fantasyland's current size if they opened up that plot. Put a Neverland mini-land, Wonderland mini-land, Pleasure Island, Tangled & B&TB dark rides, use the old PPF building for Mary Poppins, use Princess Fairytale Hall for a Sleeping Beauty dark ride, and finally add my dream E-ticket: Bald Mountain. Also, make Storybook Circus an actual land (with a dark ride and Casey Jr. Circus Train included) and give Pooh his own mini-land (where Tea Cups, Cheshire Cafe and Cosmic Rays currently are). Use Wreck-it Ralph as a transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland

Behind IASW + Speedway + behind Speedway=8-12 new non-replacement attractions... if TDO wants it. Enough armchair Imagineering though. I'm glad someone wants their parks to live up to Walt Disney's gold standard.

I don't like the Speedway, but enough kids seem to really like it that I've come to peace with its existence. I wish they would really theme it though. Build the Pagoda, have a dude waving the green or checkered flag, have a giant column with running positions on it, dump milk on you and put a giant ring of roses around your neck when its done (OK, that last one is a bit much). Have big murals of grandstands with people in them around the course. Heck, you could even have Jim Nabors singing Back Home in Indiana and Florence Henderson singing God Bless America on a big screen visible from the queue. From time to time release a hundred balloons or so. Just a few little touches and you have something that is better themed and more fun.

I do LOVE the idea (I don't know/remember who first suggested it) of having IaSW moved to one end of WS. It would fit perfectly. It would free up a fair chunk of space for an attraction or two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom