Disney Quest's 'Ride the Comix' set to close this weekend

Gullywhumper

Seriously, it's not like they were even closing it to add in something new...but instead more area to eat. I'm sure most people don't go into Disney Quest to eat, lol. So that is a terrible choice on their part.

Last edited:

Maerj

Armchair Imagineering: Re-theme Disney Quest to Game Central Station

They are having success with their Disney Infinity... maybe they could tie that into this? That could be the hook that they would need to have Disney Quests pop up around the country. Let players make their own worlds and interact with players at home and in other cities.

FigmentJedi

They are having success with their Disney Infinity... maybe they could tie that into this? That could be the hook that they would need to have Disney Quests pop up around the country. Let players make their own worlds and interact with players at home and in other cities.
Infinity isn't big enough of a crutch for a nationwide Disney Quest: We have this magical thing called the internet now after all. Besides, Disney's never had much luck with Regional Entertainment: Besides the failure of Chicago DisneyQuest and the franchise becoming stillborn, you also had that Club Disney thing that crashed and burned.

Thumper 32

Infinity isn't big enough of a crutch for a nationwide Disney Quest: We have this magical thing called the internet now after all. Besides, Disney's never had much luck with Regional Entertainment: Besides the failure of Chicago DisneyQuest and the franchise becoming stillborn, you also had that Club Disney thing that crashed and burned.

Don't forget also the ESPN Zones that pretty much all closed up. Is Anaheim the only one left now?

mm121

This is absolutely one of the dumbest decisions they've made in awhile.

DQ is so old and needs a revamp, but removing an attraction to make more seating for crappy food is down right STUPID.

Who the heck is going to pay $50 bucks just to go in and waste time to eat, even if admission is included in other tickets, no ones going to DQ simply to eat.

Yes this attraction is terribly outdated, but why not update it, I'm sure there's tons of new Virtual Reality tech available.

Heck, if Disney doesn't want to pay for it, get it sponsored by Oculous or something, they make those cool VR helments I believe that are on the cutting edge, would be great marketing for them as they are trying to get more popular in the home market.

Looks like Oculus, and Samsung are working together to make a VR helment, I'm sure they'd gladly create an attraction for DQ,

Samsung Gear

At this point they should just throw in the towel and go back to the card systems where you buy points for what you want to do, which frankly isn't much.

The whole concept needs a makeover, or they just need to give up and get an outside company to do it.

Nmoody1

And yet its head is now CFO!!!

71jason

Don't forget also the ESPN Zones that pretty much all closed up. Is Anaheim the only one left now?

I think DTD is one of the few places an ESPN Zone could actually survive. Virtually no competition from "hometown" sports bars, and a a built-in customer base in the tens of thousands looking for a place to watch televised sports, including plenty of international soccer fans.

That said, I wouldn't mind a true IMAX or just about anything else, either.

Jon81uk

There was 2 Ride the Comix areas, one on the topfloor between Alien Invasion and FoodQuest then one on the floor below between the arcade and the Wonderland Cafe.
The top floor one never seemed to be open (in fact I often thought there was only FoodQuest on the top floor!). Are they closing the Ride the Comix near the Wonderland Cafe too?

The whole of DisneyQuest needs some work doing to it so hopefully the seating area will be temporary and they have some new ideas?

lobelia

My family loves Disney Quest. It will be shame if it were to close. It is not often you have access to Virtual Reality experiences. My son rode the design your own roller coaster over and over. Honestly, I thought part of the experience was to be able to play the outdated video and pinball games that you can't find anywhere else.

jakeman

From what I've hear (insider alert! @xdan0920), everything inside the building is completely paid for. Other than utilities and staff everything else is pure profit. There is no incentive there (from a money standpoint) to improve the product.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just relaying what I've heard.

mm121

My family loves Disney Quest. It will be shame if it were to close. It is not often you have access to Virtual Reality experiences. My son rode the design your own roller coaster over and over. Honestly, I thought part of the experience was to be able to play the outdated video and pinball games that you can't find anywhere else.

you can get better gaming experiences at your own home these days for less money. and not sure what VR experiences your referring to, as all the ones at DQ are extremely outdated graphics/technology wise

as far as the coaster thing, theres new tech for this at some places that is alot smoother in operation, I'd rather go on a real coaster anyday.

From what I've hear (insider alert! @xdan0920), everything inside the building is completely paid for. Other than utilities and staff everything else is pure profit. There is no incentive there (from a money standpoint) to improve the product.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just relaying what I've heard.

I totally wouldn't doubt this at all, considering nothing new has been added in years and years nor has anything been renovated.

it definitely shows, as lots of areas of DQ haven't even been repainted in years.

FigmentJedi

Heck, if Disney doesn't want to pay for it, get it sponsored by Oculous or something, they make those cool VR helments I believe that are on the cutting edge, would be great marketing for them as they are trying to get more popular in the home market.
Replacing the dinosauric cumbersome VR headsets with Oculus Rift ones and maybe adding some monitors to show what's going on inside while people wait for their turn would go a long way I think.

Jon81uk

you can get better gaming experiences at your own home these days for less money. and not sure what VR experiences your referring to, as all the ones at DQ are extremely outdated graphics/technology wise as far as the coaster thing, theres new tech for this at some places that is alot smoother in operation, I'd rather go on a real coaster anyday.

Except you are going to have to spend hundreds of dollars to play the games at home, DisneyQuest tickets are effectively free if you are going to use the options correctly (or I get UK tickets which include DQ).
I can play as much skeeball, air hockey, shoot em up games at DQ as I like and I don't have any of those machines at home.

Andsome

While I never got a chance to "Ride the Comix", I will say that I'm still disappointed by the fact that they dumbed down the Cybrolators.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's a shame they could have easily rethemed the attraction to an IP that uses another "laser sword" *hint hint*
Dooku_Open_Seasons.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom