Has anybody ever visited WDW alone?

soxfan040713

I consider myself a pretty big WDW veteran (11 times in 21 years, probably not as impressive as some of you on here lol), all with my parents/family. Now that I'm older (26) and working full time, I've had so many urges to just drop everything and make a trip. Being a guy its understandably hard to convince friends my age to pick Disney as their destination for a vacation, and my family is getting older and can't exactly go at the same pace as they used to. Has anybody traveled to WDW alone? Is it awkward/weird? Just wondering if anyone has traveled solo and how their experiences were, interested to find out!

zurgandfriend

I have to travel to Orlando for business from time to time and usually manage a few nights and at least one day at WDW. As to going solo as Tony the Tiger says "It's great!" I can travel at my own pace, see what I want and skip what I want. I can grab a hot dog at Casey's or eat at Cosmic Ray's, Columbia house or House Sunshine Seasons.

Upvote 0

Marc Gil

I actually spent my morning at Epcot alone today... It was strange at first, and I felt like everyone was staring at me... But after a while, it felt great!

You go at your own pace, you're not rushed or waiting for anyone. It's pretty sweet, I'd recommend it.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

I am tied into being a family guy but in my minds eye I picture myself being a little quiet and intimidated at first but making friends in the queue lines pretty quickly...give it a shot, you never know what might come of it!

Upvote 0

BuddyThomas

I'm gonna have to start doing this myself because all my friends are broke actors and they can never go unless I pay, and my partner has this crap rule that we can never go back until at least three new attractions have opened. At that rate, I'll be back in around 20 years. Seriously thinking of doing a solo trip here. Hmmmmm........

Upvote 0

cw1982

Now I want to take a solo trip! We just got back Saturday, and I do have an aunt who is bugging me to visit her who lives in Ocala (which is about 90 minutes north of Orlando)... DH has already said he can't take anymore time off of work right now to go with me to visit her... nothing wrong with a little day trip detour, right? ;)

Upvote 0

badrew

Back in 2011 and 2012, I did solo summer trips and one of my biggest worries was dining alone, but in the end, it never bothered me - Quick Service Dining really is easy to do on your own. I enjoyed the time on my own, not feeling rushed for anyone else's sake, taking the time to enjoy parts of the park or just people watch and no one nagging you... LOL. Try it out, if you don't like it, then you don't do it again, but very willing to bet that you will. I polled this board back when I was going to do it the first time and got a lot of great responses and found that it isn't as uncommon as one might think. My two sons and I have been going about 3 times a year for the past couple years, so no alone trips for me right now, but definitely will do again when the chance arises. Good luck and have fun.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

I'm gonna have to start doing this myself because all my friends are broke actors and they can never go unless I pay, and my partner has this crap rule that we can never go back until at least three new attractions have opened. At that rate, I'll be back in around 20 years. Seriously thinking of doing a solo trip here. Hmmmmm........

Nah...you should be good.

As long as your last trip was in 2003...LOL! Fanboi experts can now proceed to punch holes in my story;) MUWAHAHAHA!

Upvote 0

Kman101

I go solo quite often. I never feel out of place. Many people leave their families for a day or a few hours to go to a park, no one knows any different if they see you 'alone'. For all that person knows you have people waiting for you, etc. I love going solo. It's so much easier, but I've never minded doing things alone, as much as it's fun to go with others, and do things with others. Some people though just can't be alone.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

I have spent full days alone at the parks and enjoy it. It's fun to go with people, but also fun to go alone and do what you want, when you want. Or ... find a date to bring with you on the trip ... who would turn down a trip to Disney?!?

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

As an adult I have traveled to WDW solo about 15 times in 5 years (from Chicago). I absolutely love being on my time. If you have confidence and do not mind being with yourself - you will absolutely love taking in attractions as well as eating at many TS restaurants. I have traveled with friends and even my BF a few years ago and it was absolutely tragic. I am irritated when people want to lounge in the morning and its 10/11am and they just now waking up - im like this is disneyworld we need to be at the parks by 8am even after getting back to the resort after midnight the night before. On my time I can wake up early, grab some hot chocolate from the station and a danish and head to the parks first thing in the morning. Then normally I am done with my tour around 2pm and can come back to my resort for a few hours of relaxation, lunch and swim. Then head back to the parks around 6 with plenty of time to take in shows and people watch. I have dined at Ohana many times alone - request a 2 person table in the corner for some reason I always get a huge table in the middle of the room where everyone is looking at me, lol. Go for it - try it at least once.

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

I have spent full days alone at the parks and enjoy it. It's fun to go with people, but also fun to go alone and do what you want, when you want. Or ... find a date to bring with you on the trip ... who would turn down a trip to Disney?!?

Be careful though - because "I invited" I ended up paying for nearly everything. His mindset was "your staying in the hotel anyway - why should I pay half"; "you invited me to go to disney - you pay my ticket". Ah I was young and stupid back then :(

Upvote 0

Clamman73

As an adult I have traveled to WDW solo about 15 times in 5 years (from Chicago). I absolutely love being on my time. If you have confidence and do not mind being with yourself - you will absolutely love taking in attractions as well as eating at many TS restaurants. I have traveled with friends and even my BF a few years ago and it was absolutely tragic. I am irritated when people want to lounge in the morning and its 10/11am and they just now waking up - im like this is disneyworld we need to be at the parks by 8am even after getting back to the resort after midnight the night before. On my time I can wake up early, grab some hot chocolate from the station and a danish and head to the parks first thing in the morning. Then normally I am done with my tour around 2pm and can come back to my resort for a few hours of relaxation, lunch and swim. Then head back to the parks around 6 with plenty of time to take in shows and people watch. I have dined at Ohana many times alone - request a 2 person table in the corner for some reason I always get a huge table in the middle of the room where everyone is looking at me, lol. Go for it - try it at least once.
I hear ya...I'm one of the first people at the food court to make sure I'm on my way to be in the first few rows of cars parked. But usually I forget to turn on to world drive and all the sudden the sign says Animal Kingdom next right and I'm like nooooooooooo!

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

I have been many times solo and loved it, yeah there are moments where you think about sharing the moment with someone but it passes. I love having the whole trip on my schedule and only mine. As for the dining, it's really not bad at all. I go to dtd a lot for dinner and most places like RFC or trex singles can just walk in and sit at the bar with no wait which I love and most the time the bartenders will chat with you the whole time so go, enjoy. It's Disney you're there to have an awesome time don't even worry about being solo. If you ever do feel a moment outta place, just remember. Hill never see any if those people ever again haha but for real. The solo trips have honestly been some of my favorites

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I have been going solo for the F&WF for the last 5 years. I leave my hubby and kids home and take a much needed Mama trip. WDW is my happy place and I love just being there even if I do not go on any rides. I have had no issues eating or doing anything alone. I have met many many solo travelers(there are more then you would think). If you love WDW then go.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Thanks for the responses! I guess I would be more self-conscious when it came to dining but seems its not as rare as I thought

I've done semi-solo trips for a while now. I visit my son. Some days he'll stay with me others not, some days he works and I'm totally on my own. I've only done Germany on my own, where they seat you with groups, other than that I eat at QS and enjoy myself. I love the Flame at AK and look out over the water at Everest, Columbia House in the MK upstairs, peaceful and I stare at the goings on in Liberty/Tangled, people watch. Epcot the QS options are endless and wandering on your own is priceless, looking at all that just interests you. The Studios I just plow through what I like, which is not much and take advantage of single riders there and at other parks where available, the Studios I just avoid eating at all there, solo or with someone.

On the days I am there by myself I just take in my surroundings in lieu of conversation and I've got to say many people strike up conversations with me. It is a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom