Frozen ride replacing Maelstrom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

It doesn't have to be a ride. "Attraction" covers a broad amount of entertainment. It could be a live show, like Voyage of the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, a ride, a play area (I'd love to be able to walk around Elsa's Ice Palace) or other things.
You're right, which is why specifically doubted a ride at this time.

Elsa'spalace.jpg

While popularity alone shouldn't dictate new experiences I think we are all so starved for new stuff that anything would do. However I would have to disagree with you about frozen's environment.
tumblr_static_tumblr_mxemgh1qx21s659rlo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_static_frozen_fjord.jpg

look ride vehicles
tumblr_n4e4psbOTh1sj5h4oo1_1280.jpg
Large, grand vistas are difficult to create in a small showbuilding. Think of the immediate environment a person would move around. It would be a lot of snowy woods. You'd go up the mountain in the snowy woods, and then down the mountain in the snowy woods. Even then, the story is around the relationship of the sisters, and not their adventures through the environment.

Sped2424

You're right, which is why specifically doubted a ride at this time.

Large, grand vistas are difficult to create in a small showbuilding. Think of the immediate environment a person would move around. It would be a lot of snowy woods. You'd go up the mountain in the snowy woods, and then down the mountain in the snowy woods. Even then, the story is around the relationship of the sisters, and not their adventures through the environment.
I am talking about an attraction not a show!
Anafuneral.jpg

Even then there are smaller scenes they could do. Anna freezing to death, an in summer scene with olaf etc etc. If cars land can be brought to life wonderfully so can the expansive world of Arendelle. If the imagineers can pull off looking like you are in the middle of the caribben next to a ship I am sure they can make it look like you are in the midst of a blizzard on a frozen fjord.

Luigi

Disney will not make the same mistake they made with Little Mermaid and wait too long to add an attraction. Expect this within the next few years, timed to the sequel's release (oh yes, there will be a Frozen 2)
The sheer popularity of this film is astounding. It has gone beyond popular and it now in the phenomenon stage.
I think an extended meet and greet with Elsa is needed ala Enchanted Tales with Belle. Perhaps with an Olaf and also where Elsa can make the room she is in "freeze" and "snow" in front of a small audience. Double that with a simple dark ride and done. Not in Norway, but expand a part of new fantasyland.

aladdin2007

Disney will not make the same mistake they made with Little Mermaid and wait too long to add an attraction. Expect this within the next few years, timed to the sequel's release (oh yes, there will be a Frozen 2)
The sheer popularity of this film is astounding. It has gone beyond popular and it now in the phenomenon stage.
I think an extended meet and greet with Elsa is needed ala Enchanted Tales with Belle. Perhaps with an Olaf and also where Elsa can make the room she is in "freeze" and "snow" in front of a small audience. Double that with a simple dark ride and done. Not in Norway, but expand a part of new fantasyland.

It will probably happen at Disneyland way before here. There isnt room in the new fantasyland. But they could sure do something big with it at the Studios.

lazyboy97o

I am talking about an attraction not a show!
Anafuneral.jpg

Even then there are smaller scenes they could do. Anna freezing to death, an in summer scene with olaf etc etc. If cars land can be brought to life wonderfully so can the expansive world of Arendelle. If the imagineers can pull off looking like you are in the middle of the caribben next to a ship I am sure they can make it look like you are in the midst of a blizzard on a frozen fjord.
It's not an issue of constructability, but narrative importance. Frozen is not the story of Arendelle; Cars is the story of Radiator Springs. The film can still work with a different location because the where is not very important. Being overly tied to specific frame of reference does not work well in themed entertainment.

wdwfan4ver

I don't think there is room in Fantasyland for Frozen sadly and I think Disney going to make the same mistake they did with Mermaid.

DHS is the place for a Frozen Attraction. DHS does have room.
The issue with DHS is the order of stuff to add in DHS and how much Nex Gen is affecting budgets since Nex Gen is passed its budget. I think some money is going to free up once Disney Springs is done and Pandora is.

Star Wars Expansion is the priority for DHS right now, but that is years away. I also think Disney is looking at a Pixar expansion at some point based on the fact Disney looked at having Cars and Star Wars.

Sped2424

It's not an issue of constructability, but narrative importance. Frozen is not the story of Arendelle; Cars is the story of Radiator Springs. The film can still work with a different location because the where is not very important. Being overly tied to specific frame of reference does not work well in themed entertainment.
Frozen directly involves unfreezing the entire land, that is one of the focal points of the film. The fjord also plays a role in the entire tale with the guests not being able to leave soon after. Cars is just as much about lightning mcqueens change within himself as frozen is a tale of two sisters. Constructing a land as a specific frame of reference seems to be how all the successful versions do it right, carsland, harry potterland, at least when concerning an ip.

EricJ

(stupid overused .gif of Citizen Kane applauding)
That's the main issue here, that the real park designers have to focus on long after fan-fads have faded:
Disney Parks is not the Disney Movie Legends Wall, where a movie's success is rewarded with a gradiated amount of customized Imagineer work in tribute like a Main Street window, it's an amusement park--It's a place you want to go to when you want to pretend to be somewhere else.

Cars and Avatar have shifted the fanboy mantra from "Dark riiiiiide!" to "New laaaaand!", but we've lost sight of why Radiator Springs happened in the first place: They'd tried to bring Test Track to the west coast since the days of Rocket Rods, but when Lightning took up NASCAR racing, and the movie caught on....Duh. Of course.
Imagineers had a little fun creating the embellishment to surround it, but every land is still a story in itself, and I'm sure there are plenty of Cars 2 haters who also don't get the idea and say "Why did Disney need to immortalize Cars, it wasn't that great, was it?" Well, maybe that wasn't the central idea either. Lightning winning a rally wasn't the central crisis of the Cars universe, it was just being in that odd little alternate place.

Let-It-Goers (or whatever's the dismissive nickname for Frozen fangrrls more obsessed with being in love with the movie than the movie itself) are disappointed that "all Frozen got" was characters, but really....what else did you remember the movie FOR? (And don't freakin' say "The song".)

Sped2424

(stupid overused .gif of Citizen Kane applauding)
That's the main issue here, that the real park designers have to focus on long after fan-fads have faded:
Disney Parks is not the Disney Movie Hall of Fame, where a movie's success is rewarded with a gradiated amount of customized Imagineer work in tribute, it's an amusement park--It's a place you want to go to when you want to pretend to be somewhere else.

Cars and Avatar have shifted the fanboy mantra from "Dark riiiiiide!" to "New laaaaand!", but we've lost sight of why Radiator Springs happened in the first place: They'd tried to bring Test Track to the west coast since the days of Rocket Rods, but when Lightning took up NASCAR racing, and the movie caught on....Duh. Of course.
Imagineers had a little fun creating the embellishment to surround it, but every land is still a story in itself, and I'm sure there are plenty of Cars 2 haters who also don't get the idea either and say "Why did Disney need to immortalize Cars, it wasn't that great, was it?" Well, maybe that wasn't the central idea either. Lightning winning a rally wasn't the central crisis of the Cars universe, it was just being in that odd little alternate place.

Let-It-Goers (or whatever's the dismissive nickname for Frozen fangrrls more obsessed with being in love with the movie than the movie itself) are disappointed that "all Frozen got" was characters, but really....what else did you remember the movie FOR? (And don't freakin' say "The song".)
That's not what he is arguing at all.. At least when it comes to fan fads. Also you seem to be new to these threads, slamming folks on here for liking a certain IP doesn't really bode well, just ask panther. Also you would be sadly mistaken if you thought the choice of Cars for carsland had nothing to do with the fact that the series has been a cashcow for Disney. The story of Cars was the change that invoked lightning mcqueen to be a better person. What else do people remember the film for? The songs, the atmosphere, the impressive animation, the story, the twist at the end. etc, etc.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Frozen directly involves unfreezing the entire land, that is one of the focal points of the film. The fjord also plays a role in the entire tale with the guests not being able to leave soon after. Cars is just as much about lightning mcqueens change within himself as frozen is a tale of two sisters. Constructing a land as a specific frame of reference seems to be how all the successful versions do it right, carsland, harry potterland, at least when concerning an ip.
The land freezing is important, not anything specific about Arendelle. What major story changes are impacted if the story is in a more Finnish or Russian setting? What if it is Canada? I'd say most of it would still work if set in Panama, and a locale not used to cold weather would probably create another level of interest (a la the conceit of Blizzard Beach).

We never really know Arendelle through the film. Its a trading center and that is about all we know. Do we ever even learn the name of a person outside the royal family? That is very different from Radiator Springs, where we learn some of its history, meet its residents and their businesses. We learn all of that because the film is all about the small roadside towns that were similarly bypassed by highways. Cars Lands thus connects to something specific (Radiator Springs) and something broader (the towns that inspired the film).

Matt_Black

Its a trading center and that is about all we know. Do we ever even learn the name of a person outside the royal family?

Yes. Kai and Gerda are the names of the two servants in the palace, and several of the trolls are also named. And, of course, Oaken at the Trading Post (Hoo-hoo!).

Sped2424

The land freezing is important, not anything specific about Arendelle. What major story changes are impacted if the story is in a more Finnish or Russian setting? What if it is Canada? I'd say most of it would still work if set in Panama, and a locale not used to cold weather would probably create another level of interest (a la the conceit of Blizzard Beach).

We never really know Arendelle through the film. Its a trading center and that is about all we know. Do we ever even learn the name of a person outside the royal family? That is very different from Radiator Springs, where we learn some of its history, meet its residents and their businesses. We learn all of that because the film is all about the small roadside towns that were similarly bypassed by highways. Cars Lands thus connects to something specific (Radiator Springs) and something broader (the towns that inspired the film).
Kristoff would fit the bill, as would Oaken, Kai and gerda the servants, the duke of weslton or whatever his name is. We learn that there are ice harvesters from this land very early in the film, Castle and it's docks is a center for trade that ships come through. There is a small town right across the street from the castle in which the people live that leads directly into the mountains across the fjords. Speaking of which the fjord also again plays a role in the film as it serves for the base of elsa's escape, and eventual haven plus the folks came in through it to which it soon freezes. The landscaping is defined in the story, although I will say not as in great detail as in cars, but not non existent to the story. The film does build a land with it's own inhabitants and rules. Albeit not to the detail of some of carslands story telling, but not non existent either.

lazyboy97o

Kristoff would fit the bill, as would Oaken, Kai and gerda the servants, the duke of weslton or whatever his name is. We learn that there are ice harvesters from this land very early in the film, Castle and it's docks is a center for trade that ships come through. There is a small town right across the street from the castle in which the people live that leads directly into the mountains across the fjords. Speaking of which the fjord also again plays a role in the film as it serves for the base of elsa's escape, and eventual haven plus the folks came in through it to which it soon freezes. The landscaping is defined in the story, although I will say not as in great detail as in cars, but not non existent to the story. The film does build a land with it's own inhabitants and rules. Albeit not to the detail of some of carslands story telling, but not non existent either.
Landscape is not place. Why must Else run across a Norwegian-inspired fjord and not one inspired by elsewhere or even a bay or sound?

SpectroMan93

Just because you didn't like the film doesn't give you the right to be condescending toward those who did. And not only are you being condescending, you are clearly trying to instigate unnecessary arguing on this thread about something that people are trying to discuss respectfully. If people like the movie and want a ride, that's their opinion to have, it is not an opportunity for you to ridicule.

Sped2424

Landscape is not place. Why must Else run across a Norwegian-inspired fjord and not one inspired by elsewhere or even a bay or sound?
Why must lightning mcqueen go down to radiator springs and not some other made up town that could be placed along route 66? Why even route 66 why not beartooth highway? Or the turquoise trail? Tis an endless game.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Why must lightning mcqueen go down to radiator springs and not some other made up town that could be placed along route 66? Why even route 66 why not beartooth highway? Or the turquoise trail?
Route 66 is the best known case of a US Highway building up a string of small towns and then being killed by the Interstate Highway System. Yes, it could be another highway, but that may not communicate as quickly. But the story would not work if Radiator Spring was a big, cosmopolitan city. It would not work as well located in a more densely populated part of the US. And it would work even less being set in another country that did not have the same sort of car culture and large scale development around the car. Lightning McQueen learns and changes directly because of his experiences in Radiator Spring; following him we too are supposed to leave the film more appreciative of our small towns that we just speed past. The film is inspired by the towns of Route 66 and about them. Frozen is not about Norwegian seaside towns.

EricJ

Tis an endless game.

Yes, and it's called "I know you are, but what am I?"
In which one player, feeling picked on that his ideas to express his love don't quite work in real-world logistic or conceptual terms, tries to turn every table, no matter how nonsensically, and say "Well, here's why your ideas don't make sense either, so we're equal--And if we're equal, I guess it's possible then?"

It's not EXACTLY helping shout down all those mean-people's accusations that Frozen fans are just acting out of their brief love-fling at the moment, and not giving any serious thought to how attractions are actually thought out by those hired to design them.
In fact, you might want to stop, the game gets old after a while.

Sped2424

Yes, and it's called "I know you are, but what am I?"
In which one player, feeling picked on that his ideas to express his love don't quite work in real-world logistic or conceptual terms, tries to turn every table, no matter how nonsensically, and say "Well, here's why your ideas don't make sense either, so we're equal--And if we're equal, I guess it's possible then?"

It's not EXACTLY helping shout down all those mean-people's accusations that Frozen fans are just acting out of their brief love-fling at the moment, and not giving any serious thought to how attractions are actually thought out by those hired to design them.
In fact, you might want to stop, the game gets old after a while.
It's funny but I don't remember having any sort of argument or debate with you. I am just debating my point of view which seems to have set a spark in you. I understand if you don't like the film, but to go so far as to call the people that do crazy or try to demean them isn't necessary. I am just being cordial with you but if that's how you are going to carry yourself on these boards you won't have a nice time here. I have given the idea very serious thought, and again you are not offering much in terms of opposition while @lazyboy97o is which is why I was debating with him and not you in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom