PHOTOS - Starbucks West Side concept art and construction pictures

Siren

The design elements are in stark contrast to the few conceptual renderings Disney released for Disney Springs. I can't guess what "neighborhood" this will go in. Disney Springs is supposed to be comprised of an eclectic and "contemporary" mix of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences, so it will have to blend in somewhere.

This appears to be a LEED certified Starbucks that incorporates contemporary sustainable design elements through utilization of green building materials and it appears to be quite spacious, too.

Some parts of that design reminds me so much of my library but on a much smaller scale, of course. I wish Starbucks would have implemented some different materials to break up the concrete exterior but at least it's green. Our library was originally designed to feature a green roof to complete the look. I was so disappointed when this aspect got axed due to budget concerns. I just have to give Starbucks major kudos for the green roof!

I go to Disney to get away from this. I can already see myself, spending hours responding to emails and other work related stuff. I'm happy others will enjoy it and it's very a nice addition to Downtown Disney but I will avoid this place. I'm eager to see what they do with the interior!

2d6s903.jpg

2elt3sy.jpg

k9sxu0.jpg

ionmko.jpg

2j2tao0.jpg

2ik75vn.jpg

14vojtz.jpg

33mliyx.jpg

123a1vs.jpg

29n8nkh.jpg

biplqf.jpg

NowInc

I go to Disney to get away from this. I can already see myself, spending hours responding to emails and other work related stuff. I'm happy others will enjoy it and it's very a nice addition to Downtown Disney but I will avoid this place. I'm eager to see what they do with the interior!

I know I'm already planning to write my next novel at this location!!

ThemeParkJunkee

I too am curious in what "neighborhood" this will fit in Disney Springs. While I don't much care for Downtown Disney or Disney Springs as a destination, this doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. I also get the feeling of a Starbucks Penitentury.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The design elements are in stark contrast to the few conceptual renderings Disney released for Disney Springs. I can't guess what "neighborhood" this will go in. Disney Springs is supposed to be comprised of an eclectic and "contemporary" mix of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences, so it will have to blend in somewhere.

This appears to be a LEED certified Starbucks that incorporates contemporary sustainable design elements through utilization of green building materials and it appears to be quite spacious, too.

Some parts of that design reminds me so much of my library but on a much smaller scale, of course. I wish Starbucks would have implemented some different materials to break up the concrete exterior but at least it's green. Our library was originally designed to feature a green roof to complete the look. I was so disappointed when this aspect got axed due to budget concerns. I just have to give Starbucks major kudos for the green roof!

2d6s903.jpg

2elt3sy.jpg

k9sxu0.jpg

ionmko.jpg

2j2tao0.jpg

2ik75vn.jpg

14vojtz.jpg

33mliyx.jpg

123a1vs.jpg

29n8nkh.jpg

biplqf.jpg

Right there with ya.

This concept is suppose to fit into a cohesive Disney Springs redevelopment?
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-springs-at-walt-disney-world-resort/#photo-1 How? It appears Disney is mucking up Springs even before a parking garage is complete.

This concept screams City Walk not Springs. I love the irony that with all the talent Food Services has on property that Disney cannot hunt down top quality coffee on their own or have the wherewithal to train a barista.
Reminds me of when Disney had to bring in McDonalds to service burgers and fries. History does repeat itself, even at Disney World.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Right there with ya.

This concept is suppose to fit into a cohesive Disney Springs redevelopment?
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-springs-at-walt-disney-world-resort/#photo-1 How? It appears Disney is mucking up Springs even before a parking garage is complete.

This concept screams City Walk not Springs. I love the irony that with all the talent Food Services has on property that Disney cannot hunt down top quality coffee on their own or have the wherewithal to train a barista.
Reminds me of when Disney had to bring in McDonalds to service burgers and fries. History does repeat itself, even at Disney World.

People pay a premium for Starbucks (not me) because it is familiar, tastes good and is consistant. If guests want Starbucks (based on the lines at MK I think we all know the answer), Disney is smart to lease the space to them as it brings a little something familiar to DS/DTD and hopefully keeps guests there spending money. The outside theming looks to match the individual locations, why get bent over something so minor?

The same could be said for Ghirardelli, Haggen Daz, etc. They are everywhere, why do they need to be in DS/DTD?

Gabe1

image.jpg
People pay a premium for Starbucks (not me) because it is familiar, tastes good and is consistant. If guests want Starbucks (based on the lines at MK I think we all know the answer), Disney is smart to lease the space to them as it brings a little something familiar to DS/DTD and hopefully keeps guests there spending money. The outside theming looks to match the individual locations, why get bent over something so minor?

The same could be said for Ghirardelli, Haggen Daz, etc. They are everywhere, why do they need to be in DS/DTD?

I agree with MK & Epcot matching. I'm not seeing the Starbucks theming match to Springs from the Springs concept drawings. Last week I didn't see lines at Starbucks. Actually other than first thing in the morning, actually the balance of the day in both MK and Epcot it was empty. Club Cool had substantially more action.

Last edited:

Lord_Vader

I agree with MK & Epcot matching. I'm not seeing the Starbucks theming match to Springs from the Springs concept drawings. Last week I didn't see lines at Starbucks. Actually other than first thing in the morning, actually the balance of the day in both MK and Epcot it was empty.

Really, the West Side is sort of industrial/hardscape with greys and concrete which fits quite well and the Marketplace location looks like an extension of WoD so matches very well.

Of course they are not going to be nearly as busy in the afternoon as the morning, coffee is generally consumed early in the day with specialty iced/cold coffee drinks consumed later in the day.

Kman101

Way too much of a big deal is made over a coffee place, honestly. At least they're theming it and I presume they want Disney Springs to be modern. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like anything's really being ripped away for this (that I'm aware of but I haven't been to Downtown Disney in quite a while). And if the lines are any indication, Starbucks is popular. Not for me at all, but I just don't see the big deal. It's a neat design overall.

I agree about the mishmash of theming though. It's as if no one in the theme parks cares about what's around a building anymore. They just come up with a great looking design and plop it right down with little regard to what's around it. So I can see that complaint, but is it really the end of the world?

At least the World of Disney one 'fits' with the store design, I suppose. I don't visit Starbucks near me and I probably wouldn't in any of the parks, either. Good coffee or not. But I'm not going to just knock the design to knock it. And I don't see how it's "City Walk" either. Do we need Ghiradelli everywhere? Didn't DCA add Ghiradelli? (And not to mention Earl of Sandwich popping up other places too)

I do have a problem with Starbucks EVERYWHERE (including EPCOT and DHS). I noticed there's one in Cabana Bay at Universal. Starbucks must be raking it in. Good for them, but it's becoming overkill, IMHO. What's the word ... too much of a good thing. But I've always been on to shy away from falling in line with the brands and I wait years to watch movies or TV shows that are "popular". So, I have a different mind frame I guess.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do have a problem with Starbucks EVERYWHERE (including EPCOT and DHS). I noticed there's one in Cabana Bay at Universal. Starbucks must be raking it in. Good for them, but it's becoming overkill, IMHO. What's the word ... too much of a good thing. But I've always been on to shy away from falling in line with the brands and I wait years to watch movies or TV shows that are "popular". So, I have a different mind frame I guess.
It won't go away until people stop lining up with their wallets open.

Starbucks went through a minor contraction during the last recession, but you sill have numerous instances where you have a 2 or more Starbucks's located in sight of each other and all make a sick profit. Far too many people like something because they are told to and I do not see than changing anytime soon.

Kman101

Starbucks went through a minor contraction during the last recession, but you sill have numerous instances where you have a 2 or more Starbucks's located in sight of each other and all make a sick profit. Far too many people like something because they are told to and I do not see than changing anytime soon.

Very good point.

And I also view at is ... things come and go. I mean, Starbucks could absolutely be around and in the parks (Uni included) for years and years to come but I look at it this way, what happens when that dies down. When that bright and shiny new coffee maker shows up? I can see why some compare it to McDonald's in the park. All that effort for McDonald's and it's now gone. I just don't see the long-term point, but it seems that it's all about "money now ... think later" and that's not a very good business model in the long run. But I'm not a business major either and don't claim to be the most in the know about how to run a business. BUT I guess you can't think of "what if ... 10 years from now or such".

And not saying Starbucks is going away, but it could. I'm sure some brands never thought they'd go extinct either.

Lord_Vader

Way too much of a big deal is made over a coffee place, honestly. At least they're theming it and I presume they want Disney Springs to be modern. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like anything's really being ripped away for this (that I'm aware of but I haven't been to Downtown Disney in quite a while). And if the lines are any indication, Starbucks is popular. Not for me at all, but I just don't see the big deal. It's a neat design overall.

I agree about the mishmash of theming though. It's as if no one in the theme parks cares about what's around a building anymore. They just come up with a great looking design and plop it right down with little regard to what's around it. So I can see that complaint, but is it really the end of the world?

At least the World of Disney one 'fits' with the store design, I suppose. I don't visit Starbucks near me and I probably wouldn't in any of the parks, either. Good coffee or not. But I'm not going to just knock the design to knock it. And I don't see how it's "City Walk" either. Do we need Ghiradelli everywhere? Didn't DCA add Ghiradelli? (And not to mention Earl of Sandwich popping up other places too)

As long as they stop where they are I am okay with it. Just don't want to see this...

simpsons_starbucks.jpg

And I pray each and every day they don't bring in Chick-Fil-A, they are EVERYWHERE now, there is no escape.

Kman101

Chik-fil-A is another that's become too much of a good thing. It seems to be everywhere. There's this mentality that "bigger is better ... more is better ..." and I just never find that to be the case. Like I said, I know I think differently lol (not that it's a bad thing).

For example, I'm STILL working on watching every Harry Potter ;) and let the first book sit for QUITE a while.

(Though I'm not trying to make this into Uni/WDW, it was just an example of how I ... wait lol)

Gabe1

Really, the West Side is sort of industrial/hardscape with greys and concrete which fits quite well and the Marketplace location looks like an extension of WoD so matches very well.

Of course they are not going to be nearly as busy in the afternoon as the morning, coffee is generally consumed early in the day with specialty iced/cold coffee drinks consumed later in the day.

There was nobody in line what so ever in the afternoon. Our Starbucks here is busy from open 'till close as are the ones in the malls. Disney not so much. The Bakery had the right concept, coffee and morning fare in the early hours and a bakery by afternoon and night.

Gabe1

I agree with most of what you are saying but it depends on which business model Disney is looking at which year. Disney is rather inconsistent when building their models. Back to McDonalds, they were always busy, always had guests with their wallets out and *poof* Disney loved Swan and Dolphin and now they are the ugly step sister to Disney. Same with the hotels on Hotel Row in DTD. DL, they are a tad bit more loyal. Fickle company they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom