No Giselle in Disney parks?

ToyStorygirl

Original Poster
Or a bad one. 10% of zero is zero.;)
This is true. Johnny could have negotiated a small percentage or even agreed to not getting any.

I know for a fact he visits kids in hospital unannounced dressed as Jack so maybe Disney just have a better agreement with him where he uses the character when he wants and so do they

tl77

I think it's basically a case of "dose the end justify the means" I don't think the Giselle character is popular enough to sell merchandise or warrant paying a theme park actress to portray her in M&Gs. So basically I don't think it'd be a worthwhile business move to pay Amy Adams for her likeness if they there isn't much potential much to turn a profit on the Giselle character.

Jack Sparrow on the other hand was so popular they have 4 movies (at counting) starring "Jack", they also felt the need to add him into the ride and build a separate Jack Sparrow attraction at the Studios, along with all the along with all the M&Gs, merch, video games, ect.. basically they can make a lot of money off Jack Sparrow so in this case it is worth it to pay Johnny Depp for his likeness

FerretAfros

I would be shocked if he face characters qualify as using an actor's likeness. It's not like Amy Adams' face would be grafted onto the performers; they would just be wearing similar clothes and acting the part. Merchandise is tricky, since it would either be based on Amy Adams or the cartoon version of her, but a performer playing a character should be exempt

One reason I've heard for keeping her out of the parks is the cost of her costume. The white dress she wore in the pre-parade reportedly cost ~$100,000 to create, and was nearly impossible to keep clean. Additionally it was so bulky that the dress was kept in the carriage, and the performer slipped into and out of it there, rather than in a dressing room. There's no realistic way that they could have used that outfit for meet & greets, and management didn't think that her curtain dress was recognizable enough to work in the parks

Plus, if you pay attention in the movie, she's not actually a princess. She's just a girl living in the woods who almost marries a prince. No need to jump through hoops chasing after the merchandise rights for a character who isn't royal

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think it's basically a case of "dose the end justify the means" I don't think the Giselle character is popular enough to sell merchandise or warrant paying a theme park actress to portray her in M&Gs. So basically I don't think it'd be a worthwhile business move to pay Amy Adams for her likeness if they there isn't much potential much to turn a profit on the Giselle character.

Jack Sparrow on the other hand was so popular they have 4 movies (at counting) starring "Jack", they also felt the need to add him into the ride and build a separate Jack Sparrow attraction at the Studios, along with all the along with all the M&Gs, merch, video games, ect.. basically they can make a lot of money off Jack Sparrow so in this case it is worth it to pay Johnny Depp for his likeness

I'm wondering if they're paying Julie Andrews for the rights to her "likeness" as Mary Poppins. I've heard conflicting reports about it from various people at different levels of entertainment management.

Cmdr_Crimson

While it is because of using Amy Adams likeness, Giselle was never animated from Walt Disney Animation. The animation sequences were done by James Baxter Animation who did a lot of the earlier animated films from Dreamworks (Prince of Egypt, El Dorado, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmeron, Sinbad..Etc). She's technically not even a "Disney Princess" as to many have speculated since it was a Disney Produced film and did a pre-show parade carriage pass by at DHS during the last year of the Stars & Motor cars parade.
P1-0005.JPG

tl77

I'm wondering if they're paying Julie Andrews for the rights to her "likeness" as Mary Poppins. I've heard conflicting reports about it from various people at different levels of entertainment management.

I could see that they might be paying Julie Andrews something because not only is the film and character of Mary Poppins still extremely popular, but she also won a Golden Globe and an Oscar for it, and it basically launched her career in films, plus shes done various other things for Disney over the years.

But I still think it comes back to "how popular is this particular character?" Mary Poppins and Jack Sparrow are world famous movie characters that people seem to want to Meet and Greet, but I just don't think there would be much of a line to meet Giselle, and I don't think that has anything to do with Amy Adams, it's more just that the Enchanted film simply wasn't as big a hit as Mary Poppins or Pirates.

Disney also produced 2 "Princess Diaries" movies, which stared Anne Hathaway and also Julie Andrews. I guess technically though, that makes Anne Hathaway a Disney Princess, but I don't know if there's the same amount of interest in Meeting and Greeting the Princess Diaries princess as there is in meeting Cinderella

stevehousse

When I was at the world last month a cm was telling guests near us, who was asking about marry poppins why she I only out for a short time when she's in the parks, and that was the answer he gave. They hve to pay Julie Andrews royalties since she owns the rights to te character.

Zummi Gummi

When I was at the world last month a cm was telling guests near us, who was asking about marry poppins why she I only out for a short time when she's in the parks, and that was the answer he gave. They hve to pay Julie Andrews royalties since she owns the rights to te character.

She can't own the rights to the character, since she didn't create it. It is possible, however, that she owns the rights to the character's likeness as portrayed by herself in the films. This is what I'm trying to ascertain and I keep getting conflicting reports about it.

The cm you spoke with could actually get in a lot of trouble for giving you the answer he/she did. In the parks, there is no "Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins," only Mary Poppins. The correct onstage answer for when a guest asks about Mary's whereabouts is something along the lines of "you know that Mary Poppins, whenever the winds change she's off!"

Zummi Gummi

I could see that they might be paying Julie Andrews something because not only is the film and character of Mary Poppins still extremely popular, but she also won a Golden Globe and an Oscar for it, and it basically launched her career in films, plus shes done various other things for Disney over the years.

But I still think it comes back to "how popular is this particular character?" Mary Poppins and Jack Sparrow are world famous movie characters that people seem to want to Meet and Greet, but I just don't think there would be much of a line to meet Giselle, and I don't think that has anything to do with Amy Adams, it's more just that the Enchanted film simply wasn't as big a hit as Mary Poppins or Pirates.

Disney also produced 2 "Princess Diaries" movies, which stared Anne Hathaway and also Julie Andrews. I guess technically though, that makes Anne Hathaway a Disney Princess, but I don't know if there's the same amount of interest in Meeting and Greeting the Princess Diaries princess as there is in meeting Cinderella

It may in fact come down to popularity, I agree. To my knowledge there is no Giselle merchandise currently available (besides perhaps, copies of the film itself), but there's lots of Jack Sparrow merchandise available. I can't imagine a Giselle meet and greet being very popular, and I imagine many people wouldn't even know who she was. A colleague of mine who used to be good friends with Giselle in the pre-parade said guests were constantly mistaking her friend Giselle for Cinderella.

asianway

Julie Andrews does not own the rights to Mary Poppins in any way, shape, or form. Neither do Amy Adams, or Johnny Depp. In legal terms, your likeness as a character is not the same as your likeness elsewhere. That would be like saying that there could be no other voice given to Mickey Mouse than Walt, because he owned the right to voice Walt.

Merchandise can be a bit different, but Disney can have as many theme park actors/actresses play Giselle, Jack Sparrow, and Mary Poppins as they want. When they bought the rights to the books of Mary Poppins, they owned the intellectual property. When Julie Andrews signed on, she received some stipulation for her to play the character. When Johnny Depp signed on, he probably also agreed to some royalty amount for merchandising the Jack Sparrow likeness, etc. But, he has no control over the use of the character in the park.

Amy may have originated the character, but she does not own it.
Bingo. Giselle doesn't do meet n greets because she's not popular and the dress is tough to deal with operationally. Mary Poppins does have an issue with photo pass though

stevehousse

Well they weren't speaking to me I just overheard their convo as they were next to us. He said they have to pay Julie Andrews royalties anytime they sell a photo (meet n greet) of Mary poppins in te park. I'm just repeating what the cm told these people...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Bingo. Giselle doesn't do meet n greets because she's not popular and the dress is tough to deal with operationally. Mary Poppins does have an issue with photo pass though

This story seems to have lots of strong opinions with no citations on any side. It's been contentious since the movie came out. The costume thing... why not.. just make another costume? It's not like the character had one look throughout the film..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom