GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThemeParkJunkee

I know from working with the disabled community, that most people are not well read on the laws, but they love to toss them around.

And, you are correct, I don't have any autistic children (or other disabilities) in my family, but I also come from a unique perspective. As a child I was the "sickly" one (probably because I was premature), and as a result I was always told how "sick" I was, and eventually, for a period of my life, that became a crux for me as a child (and my family).

I couldn't play sports because I had Asthma, I was always getting in trouble at school because I was Hyperactive (what later became ADHD)...

I'll give you an example...I was around 10 or so when this happened. I was visiting my Grandparents, and they took me out, along with my great grandmother (who had Alzheimers, but it was mild at this point) and my great Aunt) to a Wendy's Superbar. I ordered the "all you can eat" bar. Where I was from (around DC), that meant you got a plate. The "one trip" was a bowl. I was SURE of this! So, I took the plate, and filled it up. I went to get a refill, and...was told that I couldn't! The plate was for the one trips!

I ended up throwing a fit in the middle of Wendy's, one I'm not proud of today, but...it happened. I screamed and cried and cursed out the workers. I also thoroughly embarrassed my family. We left early, and I got my bum tanned that night by my grandmother, but my parents made me feel this was ok. It was due to my "condition" over the phone. So, I self justified this behavior because they did.

It wasn't until I was around 12 or so that some military doctor finally told my parents to stop coddling me and shove me out into the real world. Stop searching for reasons and accommodations, and start looking for solutions.

He had me enroll in soccer, and after a few years of that my asthma largely went away...why? My lungs got stronger and I learned how to manage it. I started doing better in school. Why? Because I couldn't be the "stupid silly kid" who blamed it on some disease I didn't understand, rather I was held accountable.

It sucked for me at the time...but it was the best thing they ever did. Do I have issues? Sure. I'm OCD, I have social interaction issues, I have excuses out the .

But, none of that means I can't wait in a line.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you....I have been following this thread but didn't feel I could contribute much. I went to WDW when my son (ADHD, OCD, hypersensitivity issues...I think it was some sort of tactile thing according to his OT) back in 1998. I planned every day down to the last detail so he would always know the schedule. I gave him a choice of only two items for each meal so he wouldn't melt down at the decision making required. He had to be able to ask, "what are we doing now?" and get a concrete answer. It was the only time he has ever been to WDW and we managed with only one major meltdown requiring CM intervention.

I was married to a surgeon and he had all the best medical people "on the case" including the freaking Mayo Clinic. He is now 24, in college and still has social issues but apologizes to me all the time for being such a complete $%#@ when he was a kid. He learned to feel "entitled to his meltdowns" because, he was diagnosed. None of the 15 books I read about his "diagnosis" ever said "It is not OK for him to behave this way so deal with it".

Sometimes the diagnosis itself makes the person feel entitled or "weird" or different or whatever. Sometimes, dealing with the behavior is just all that is needed.

Flame On....

flynnibus

Premium Member
My what a door to open.

Just because you don't like the law doesn't mean you get to redefine it to your liking.

I've always found the law to be very dangerous because it only sets an expectation and is not an explicit law. The latest iteration of standards for accessible design put in practice this past year show just how absurd the law can be taken when people go all over-politically-correct like this country has gotten in the last 25 years.

BTW.. if you are having trouble getting those hot concert tickets you want.. you should try calling in and telling them some limitations you need accommodations for.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh gosh. :facepalm: It's not about not being able to play sports, but about finding a sport you can do. I used to dance and my asthma is horrible (and I mean, put me into the hospital bad). It's one thing to say, "not outside" because of temperature or allergies. I don't exercise outside if it's below 50 degrees. But indoors is fine usually. Most people with asthma can do badminton or volleyball. Wish I were as lucky with you and the soccer. I ride an exercise bike indoors at full speed on a regular basis. Running for more than a minute makes me wheeze:rolleyes:. All about finding the right type!

But anyway, off the asthma topic...
We've had our disputes. This isn't the thread to relive them. You know I respect you. I also think you love to find excuses.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just because you don't like the law doesn't mean you get to redefine it to your liking.

I've always found the law to be very dangerous because it only sets an expectation and is not an explicit law. The latest iteration of standards for accessible design put in practice this past year show just how absurd the law can be taken when people go all over-politically-correct like this country has gotten in the last 25 years.

BTW.. if you are having trouble getting those hot concert tickets you want.. you should try calling in and telling them some limitations you need accommodations for.
You misunderstand my point. I don't mind the law, I just think the law is commonly misunderstood.

StarWarsGirl

Also please remember that CP has a huge spectrum, much like autism. It affects some both physically and mentally, and some just one or the other. So what worked for your friend won't work for my brother even though they both had the same disability :)
Thank you for clarifying that. I was researching CP online and was having trouble finding out if it was mental as well as physical. It seemed logical that it would be mental in some cases, but thank you for backing up my hunch! :)

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thank you for clarifying that. I was researching CP online and was having trouble finding out if it was mental as well as physical. It seemed logical that it would be mental in some cases, but thank you for backing up my hunch!
If you think that means anything, you need to grow up. I've said this to you before.

omurice

How has it been getting access to DAS for the disabled without autism? The thread dealing with post-trip reviews of DAS is quiet, the last post there was late October.
Not asking who should have access, or why, or whose disability is "worse". Just asking what's the general experience of someone with a disability that is not autism when requesting the DAS card?
Does anyone have first-hand, personal experience from a trip during the last 2 months? Thanks...

StarWarsGirl

How has it been getting access to DAS for the disabled without autism? The thread dealing with post-trip reviews of DAS is quiet, the last post there was late October.
Not asking who should have access, or why, or whose disability is "worse". Just asking what's the general experience of someone with a disability that is not autism when requesting the DAS card?
Does anyone have first-hand, personal experience from a trip during the last 2 months? Thanks...

There was a bad experience a couple of pages back. Basically, people who have children without autism are having trouble getting the pass

EDIT: I found it. This person was not a child, but was disabled nonetheless
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gac-to-become-das.873666/page-123#post-5822045

StarWarsGirl

You misunderstand my point. I don't mind the law, I just think the law is commonly misunderstood.
^^This. I think people, unless they go study it, do not understand the law. This includes myself. But if you're going to argue using the law, you should go study it (not saying you don't understand it @englanddg ! I believe you ;) ). If you have a disability, you should know what it says in order to know what accommodations you are entitled to receive

omurice

There was a bad experience a couple of pages back. Basically, people who have children without autism are having trouble getting the pass

EDIT: I found it. This person was not a child, but was disabled nonetheless
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/gac-to-become-das.873666/page-123#post-5822045

Thanks for linking that post - I just read the entire thing and some of the follow-ups. What a disheartening experience! I'm looking forward to a trip in January, but after reading this have trepidation about requesting the DAS card. I'll try, since not trying would be a failure in itself, but it sounds like not a very pleasant experience, and the quotes from CMs read like a multi-paragraph, roundabout way to say "NO". There are conditions besides autism that mean you cannot tolerate a long line, and a wheelchair is not a solution in my case. It's troubling.

StarWarsGirl

Thanks for linking that post - I just read the entire thing and some of the follow-ups. What a disheartening experience! I'm looking forward to a trip in January, but after reading this have trepidation about requesting the DAS card. I'll try, since not trying would be a failure in itself, but it sounds like not a very pleasant experience, and the quotes from CMs read like a multi-paragraph, roundabout way to say "NO". There are conditions besides autism that mean you cannot tolerate a long line, and a wheelchair is not a solution in my case. It's troubling.
You're welcome. My suggestion would for you to ask to speak to a manager as soon as they say "No." And hopefully the crowds will be light for you, as they generally are in January. Have a great trip. :)

Cesar R M

speaking of non autism disabilities.. I wonder how they will handle the DEAF clients (I'm partially deaf with an implant, cant hear a thing without it).

So far I didn't had much trouble (other than struggle to understand the shows that were sound only and had no CC anywhere and the CC handheld never worked) at WDW last time I went.

StarWarsGirl

Cesar R M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom