But Seriously !

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi folks
I have a question for yourselves that has an unusually serious note (for me).
This May whilst on our Vacation my good self and my DW purchased some ears (i got the pirate ones and she got the pirate princess set).This was at AK and we proceeded to don said ears and set about our day at the park.now all went well until after the parade (the parade entertainers thought the ears were great).We were waiting for the crowd to disperse from the tail end of the parade and we both noticed we were gettign a few looks from various guests as if to say "why are you wearing those you are grown ups".Normally this would not have bothered us but we both kind of felt self concious (sp) and ended up removing said ears which never saw the light of day again.I know it's kind of our fault and we should have just ignored it but for some reason it got to us :(.
For the most part guests at Disney seem to be pretty un-judgmental and we have found that for those two weeks neither of us felt at all self concious of having lots of visible tattoo's :) ( DW gets a lot of dissaproving looks at home)
So to wind up my long ramble i ask you good people of the internet

"have you ever been made to feel uncumfortable/stupid whilst at the world and how did you deal with it ?

Thanks for sharing :D

epcotisbest

But seriously...put on your ears and wear them proudly. Plenty of adults wear Mickey ears. And even if you two were the only ones with ears in the whole dang park, so what? I personally do not understand tattoos but certainly don't make fun of or judge people with them. Now if you talked funny...instead of like me and my good ole southern drawl, that might be a different thang.

kfergdisney

I honestly do not pay much attention to people at Disney World. I'm busy being happy and everyone else should be the same way (sadly, it isn't that way). I mean I see enough strange things at Walmart that nothing else seen could surpass that craziness (and my mind cannot unsee it!!! ).
Wear your ears with pride. You are in WDW! You are supposed to be filled with the magic and wonder of Disney! It doesn't matter what you look like!

CtDisneyGuy33

I agree with rsoxguy above. I am of the opinion 1) I'm on vacation so anything goes and 2) I don't know any of these people, what do I care? I go to WDW to relax and have fun, so if people are too busy being judgmental in any way, their loss.

I'mrolling in costume for MNSSHP(Indiana Jones), plan on dancing with any character I see at the dance party (while doing either the Sprinkler, Shopping Cart or The Hustle) and hope to get a picture with either Jack/ one of the Villains.

All bets are off at Disney - have as much fun as legally possible and then go home to the judging, condescending world we live in..

AndyS2992

Adults wearing ears doesn't bother me in the slightest, although Magic Kingdom is the only park where I usually see ears. The only people that register in my mind at WDW are the super obese skipping lines in their scooters and the ones who wear clothes that don't quite fit and so they are exposing themselves :hungover:

CtDisneyGuy33

Adults wearing ears doesn't bother me in the slightest, although Magic Kingdom is the only park where I usually see ears. The only people that register in my mind at WDW are the super obese skipping lines in their scooters and the ones who wear clothes that don't quite fit and so they are exposing themselves :hungover:

Absolutely. What about the ones with the kids on leashes? I feel like I have bloodhounds chasing me...

real mad hatter

OMG:eek:....Obese people:jawdrop:...Where:eek:..Worse still...Super Obese...:jawdrop:...And exposing themselves..:eek:...Get me outa here..:joyfull:....

real mad hatter

Hi folks
This May whilst on our Vacation my good self and my DW purchased some ears (i got the pirate ones and she got the pirate princess set).This was at AK and we proceeded to don said ears and set about our day at the park.now all went well until after the parade (the parade entertainers thought the ears were great).We were waiting for the crowd to disperse from the tail end of the parade and we both noticed we were gettign a few looks from various guests as if to say "why are you wearing those you are grown ups".Normally this would not have bothered us but we both kind of felt self concious (sp) and ended up removing said ears which never saw the light of day again.I know it's kind of our fault and we should have just ignored it but for some reason it got to us :(.
For the most part guests at Disney seem to be pretty un-judgmental and we have found that for those two weeks neither of us felt at all self concious of having lots of visible tattoo's :) ( DW gets a lot of dissaproving looks at home)
So to wind up my long ramble i ask you good people of the internet

"have you ever been made to feel uncumfortable/stupid whilst at the world and how did you deal with it ?

Whit...:jawdrop:..You both walk about with silly ears on your head..:jawdrop:...Are you mad.?....:rolleyes:...No, but I'am..:mad:..How dare they stare.:devilish:...Here's what I'd do...If there's a dude giving me a stupid stare. I'd raise my eyebrows..Give him a smile:)..followed by a wink;)...( Fingers x he doesn't wink back of course ) And if it's a dudette...I'd look her up and down slowly and start sniffing like there was a stench coming from her.( Fingers x there isn't ) :joyfull:...

Allym146

That is very odd. You're at Disney World for goodness sake! Now if I saw a couple walking through my local grocery store with Mickey ears on I might do a double take (but still not judge).

I felt a tiny bit judged perhaps, at least looked at like I definitely didn't fit in, when we ate at GF. We sat in the lobby for 30 minutes enjoying the live band and there were a lot of old people drinking wine and reading books all whilst looking at us like we were common folk :(. Maaaaybe it was in my head, but I felt uncomfortable for sure. Then I got over it and walked around the shops and took pictures.

jw24

That's their problem, not yours. You can wear what you want to wear...as long as it's not vulgar and/or does not violate the dress code!

To answer the question: I'm not going to lie. Even though generally speaking, most people don't give a hoot about what I do in the bubble except maybe the CMs (But in a good way!), I do feel uncomfortable inside at times. Being Asian-American in a park where you're mostly surrounded by families and Caucasians, it's not really an ideal environment for someone who plans to do solo trips for the rest of his life and has no intentions of raising a family per say. I do admit, however, because most assume I'm not from the USA judging by my physical appearance, that possibly gives me some more leeway. I think where I'm most uncomfortable is standing in lines for character greetings. Granted, I always have a blast doing them and having great interactions and whatnot but often times, I'm the one without kids or a group of teen friends in some cases. Fortunately, I haven't had much beef from other guests. But in the end, people remember more about the interactions they got to experience as opposed to someone's else's. And overall, like everyone has already stated, what you do should be nobody's concern but yours...unless you're causing a scene that impacts a greater number of people like not moving when the line is moving or cutting in line!

jkl2000

That is very odd. You're at Disney World for goodness sake! Now if I saw a couple walking through my local grocery store with Mickey ears on I might do a double take (but still not judge).

I felt a tiny bit judged perhaps, at least looked at like I definitely didn't fit in, when we ate at GF. We sat in the lobby for 30 minutes enjoying the live band and there were a lot of old people drinking wine and reading books all whilst looking at us like we were common folk :(. Maaaaybe it was in my head, but I felt uncomfortable for sure. Then I got over it and walked around the shops and took pictures.

I'm asking because I really don't know - is it mostly old people who stay at the Grand Floridian, or have reason to be in the lobby? I would find that strange, but I don't know. If I'd been in your situation, I think I would have been wondering "Why are all these old people here?" (non-judgementally, of course.) I was only in the GF once, and it was a long time ago for just a little while, so I don't even remember what kinds of people I saw there.

75disney

We were at DL many years ago when Fantasmic was a new show. When it was over, I kept gushing to my DH how amazing the show was. People around us were looking at me weird and my DH got embarrassed by my enthusiasm. I didn't care; I loved the show!

BiffyClyro

Hi folks
This May whilst on our Vacation my good self and my DW purchased some ears (i got the pirate ones and she got the pirate princess set)..... "why are you wearing those you are grown ups".Normally this would not have bothered us but we both kind of felt self concious (sp) and ended up removing said ears which never saw the light of day again.

Personally i don't wear them, not really a fan of them but i NEVER look at anyone and judge them etc. for it! Who cares what they think! Maybe you just went on a bad day maybe, because i expect it when i'm there. You see everyone wearing them!

....But then again, i am a 21 year old women who has been wearing a cat ear head band in public for the last 3 months, so i'm not exactly queen of cool here.

..Either way, i honestly don't think you should feel self conscious.

mitchk

I have never worn the ears, but I'm going to get a pair of those glow with the show ears in Nov.
Anyway, you should never be embarrassed to sport the ears, like others have said, your at Disney World. I wear my wdwmagic shirt at least 2 times a visit, and when pal Mickey came out I was like 24, and I ran around the parks with all 3 versions of him. I didn't even notice if anyone looked at me, and you shouldn't either. Have a magical afternoon!

cynic710

the world ( to my understanding at least) was built for you to be a kid again, and leave behind the judgements and sterotypes of reality, with that said, wear those ears all you want. The wife and i wore our newlyweds ears our whole honeymoon, and to this moment canr remember anyone starying because i didnt care. have your fun, and if the people staring cant, thats their problem. sorry you felt uncomfortable, here is to better times to come!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom