Backup Reservation Needed

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Original Poster
Our Next visit begins Dec. 6. My wife and I will celebrate her birthday on the 9th, and she chose to have dinner at The Dining Room at Wolfgang Puck's Cafe.

Either the menu has changed since we booked at 180 days, or I was looking at an old menu. I was really looking forward to trying their USDA Prime ribeye. Reviewing menus last week I noticed that the ribeye had been replaced by a strip steak. Some people love them, they can be great, but they just aren't my personal favorite. Looking closer at the menu my wife just wasn't excited and is open to a change.

We are on the DxDP so a restaurant that accepts it would be a big plus. We already have Yachtsman booked, and a past experience rules Le Cellier out. I'm stalking California Grill, but am open to just about anything that would provide a reasonable experience for a special occasion. Location isn't a big issue for us, since I'd already planned to take a taxi from The Contemporary to avoid a long and crowded bus ride.

Thanks in advance!

zurgandfriend

The Signature restaurants such as Citrico’s, Narcossee’s, Hollywood Brown Derby, and Artist Point all have a lot to offer. Also the seafood restaurants offer a variety of meals; Fulton’s, Flying Fish and Bluezoo are good as is Shula’s which isn’t on the dinning plan. I would review these menus and see want appeals to you and your DW.

The Incredible Schmulk

If you're really looking for a good rib eye, Shula's cowboy steak is the best on property, by far. There isn't even a close second. Unfortunately, as mentioned by @zurgandfriend, it is not on the dining plan. It's well worth the out-of-pocket expense, but if you're not looking to plop down a hundy and change on a meal, I certainly can't fault you.

Since Yachtsman is out (my pick for second best rib eye), I'd say give Artist Point a go. It's an easy reservation in an awesome resort, and the food is typically very good. They might not have the steak you're looking for, but with their love of game and seasonal ingredients, you may luck into something amazing. The menu changes a fair bit, so there's always a risk/reward factor in planning on picking a specific item before arrival. It could be replaced with something inferior, or a new item could pop up that is ten times better than anything you could have hoped for. Last time we were there, they had a venison carpaccio that wasn't on any of the online menu samples. It was freaking heaven. You just don't know what they're going to have in the place from week to week, which I think makes it kind of fun.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Captain's Grill has some nice steak options and I enjoyed my meal there. I would love to try Jiko or Artist's Point though, I think both are signature restaurants though for the dining plan. Kona cafe I think has steak, but I didn't enjoy my meal there.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Original Poster
If you're really looking for a good rib eye, Shula's cowboy steak is the best on property, by far. There isn't even a close second. Unfortunately, as mentioned by @zurgandfriend, it is not on the dining plan. It's well worth the out-of-pocket expense, but if you're not looking to plop down a hundy and change on a meal, I certainly can't fault you.

Since Yachtsman is out (my pick for second best rib eye), I'd say give Artist Point a go. It's an easy reservation in an awesome resort, and the food is typically very good. They might not have the steak you're looking for, but with their love of game and seasonal ingredients, you may luck into something amazing. The menu changes a fair bit, so there's always a risk/reward factor in planning on picking a specific item before arrival. It could be replaced with something inferior, or a new item could pop up that is ten times better than anything you could have hoped for. Last time we were there, they had a venison carpaccio that wasn't on any of the online menu samples. It was freaking heaven. You just don't know what they're going to have in the place from week to week, which I think makes it kind of fun.

You are speaking my language. The wife on the other hand would flee in horror, at the sight of carpaccio!:) Loves Sushi but any form of 'red' meat and she's more than a little iffy about it:) Fair is fair, because I'm not a big fan of raw fish...which I do tend to refer to as bait;)

The Incredible Schmulk

You are speaking my language. The wife on the other hand would flee in horror, at the sight of carpaccio!:) Loves Sushi but any form of 'red' meat and she's more than a little iffy about it:) Fair is fair, because I'm not a big fan of raw fish...which I do tend to refer to as bait;)
Well, I suppose Artist Point could offer a good compromise, then. They most likely won't have any sushi on the menu, but their cedar plank salmon is a staple, and it's almost always on the menu. I've never had it, but I've yet to read an even lukewarm review for the dish. When it's in season, they often have Copper River salmon on the menu, which is top notch stuff.

I've never had the steak at Flying Fish, but I hear it is also a good preparation. If you're willing to take a hit in the quality of meat for an overall good to great meal (and one that will satisfy the wife's aversion to red meat), Flying Fish is certainly on the table. The muscles appetizer alone is reason enough to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom